Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

Robbxx    0

Hey,

I've been trying to have this answered for a while and hope I am posting in the right place here. 

I am trying to add mocap data (from Rokoko smartsuit) to a Mixamo rigged character. The problem is that the mocap skeleton is a different size then the Mixamo skeleton. When I retarget the character mesh distorts to match the exact position of the Rokoko data. I want it to keep it's original rigged and weighted skeleton structure and interpret the mocap skeleton to drive it. I don't want to make the skeletons the exact same size as I want the character to have different proportions to the mocap actor. The Mixamo skeleton has no animation and is in T pose and I have reordered the bone hierarchy and their orientation to match the Rokoko skeleton. 

An exaggerated example of this would be a 3d rigged character wth really long arms to which I am trying to add mocap data from an actor with really short arms. In my current workflow that would result in the long armed 3d characters arms distorting and folding to match the points of the short armed mocap data. What I would want instead is that the movements of the short armed actor are translated to the long arms as a sort of interpretation. 

I would be very grateful for any advice on this. Thanks! 

Screenshot 2017-10-12 11.37.54.png

Screenshot 2017-10-12 11.37.26.png

Rectro    497

Hi

If you bring the large skeleton into its own scene and do a scene scale down then it will keep the animation in tact you can then copy and paste this into your scene with main rig.  If the  joint orientation is different then it will not work regardless of scale.

You can also use motion clips but the rigs must match as stated.  i find its much easier to use Mixamo animation with Mixamo rigs.

Dan

Robbxx    0

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. 

The problem with scaling up the rigged character is that I will never be able to perfectly match the mocap skeleton. There are slight differences in the length of their limbs or like you can see in the attached screengrab, the hips are in very different positions. I have changed the joint orientation already so that shouldn't be the issue. 

If I understand you correctly you are saying that both the character rig and the mocap skeleton should align perfectly in Tpose? I'm assuming there is a way around this to just have different sized skeletons. Fo instance, the actor Andy Serkis who plays Gollum has a different body shape to the 3d Gollum character yet his movements are translated to the 3d rig.  I'm assuming the equivalent is also possible in cinema.

It would be great if I can find a solution for this. 

Thanks for the help! 

Screenshot 2017-10-12 13.45.05.png

Rectro    497
19 minutes ago, Robbxx said:

If I understand you correctly you are saying that both the character rig and the mocap skeleton should align perfectly in Tpose?

No, they dont need to match in the Tpose, and Retargetting should allow for different scale skeletons as long as the joint orientation is the same.  I had given up with retargeting within C4D, had too many issues with it.  From memory In MODO I can bring in any scale skeleton and only its relative position and rotation drives the target rig, this is not the case with C4D from my finding, its not somthing im doing every day.  These days when I want animation I use Mixamo rig, Mixamo animation and Motion clips for fast results. At times I go through MODO as its ACS Kit lets me do things C4D cant do such as keep my IK FK full controllers in tact while using Mocap, auto conversion from Mixamo joints scale and position, orientation to ACS rig, and key frame editing over the top of Mocap keys, non of which C4D Studio Character tool can do.

If your target rig and mocap rig have different naming make sure you uncheck the "Hirearchy  instead of names option" for the retargeting tag options

Dan

Robbxx    0

Thanks for the input. Yeah I have all of the joint orientation the same and checked the hierarchy instead of names option. 

I'm a little surprised that there is no way of doing this in cinema. I'm not set on necessarily using a mixamo rig and would happily rig a character from scratch but again I would like to apply mocap from somewhere other then mixamo and with different proportions. Maybe retargeting isn't the right solution. But I was hoping to find a way of doing this within cinema. 

I would have guessed that this is a pretty common problem for anyone using mocap from various sources 

Robbxx    0

I had a look into Modo and this is exactly what I need but would like to do something similar in cinema 

Edited by Robbxx

Rectro    497

Modo with ACS Kit works even better and easier, there is nothing like that in C4D, not that works like that, and as fluid. The thing with the ACS Kit 2 is you can still rig your model with Mixamo to get ahead for skinning fast and joint placement, as this can be transfered onto a ACS Kit 2 Rig with ease, then you can import all your mocap files and 3 clicks its added to your rig.  Often is the case that the hands deform bad, or something is not right, this can be corrected using the IK/FK blending, even blending between Mocap and manual key frames on top of the Mocap keys to then bake all your mocap animations at once into its own Action layer.  

The Baked rigged from MODO can then be sent over to C4D, and all the mocap animations put into a Motion clips.  The good thing is you can also exchange weighting thats done in C4D back to the rig in MODO should you prefer the weight painting in C4D.

C4D has a way to go to get to this standard, but it does have the advantage of Quadrapead rigs that ACS Kit dont have, and NLA.

https://www.autocharactersetup.com/#product-overview

https://www.autocharactersetup.com/manual/#retargeting-support

Dan

Robbxx    0

Thanks for your help with this.  It's a little disappointing that this cannot be achieved in c4d yet but great that you have pointed me toward a solution. 

Cheers for the input!