Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

BigAl3D

The Birth of Motion Graphics

BigAl3D    37

Just saw this short video on the Greyscale Gorilla Slack channel. Pretty fascinating where it all began. I definitely remember seeing graphics like this all over TV.

The Last Analog Motion Graphics Machine

• Like 1

Igor    459

Really impressive to see where we are now and how was it then. :) 

nerv    232

Ooh I love this.  I remember being a kid in the 80s and thinking that stuff looked so cool.  

And as an audio synthesizer aficionado, I love the idea of turning a knob and seeing an immediate result.  

Good stuff. 

lopakam    35

I saw that, but you may also want to read about Ernie Kovacs.  In my opinion, he may have been the first.  Real interesting guy.  What he did in the 1950s with early TV cameras is amazing.

Mark

bobc4d    87

that thing should be in the Smithsonian to hold for posterity 

Zmotive    49

Yeah I remember watching TV graphics like that as a kid. Never knew how they were made (always suspected some type of console and a machine to record the screen output to film). Amazing stewardship by that guy to keep a piece of history (literally - since there are only a couple left) running and in good order.

Cutman    138

People working in the real-time video field will be very familiar with the names Rutt and Etra (because every RT system has a digital Rutt Etra effect) the geniuses behind the Rutt/Etra Video synthesiser which laid a lot of the ground work for electronic video effects and motion graphics.

http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vidsynth/ruttetra/ruttetra.htm

But if you want to go further back to the birth of analogue (film) Motion Graphics you absolutely cannot ignore the work of Len Lye for the GPO film unit and his contemporary Oskar Fischinger. This was the real birth of Mograph, just consider the art in the process as well as the end result. No cloners here, just painstaking stop motion and genius.

• Awesome 1

Zmotive    49

Amazing the concept goes back that far. Nice info Cutman. Thanks.

arail    22

Imagine how futuristic that must have looked in 1936

nerv    232

That Fischinger piece is AMAZING. Best thing I've seen all week.