Cinema 4D Plugins

ccarrieta    0

Hi guys I have a CSV file that was exported from a medical mapping system.. I have been trying to import it into C4D but have not been able to, it might not be just wanted to upload it and see if any one here can make anything of it.  Thanks

ModelPointCloud.csv

ABMotion    118

I have edited the CSV file for you to make it easier, but I had to remove the top few lines from the CSV file, remove the columns except for the raw_x,y & z. All areas I removed are marked red in screenshot below. I have assumed this is correct, but if not, you'll need to obviously edit what I've done.

You then need to create a new first column and name the top row for the column headers as Point, X, Y, Z and down the first column you've just created, under the title row, add 0,1,2...etc until the last row. Instructions in screenshot of what I did:

CSV_File_Instructions.thumb.png.6bb90d76f3edf90b6e20e2d09b3aede7.png

Completed CSV that worksModelPointCloud (Edited).csv

Not sure what you want to do from there for the Point Cloud. Obviously, because it's a Point Cloud it won't render as it is, but I'll leave the rest up to you or come back with specific questions.

The basics for importing a Point Cloud:

1. Create a Polygon Object and make it editable
  2. Go to the Structure manager and make sure Mode>Points is set (this is the default)
  3. Do Ctrl (Cmd)+A to select all rows and press delete
  4. Go to File>Import ASCII Data and select the edited CSV file (above)

You should now have a point cloud and go from there.

Example I got from your data:

Example_Point_Cloud.thumb.png.10b5245925c185ec51037b1f015ff693.png

ccarrieta    0
  • Topic Author
  • I messed with meshlab (new to the program) and I got a triangle mesh into c4D any idea where to take this or how to add a mess to the point cloud once created inside C4D.. I tried to upload my c4d file but size is 2.4 mgb so it won't allow here is a picture of what I have.59dbda075548e_ScreenShot2017-10-09at4_19_26PM.thumb.png.d6f826010d90ec1f7037fb1aaa4e8578.png

ABMotion    118

Unfortunately you are not explaining what end result you're trying to achieve, so it's hard to help you any more than I already have.

Using MeshLab you can create a single-surface triangulated mesh rather than the lines you have shown in your screenshot. See these tutorials for help with MeshLab https://www.youtube.com/user/MrPMeshLabTutorials/videos

This is a specific video about Point Cloud to Mesh using MeshLab :

Edited by ABMotion
    Added a specific new tutorial

ABMotion    118

I thought I'd add another program that you might find easier that MeshLab to use.

It's called Instant Meshes (https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes) and you can import an OBJ file (created using the instructions above for the Point Cloud and export as OBJ) from Cinema 4D.

You can download the pre-compiled binaries (portable program) for Windows, Mac and Linux further down the page I've linked to under the title Pre-compiled binaries

ccarrieta    0
  • Topic Author
  • Also I attached my latest attempt with meshlab.. its look good but the mesh looks very triangled not sure if this can be smoothed.. I also attached how it should look like.  Mainly smoother..

meshi2.c4d

ABMotion    118
    On 10/11/2017 at 1:38 PM, ccarrieta said:

not able to open the file in instant mesh I uploaded my .obj file and see if you have any ideas into how to open it...

Untitled 3.c4d

The .obj was a .c4d file, so upload that actual .obj you have for that.

On 10/11/2017 at 1:40 PM, ccarrieta said:

I also attached how it should look like.  Mainly smoother..

You didn't attach what it it supposed to look like either in your last post, so upload what it is supposed to look like.

To be honest, looking at the mesh you've created from Meshlab, the geometry is very messy from your data. The normals are out of alignment and can't be corrected using Align Normals in Cinema 4D. It has messy n-gons throughout. Smoothing or subdividing it won't help at all as the base geometry is so messy. You need to clean it up manually before trying any of those smoothing techniques.

If you know what it's supposed to look like, where are you getting that from? Can you possibly get a different output from them? Are you sure that the raw x,y, & z data is the correct data to be used from your CSV? Remember I said to check that as I had to guess without knowing anything about you or your client and data.

I have tried to help you as much as I can but it is hard for me to help much further. I have given you the techniques for converting the CSV to a point cloud and creating a mesh from point cloud data, but from there, it is hard as I am not in control of the data you've been given and have no clue what it's supposed to look like.

ccarrieta    0
  • Topic Author
  • thanks for the help actually your tips have helped a lot, the point cloud is exported from a 3d medical mapping system, and I am positive they have there own proprietary way of handling data so its impossible to export in a clean way.