everfresh

some renders of a project i'm working on

everfresh    174

started to work on something different for a change a couple of weeks ago, no cel rendered stuff this time... had a lot of fun building the materials. was a bit tricky to get the post DOF right in conjunction with hair, but fortunately i found a solution that works perfectly.  all physical renderer, no GI. car model by vector.

testcomp_main.jpg

marten_pres_lines.jpg

red_pres_lines.jpg

red_pres.jpg

marten_pres.jpg

marten_close_02.jpg

marten_close_01.jpg

car.jpg

car_close.jpg

red_pres_close.jpg

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

VECTOR    392

Outstanding as usual, especially the car, that's just some thing else !

Smicksus    11

Awesome work! I realy love this. I lobe the detail in the wool vest he is wearing. How do you get the wool detail?  Is it with hair? 

frankm    11

What they said - looks absolutely fantastic!

What was the post DOF problem/solution?

-f

(Also, I found your Vimeo channel the other day - there's some phenomenal stuff there too!  Really love your rigs and the 2D/3D work.)

everfresh    174
  • Topic Author

@Smicksus yeah, there's some fine hair on the hoodie to make it fluffy, other than that i used a fresnel masked with a noise, that also helped a lot selling the fabric feel.

@frankm the problem was that i had a hard time getting clean edges everywhere while still preserving the very fine hair details when using heavy DOF in post. also hair buffers render out buggy with physical renderer, you get a lot of unwanted artifacts. also i needed the hair depth map to be perfectly sharp, so i had to render out the hair buffers separately with standard renderer and then combine the hair depth with the position pass in post. but that alone didn't cut it, still had some jaggy areas here and there. i ended up rendering out everything at 2x the size and scale it down again to the actual size later to get the clean edges and keep the fine hair details. render times remained about the same, since i lowered the render settings accordingly. also the position and depth passes need to be 32 bit in order to get clean results.

• Like 1

digitvisions    59

Brilliant work, fresh as ever. I specially like the furry creature . Nice car model Vector.

Ah. I just rememberd what that creature reminds me of; a cross breed between the hyenas from the lion king and the meerkats.::):

• Like 1

CApruzzese    59

I love your style, there's nothing else like I've seen! That little critter looks AMAZING

3D-Pangel    190

Just outstanding.....in every single way imaginable!   I just love the lighting more now that you said it was without GI

Dave

frankm    11
    On 08/10/2017 at 8:01 AM, everfresh said:

the problem was that i had a hard time getting clean edges everywhere while still preserving the very fine hair details when using heavy DOF in post. also hair buffers render out buggy with physical renderer, you get a lot of unwanted artifacts. also i needed the hair depth map to be perfectly sharp, so i had to render out the hair buffers separately with standard renderer and then combine the hair depth with the position pass in post. but that alone didn't cut it, still had some jaggy areas here and there. i ended up rendering out everything at 2x the size and scale it down again to the actual size later to get the clean edges and keep the fine hair details. render times remained about the same, since i lowered the render settings accordingly. also the position and depth passes need to be 32 bit in order to get clean results.

heh heh - come to show some work, leave having solved a problem I didn't even know I had yet...   cheers, dude  ;)

everfresh    174
  • Topic Author
  • thanks guys, really appreciate it.

did some facial expression tests the other night...

red_expressions.jpg

• Like 1

Keith    2

Fabulous work!  I love your texturing.