Jump to content

Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:


Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!


Pantheon

A collection of beginner questions.

Recommended Posts

Pantheon    0

I was reading about quads vs tris and a lot of people were saying they rarely have to use triangles. Why would they ever have to use them? Is there anything you can't model with all quads? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthos    4

I was confused at first as well when getting into modelling. Actually you can model anything with quads if you spend enough time thinking about your topology as far as I know, but sometimes it make sense to use a few triangles in your model to make things easier and faster, also from my experience as a beginner modeler it changing a triangle to a quad can mean a lot of tweaking and potentially corrupting your topology at other places just to make this change that really doesn't matter much in the end as computer processing power can largely deal with a few triangles on a model. 

 

Don't take my word for it though, that's just thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pantheon    0

Yea, having triangles or n-gons can be a lot faster and easier sometimes, but there are lot of nice scripts which can speed things up when using all quads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arthos    4
1 hour ago, Pantheon said:

Yea, having triangles or n-gons can be a lot faster and easier sometimes, but there are lot of nice scripts which can speed things up when using all quads.

 

Like which ones? I'm interested in those scripts!

(Are you talking about HB modeling bundle or...?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VECTOR    335

The answer is no, there is literally nothing that can't be modelled with all quads, even a triangle itself, yea it's easier to use a triangle, or n-gon but that doesn't mean it's better, taking the easier option is just lazy in my opinion, and you should have this mindset from the very beginning, learning to plan things out ahead of time is a valuable skill to have, and if done right, everything will fit together nicely like a puzzle, id much rather redo a section, so that i can solve it to quads rather than just whack a triangle in there for the sake of it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pantheon    0
13 hours ago, VECTOR said:

The answer is no, there is literally nothing that can't be modelled with all quads, even a triangle itself, yea it's easier to use a triangle, or n-gon but that doesn't mean it's better, taking the easier option is just lazy in my opinion, and you should have this mindset from the very beginning, learning to plan things out ahead of time is a valuable skill to have, and if done right, everything will fit together nicely like a puzzle, id much rather redo a section, so that i can solve it to quads rather than just whack a triangle in there for the sake of it.  

 

I agree 100%. That's my exact mindset. It's interesting how you can model the same object in different ways, and thinking about how to make something in all quads is like solving a puzzle in a way.

 

13 hours ago, Arthos said:

 

Like which ones? I'm interested in those scripts!

(Are you talking about HB modeling bundle or...?)

 

Yea, HB is a good one. I just bought it and he just made the most amazing update to it with the viewport select feature. Now you can select different objects while in points/edge/polygon mode just by hitting a shortcut on your keyboard while hovering over the object in the viewport. Go check out the latest video he released today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arthos    4

Sounds super cool, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pantheon    0

I'm just going to use this one thread to post all of my questions instead of creating a new thread every time.

 

Does anyone know how to create specific reflections on an object? What if you wanted to recreate the exact reflections on this attached object. What method would you use to do it?

buick-logo-chrome-tri-shield-e1436899462650.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3DKiwi    306

I wouldn't use C4D. I would do it in a Vector drawing program which this appears to be. That said you could probably get a more pleasing result in C4D. Just a matter of apply a HDRI to a sky object. This gives the metal surface something to reflect. Different HDRI's will produce different results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×