Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

Smicksus

Workflow of making a shoreline

Smicksus    11

Hi guy's,

I was watching the animated short Piper from Pixar the other day and I questioned myself how I should make a shoreline in Cinema 4D. I think it is pretty hard and I almost immediately think of Realflow, but that would be a hell of simulating. Does any of you have experience with creating a shoreline? I would love to hear what your workflow would be. Maybe I can learn a thing or two.

Greatings

If you haven't seen Piper:

I've read somewhere that Pixar actually modelled a bunch of sand grains and the beach you see are exist out of billions of grains. Imagine the power needed to render that. 

Anyway. I think realflow would give the most realistic result but pretty heavy to simulate indeed. Can't give you any advise on that since I've never worked with that...

MJohnny    29

As RF doesn't have a sand simulation like the one we can see in the video, I would vouch for Houdini. It has both fluid & sand sim, though I'm not sure to what level of detail it can be used.

Smicksus    11

@PrivatePolygon yes it's ridiculous how they can manage that. I have to learn more about RealFlow to simulate a shore but maybe I give it a try some day.

@MJohnny I'm not familiar with Houdini but I will watch some video's of their simulation system thanks.

@ABMotion Wow that's really cool! Thanks for the link.  I should look up a bit more on Octane, but I just started with Redshift so I want to learn more about that first. I see you use Redshift as well do you think there is a way with Redshift?

ABMotion    20

I'm still relatively new to Redshift myself, and haven't used either of the following methods yet, but I'll try to give direction to experiment with:

Whilst Redshift doesn't have something like Octane Scatter yet, Redshift has Proxies using the Cinema 4D export menu and reimporting using Proxy Object which is an efficient way of rendering many items only at render time. It's efficient in the viewport as well, as you can preview the proxies as bounding boxes only.

There are also Instances that automatically convert all Cinema 4D instances (Instance Objects, Cloners etc.) to equivalent Redshift instances.

ABMotion    20

Adding to this thread,  Liam Clisham released a tutorial on Redshift Proxies today, so thought I'd add it for future reference.