Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobc4d

why does align normals not always work?

• Topic Author
  • working on a project and I had a oil tank object which I had modified, but when I selected all polygons I had some normals  which were reversed. so I selected all polygons and ran align normals, nothing happened. I tried several times, still nothing.   

curiosity got me so I opened a new project, selected tank object, made editable, selected polys, reversed normals, they turned blue, selected all polys, ran align normals and all beautiful golden color,so of course it worked just fine. :confused:

Yeah sometimes cinema gets confused, and Align Normals doesn't work. Even in R19, where that tool is apparently rewritten for the new core still gets confused ! :)

But you can usually get round it by selecting a few polys, reversing the normals, and aligning them in smaller sections... takes a bit of fiddling about sometimes but I've never not got there in the end ;)

CBR

If you're working with a mesh that has seen a lot of work, quite often running an optimize before you align normals will help things along...