Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

BigAl3D

Odd Results

BigAl3D    37

So I finally bit the bullet and bought Cycles 4D. I just set up a simple scene to mess with lighting. Set it up in real-world scale. I dropped a chrome material to emphasise the issue. For whatever reason, any material I put on the floor only renders in gray except in the center of the reflection of the sphere. There you can see the wood floor in all it's color glory. I know I'm new to Cycles, but seems this should work without too much difficulty. 

Any ideas what could cause this?

Odd Results.jpg

Cycles Testing.c4d.zip

Fastbee    52

I'm thinking it's the setting for the ior of the floor, but can't be certain without looking at the file.  From the picture it looks as thought he whole room is gray so it more curious to me why the reflection in the sphere has color when the rest of the scene has no color.

BigAl3D    37

Thanks @Fastbee. The scene file is attached as well. Yeah, the walls and ceiling are off-white. The trim below is bright white and the floor is wood planks. Even more curious is the color in the reflection is only on part of the reflection. I'm baffled.

OK so I dropped the IOR for the wood to 1.0 and the color is as expected. I don't understand how IOR works in these PBR engines. The color is back, but the reflection is gone. I hope the manual is good at explaining the functions. We'll see.

Fastbee    52

The normals of the room are facing the wrong direction.

• Awesome 1

BigAl3D    37

Ahhhh! You got me on that one. I started with a cube and made it editable. Totally forgot about the normals. I usually have them off on-screen so a heavy scene doesn't get too busy.