• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Cerbera

IQP Official: Drinking Bottle Challenge

On 10/5/2017 at 3:07 AM, VECTOR said:

it's quite a tricky s

Yes i can :D also yes it is quite a tricky shape, here's a rough, quick example, minus some of the finer details, that it can be done 

lid_example.png

That's a really decent start and a fellow c4d user too! :D  I had a few cracks at this last night, this is a tough one.  Constantly thinking about it, even picked up someones protein shaker lid at work and started dissecting it.  Did you model in the twirl or do you use something like a helix spline? If we're not allowed to talk about this stiff just say mods and I'll be silent :)

27 minutes ago, daddycoull said:

That's a really decent start and a fellow c4d user too! :D  I had a few cracks at this last night, this is a tough one.  Constantly thinking about it, even picked up someones protein shaker lid at work and started dissecting it.  Did you model in the twirl or do you use something like a helix spline? If we're not allowed to talk about this stiff just say mods and I'll be silent :)

Haha you know you've got the bug when you're doing it at work :) yea it was just a quick play around :P no splines just modeled it in, i don't see a problem discussing it, as long as we dont give away any specifics :P the spiral was relatively easy, the tricky part is the transition from a sharp edge on the spiral into a smooth surface on the spout bit

lid_2.thumb.png.5a834160ab05c854b65a305525fd8d1d.png

I always seem to miss the initial announcement so I'm down to about two weeks. Didn't quite finish last month's hook on time but I'll post some WIPs here this month if only to encourage other participants. 

Unfortunately, I am already too obsessed with geometry so this is encouraging a bad habit when I should be learning some other things instead ::):

Day One:

shaker-2017.10.12crop.jpg

1 hour ago, Hart said:

I always seem to miss the initial announcement so I'm down to about two weeks. Didn't quite finish last month's hook on time but I'll post some WIPs here this month if only to encourage other participants. 

Unfortunately, I am already too obsessed with geometry so this is encouraging a bad habit when I should be learning some other things instead ::):

Day One:

No such thing thing as too obsessed :D 

2 hours ago, Hart said:

Day One:

Wouldn't worry about being late to the party, I was 11 days behind when the email popped up in my gmail (thanks gmail *shakes fist*).  I go on holiday next week, so I'll only have around a week, but hopefully I'll at least crack the complexity of the lid before the 30th!

So I've got the swirl in the lid, but that's also messing up my geometry flow haha. How the heck do I fix the edge flow here?! I could continue the edge around, but there's nowhere for it to connect :(

edges.png

Guest Rudebwoy

Can we see more of your mesh, in order to get a better understanding?

1 hour ago, Rudebwoy said:

Can we see more of your mesh, in order to get a better understanding?

I think I got it looking descent. Not 100% happy with it but how much time should I spend on it before I go crazy lol

lid.png

looking nice so far! needs a little love at the bottom of the spout there but other wise looking good 

53 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

looking nice so far! needs a little love at the bottom of the spout there but other wise looking good 

Thanks! I must admit...it's not all quads lol. I didn't realize how important it was to avoid triangles and N-Gons. I've always left them in and just tried to make it work the best I could.

5 minutes ago, mrittman said:

Thanks! I must admit...it's not all quads lol. I didn't realize how important it was to avoid triangles and N-Gons. I've always left them in and just tried to make it work the best I could.

:O well you still have 2 weeks to get it all quads :D

3 hours ago, VECTOR said:

:O well you still have 2 weeks to get it all quads :D

Yeah.... I probably won't win this one lol