Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

TheJimReaper

Restricting your selection

TheJimReaper    12

Hi guys,

I've never really needed to do this before  so don't know if it's even possible!!

I've got a model which I'll be printing soon, but I need to tidy it up a bit before I do.  I need to select all the points and polys in the -Y position! Is there a way to restrict one of the selection tools to do this? or maybe a plugin that can do it? or is it a do it yourself job?

I'm hoping for a easy way to do this as the mesh is really messy!  I don't know what software was used to create it, it looks like it could have been sculpted then through the export process to make it an .stl file it's got messy.

Dragon.jpg

Rectro    497

Its a decimated mesh, the triangles are all over the place, Im not clear what polygons could be said to be in the Y position, what is it you want to to do with this selection, what would you say is tidying it up?  I wuld have thought that as long as it is water tight, and has a mesh dencity thats within the level you need it would be fine?  Iv not done any 3d printing.

Dan

Cerbera    1,122

Yeah, I'm confused by the -Y points and polys thing too. Could you elaborate ?

CBR

TheJimReaper    12

The original post sounded right in my head at the time I wrote it, but after reading your replies I had a face palm! 'did I real type that' moment. 

I don't know how much you know about 3D printing, but in order to print a model you first have to run it through some slicing software which saves the model in a way the printer can understand it, and print it.  The slicing software breaks the model down into layers of between 0.1 mm up to 0.6 mm. The smaller the layer the finer the detail.  I intend to print this at 0.1 mm layer.

The base of the this model isn't level by 1 or 2 mm, it doesn't sound much, but when your dealing with 0.1 mm it's more than enough to screw up the slicing process and in turn the print!

So I need to level the base of the model and as you can see from the screen grab, it's not going to be easy!

Easiest way to explain it would be to say if you put a floor object into the scene at 0 Y position, and the points and polys that fall below that would be in the - Y position!!

It's been a while and it can get ab it confusing sometimes as the axis orientations of C4D and 3d printing software point in different directions.  It's not always a problem, but sometimes when I've saved a model in 1 orientation and open it in my slicer it's then facing a different way!!

Hope that helps

Jim

Rectro    497

It does sound confusing, no I haven't done any printing.  I know Zbrush gets used allot, maybe get the demo of that as read up on some tutorials.  You may want to also check out some videos for C4D 3d printing, or go the Zbrush route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yaC2tY6GQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USA29CuYOvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ORRxjfyPwA

Dan

Cerbera    1,122

Can't you fix this by rectangle selecting points close to Y0 in side or front orthographic views, and then use coordinates manager to scale / reposition those points to exactly Y0 ? Or if there was some reason that couldn't work, what about boolean subtracting a cube from it ?  Normally I wouldn't recommend booles, but here they can't make the topology any worse than it already is ! :)

CBR

digitvisions    31

Hi, I am afraid I have no real solution for you, I was thinking soft selection but looking at the mesh I don't thinks this will be possible. I never done 3d modelling for printing. I am just curious couldn't you modelled a base for the modell to stand on like a trophy? Or does it need to be one solid piece?

TheJimReaper    12

Thanks for the video links, I hadn't seen the C4D for 3d printing vids before so will be watching them.

I've been slowly working my way through manually selecting points and moving them up.  I did think of using a boolean myself, but even with 8 cores and 32GB RAM it practically stopped cinema from working!! So I scrapped that idea.

However, modelling a pedestal for it to stand on is a fantastic idea.  I think it may even enhance the look of it.  So I will be giving that a go.

The dragon on it's own will take about 40hrs to print, but once it's done I'll post a pic of it.

Thanks guys

Jim

• Like 1

Rectro    497
9 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

The dragon on it's own will take about 40hrs to print, but once it's done I'll post a pic of it.

40hrs  wow!  Is your printer slow, or is this an average time for most prints?  Iv been so tempted to get a printer, but been holding off as I felt the technology hasnt quite got it there yet for home users?  Iv got a few sculpts of mine id like to print, but I do wonder what id had to pay to get a fast, easy to use, decent size printer.  Look forward to see what your print comes out like.

Dan

TheJimReaper    12

Print times depend on what your printing and your print settings.  My quickest print was a book mark which took about 20mins, this dragon will be my longest when it's done.  There are so many things to consider it's hard to say.  I could cut that 40hrs down by reducing the size of the model, making the layers thicker, reducing the amount of infill, and so on, but I want it to be quite detailed.

I've just got myself the Creality CR-10, think it's only been on the market for about 7 or 8 months.  There's 4 versions of it. The smallest prints 150 mm W x 150 mm L x 200 mm H, then it's 300 mm W x 300 mm L x 400 mm H, then 400 mm W x 400 mm L x 400 mm H, and lastly 500 mm W x 500 mm L x 500 mm H.  I've got the 2nd 1 that does 300 mm W x 300 mm L x 400 mm H.  It's just big enough to print a full size helmet or mask, that type of thing you wear for cosplay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XRCCDM3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKc5NDRzTKo&t=1s

I can't fault it, and there's a ton of upgrades for it that make it better.  Most you print yourself, but some you can buy. Some of which the manufactures have added to the base model which are being shipped out with it.

Where about's in the UK are you?

Jim