pacificm

Are Mixamo Animations Baked?

pacificm    0

Mixamo is a very attractive tool for importing rigged, animated characters into C4D.  https://www.mixamo.com/#/

But, while Mixamo does a good job of providing good, basic animations, it doesn't supply the kind of customization that can be provided in C4D.  My understanding is that if Mixamo doesn't bake a key frame on every frame, then refining Mixamo animations in C4D would be reasonably doable.  However, if they are "baked" then that would not be the case.

So, my questions:

1) Are Mixamo animations "baked" or not when they are imported into C4D?  

2) How can I check a Mixamo animation or any animation for that matter to see if it is "baked" or not?

Please advise.  Thanks!

Smicksus    11

1) No they are not baked. If you import the FBX file you can adjust the animations of the rig in the animations layout.

2) I don't think baked animation exist in the FBX format you are downloading it in.

Make sure you download the file in .FBX with skin.

Rectro    560

Mixamo bakes every frame onto the joints same as MODO bakes animation.

Dan

baked.jpg

pacificm    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you both for your replies.  I am confused now, though.  One reply is saying that they are not baked.  And the other reply is stating that every frame is baked.

I am downloading the files in the .FBX format with skins.  Just to clarify, Mixamo was bought out by Adobe.  The same software is now called Fuse and is part of the Adobe Creative Cloud.  I am generating my animations from Fuse.

Considering the two different replies above, please clarify if the Mixamo/Fuse animations are "baked" or not when they are imported into C4D using the .FBX format.  Thank you.

Rectro    560
    On 25/09/2017 at 4:21 PM, pacificm said:

My understanding is that if Mixamo doesn't bake a key frame on every frame, then refining Mixamo animations in C4D would be reasonably doable.  However, if they are "baked" then that would not be the case.

You can bake animation into geometry called PLA, point Level Animation, thats called baked, Mixamo does not bake animation into PLA.  You can  bake simulations such as cloth, and dynamics into PLA.  What your asking is does every joint on a mixamo animation have a keyframe, and the answer is yes.  Download a mixamo animation as you can check it out for yourself. Bake term can also be used when converting animation Mocap into another rig called retagettting, but the key frames are forced into the target rig no longer needing the  MVH mocap rig to drive the target.

The Mixamo rigged character without animation is not baked, its ready to have animation baked to it after retargetting, Motion clips. or a pluging  such as  Stady bake to bake animation to PLA, not rig then needed.

I hope that makes more sence.

Dan

mixamo baked.jpg

SPOD    1

You can edit them, but they're dense with keyframes, of course.  For smaller movements like torso changes or head movements in the animation I put a null around those sections in the skeleton (say, find the neck in the skeleton) and animated that null to make the head move independently without getting in the way of the premade animation.

smoresahoy    0

Does anyone know how to bake a rigged mesh with an animation from mixamo in such a way that it imports into Unity as a single mesh with a skin mesh renderer?