Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Sign in to follow this  
Sircharles

Lighting at Night

Sircharles    1

Hi has anyone any tips for lighting a street scene at night (Brick wall). Realistic lighting is what I;m after, but I don't have any hdri's for a real scene.

Can spots and areas do it?

I need a soft falloff of an alleyway. 

Graham

MJohnny    32

Real world picture of what you're going after could be useful, although yes, omni lights for street lighting and area lights for shining windows could be fine.

You can always use sunny day hdri with decreased exposure if you like.

Cerbera    1,205

I'd try a really simple solution first - pale blue/grey directional light to simulate moonlight (raytraced or area shadows) and a simple darker blue omni set to ambient illumination only, and about 12-18% strength to fill in the shadows a little. Get some AO in there to fill in the details, especially if you are using bump, normal, or displacement on your wall. You can tint that subtly blue too.

CBR

Sircharles    1
  • Topic Author
  • Hi all,

Its just a brick wall I'm truing to light and shade.

I think I'll get away with an area light falloff of some kind maybe?

But the shader needs a bit of work, I have painted a displace and bump, but unsure where to put reflection map and which setting to use in new Reflectance.

Graham

Cerbera    1,205

A brick wall shouldn't have much in the way of reflectance - just delete the specular layer that is in there by default, add a Beckman layer, set it's fresnel to 'asphalt', give it a roughness of 60-80%, and then drop its reflection or layer level down to 15-20%.

CBR

Sircharles    1
  • Topic Author
  • Cheers CbR, Im prob over thinking it, just trying to get some realism in the shot.

think the bump and displacement should do it though.