Guest dreamline

Folding of a box

Guest dreamline

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been active with 3d design, but I've started again and am having troube to create a box that has folded edges like a matchbox . Attached an image of the part I'm having trouwble with. My question: How would you start a box with folded corners and ofcourse depth as shown in the picuture. All the tutorials I've  seen show folded boxes  but without thickness  on the folded parts.

How would you create these folded parts? When using splines to create the matchbox then I'm missing thickness. :( So I have no idea how to create the thickness when using splines to draw the unfolded matchbox.

Thanks for any help.

matchbox_example.jpg

3 hours ago, dreamline said:

So I have no idea how to create the thickness when using splines to draw the unfolded matchbox.

Don't use splines to model it - do it with proper poly modelling, double symmetry and SDS, so you only have to make one difficult corner ;)

It's actually quite a tricky thing to explain in words how to model this without painstakingly doing it step by step. Fortunately I have time...

What no shell ?

Apart from the regular extrude (with caps) tool , C4D does not have a shell (add thickness) command. It does have cloth SDS, which is close, but comes with the disadvantage that it contains no control loops, so you will always have to make it editable at some point, and add them yourself. For this reason, when doing modelling that requires you to see procedural thickness I use a free plugin called XS-Thickness, which is better than Cloth SDS because it does come with control loops and therefore can stay parametric right to the end.

So start off by downloading and installing that, then proceed as follows...

(Note: I have made quite a loose corner for clarity; you will want to get things closer than I did for your final model)...

1. Start with a simple flat plane, at world zero, the size of the base of your matchbox, with 2 segments on X and Z. Make editable.

1.thumb.jpg.ac415d1f0cfb344fdff9a193d7e8b9a2.jpg

2. In points mode, delete enough points so you only have a quarter of the base remaining, and, holding Alt as you add them, put this under symmetry twice (choose correct symmetry plane in each) so you recreate the whole base. Now we only have to work on a single corner.

In the symmetry options for both, tick both options (delete polys, clamp on axis etc)

3. Select the top symmetry object, and holding alt again, add xs thickness to the scene so your symmetry objects become a child of it, set some suitable values (I used 1 cm thickness / 0.1 cm on the ctrl loops) but then turn it off for now. It's important to get this working in the right direction, which will depend on which way your normals are facing, so use negative values if you have to to get it working adding thickness on the inside. You can reverse your normals at any time if they are wrong, but for this model, you need that sorted now.

3. Work on the end of the matchbox first, and using ctrl-drag in edge mode, pull out the 4 polygons required to make the end loop of the box, like so...

2.thumb.jpg.81ee700bddc767a88ff0c3c7f5c20875.jpg

Check that with thickness applied, and adjust as necessary before turning it off again.

2b.thumb.jpg.f9622f8a161230106ba97b820e604e90.jpg

4. Now let's begin the sides. Using ctrl drag, pull the side edge out once, and up 3 times to get this...

3.thumb.jpg.1bec9af9ed17f3794f10de4a14720296.jpg

The selected edge above shows what we're pulling out next... add these 2 polys (below) by ctrl dragging again, and check with the thickness enabled that nothing is intersecting. If it is move polygons until it isn't !

4.thumb.jpg.996d5d4d1c202d42e941cc0e7ff96ac1.jpg  4b.thumb.jpg.6245d47e415c667adcefeb0910a2fcbc.jpg

5. Now we need to add some bevels to the corner edges, like so. I used 2 subdivisions on the tab, and just 1 on the folded loop.

5.thumb.jpg.e8799089024762d0917dee3ce1553255.jpg

I haven't done it here, but if you want to add a few loops to add a subtle curvature to the box, now is the time to do it !

6. Now we need to add control loops (using knife tool / loop mode) in the following places, so it holds its form under SDS. Again, check with thickness enabled...

6.thumb.jpg.bbe73bd62a706b3ece1a6d616f72a3e3.jpg  6b.thumb.jpg.4a1e7dbd788a2dece9fe703277eb05e9.jpg

7. Now we can put the whole thing under SDS to get this lovely result, which we can further tweak to perfection...

7.thumb.jpg.e520013597eac3d6e33d95961acca700.jpg

8. Finally, you can do a Current State to object on the XSthickness, which will give you a single poly model of the whole box. now you can check the normals again to make sure they are orange on the outside (reverse them if not), and you're done.

Hope that helps...

CBR

• Like 2

Idk, but this can be done with double extrusion method and double symmetry, but it does make more polygons as expected. You can also divide each parts, them optimize it if all measurements are correct.

Guest dreamline
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks guys for the tips and especially to cerbera for the screen shots. :) This definately is helping me a whole lot. :)

I usually thicken stuff just by extruding it with 0 offset and than scaling it. Yet it only works at non complex geometry. But might be handy in certain situations

Guest dreamline
  • Topic Author
  • Hi all,

A few years back I created a matchbox with some help from c4dcafe, however I have no clue how I created these edges anymore since I didnt' write it down. I am 100% sure I created some knife cuts and rounded the corners with Bevel and Chamfer, but I have no clue anymore how I created the other cuts on top (for the corner). Attached a picture off the effect I'm after. I have marked the part of the cuts I'm having trouble with in red.  

If only I could remember how I did this LOL.

The xsThickness works perfect too, however it's always good to know other techniques too. And I would like to remember this one. :lol:

matchbox_old.jpg

2 hours ago, dreamline said:

Hi all,

A few years back I created a matchbox with some help from c4dcafe, however I have no clue how I created these edges anymore since I didnt' write it down. I am 100% sure I created some knife cuts and rounded the corners with Bevel and Chamfer, but I have no clue anymore how I created the other cuts on top (for the corner). Attached a picture off the effect I'm after. I have marked the part of the cuts I'm having trouble with in red.  

If only I could remember how I did this LOL.

The xsThickness works perfect too, however it's always good to know other techniques too. And I would like to remember this one. :lol:

matchbox_old.jpg

That might be caused by knife cut. You made some N-gons there. If you will use a non-image texture, it's ok to have that extra N-gons there.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:27 PM, DrDisco said:

I usually thicken stuff just by extruding it with 0 offset and than scaling it. Yet it only works at non complex geometry. But might be handy in certain situations

You can also simulate the thickness effect by duplicating the object, reversing the normals of the other copy, make the 2 objects as one, extrude them in (desired thickness / 2), then optimize to reduce point count.

Guest dreamline
  • Topic Author
  • Hi SolarPH,

Thanks, but they are not N-Gons. N-Gons are not selectable in Poly mode right? I remember that I created a cube and used chamfer to round the corners. But I have no clue on creating the cuts as shown in the picutre. I should have made a tutorial on that  for myself though. LOL

matchbox_old_002.jpg

Guys, this is not how to make a corner. That diamond on the outer edge is not a good thing, so you shouldn't be trying to replicate that...

This is what rounded corner topology should look like...

59d5a1d4dbe06_cornersagain.thumb.jpg.a0629c092b5ea66c647d6d64bb6de926.jpg

CBR

• Like 1

Guest dreamline
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera. I assume you used a tube to create the corner right?

5 minutes ago, dreamline said:

Thanks Cerbera. I assume you used a tube to create the corner right?

Almost. I started with quarter of a disc primitive. 

CBR

Guest dreamline
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks again. I'm gonna try and mode the box with this technique as a second option. The xsThickness worked perfectly for the box I'm creating, but a different technique to create the same thing is always good to know. :) This time I'll make a tutorial for myself so I won't forget if I don't model for a longer period of time. hahaha.