Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

thanulee

Render queue questions

thanulee    3

Hi, i ve set up some renders overnight. If my c4d crashes for some reason, i lose all stuff in render queue? Or continues from where it left of automatically when i re launch it?
In general i noticed that i can close the scenes with render queue and just leave c4d running and it will do the job. How does this work under the hood? Storing the scene somewhere internally or in my pc? Any tips in general to avoid or do stuff other way? thanks a lot

Decarlo    18

Given how the Render Queue behaves, I presume that it makes a copy of the scene file and logs which frames have been rendered to so that it can continue where it left off (whether you stop the render, close C4D, or have a crash).  I feel like the details are moot; if your computer crashes, check your files and see what rendered and what didn't.

Best practice is to render a sequence of image files, rather than a video file.  If something happens to any part of the video, it's lost and you're starting from scratch. With an image sequence, you only have to render the specific frames that need fixing.  Adobe Premiere and After Effects will import image sequences and treat them like a video clip.

thanulee    3

Thanks, so if lets say it crashes and it has stopped at frame 25 out of 100. If i go to render queue again and just press render it will automatically continue from 26 or it will start over the job? thanks

Decarlo    18

It should.  It would also take you 2 seconds to test this and confirm it for yourself.  Start a render, wait a few frames, force-quit the app, reopen and check.

thanulee    3

Its not same as crashing thats why im asking. One more question, are jobs reusable after finish, like if i press again render it will do the exact same action? 

Decarlo    18

Force quitting an app while it is running is exactly the same as crashing. 

You should take a few minutes, test what you can and cannot do with the queues, and answer these things for yourself. :)

thanulee    3

I m learning c4d from 0 in 1 week for a commercial, so sorry for asking those technical stuff and i dont have time between working and googling to test em.
Ye sure i tested and testing a lot of things all day, and at nights before bed i post so i can find answers in the morning for what i didnt have time to test.
So can u please answer my question? Ur not obliged, but instead of this "test it on ur own" if u want help me out.
Thanks..

Decarlo    18

I don't know whether you can reuse a render. I've never tried.  I don't see the point, either, because the only reason to render something a second time is if you changed something - at which point you would be submitting a new render to the queue.  Clicking "Render > Send to Render Queue" from your project when you're ready to render again doesn't seem very hard to me if you're actually trying to re-run the exact same thing.

ninjad    9

Yea, just render out the file sequence. If the computer crashes just check you render folder to see what rendered, open the project file again, change the render settings to include only the frames that didn't render, save and re-add to the queue. Nothing to get worked up about.

Also the render queue is saved between open and closing the application. If you setup a long queue and are worried about it getting lost on a crash, just close C4D and reopen it before starting the queue and at least you know it will be saved at that point.

thanulee    3

tyvm