DeCarlo    31

Poster for my upcoming short film! 

I've been in production (animation/rendering) for 118 straight days, with 17 more to go.  The story is about a rookie government agent who goes off on his own to find his first ufo, get evidence of his encounter, and earn the respect of his peers.  A lot of the film is his failed attempts to snap a photo of a ufo (electromagnetic interference and such), which culminates in a selfie montage with the alien.  The poster attempts to tie in some of that phone culture, while setting an adventure/comedy tone.

Encounter_Poster.jpg

• Like 2

everfresh    174

i like the lighting and mood of that poster a lot, very well done. however, i think the title should either be at the top or at least leave more room to the bottom, seems a bit squeezed in there.  the title is an important part of a movie poster, so you might wanna give it some more room to breathe. also the finger poses could use some more love, and i'm a bit confused by the reflections/glow of the fingers on the back of the phone. 

• Like 1

DeCarlo    31
  • Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, everfresh said:

i like the lighting and mood of that poster a lot, very well done. however, i think the title should either be at the top or at least leave more room to the bottom, seems a bit squeezed in there.  the title is an important part of a movie poster, so you might wanna give it some more room to breathe. also the finger poses could use some more love, and i'm a bit confused by the reflections/glow of the fingers on the back of the phone. 

You know, I have been wondering why the hand was reflecting so brightly. The moment you mentioned it, it occurred to me that my backlights on the character don't include the phone.  Easy fix!  

I hear you.  This was my first project rigging/weighting/animating a character, and it has been a huge learning experience for me. Rigging and weighting are difficult to learn, and impossible to understand until you really put your model into action. I would love to go back and clean things up, but I made the decision to press on and finally get a film in the can.  I'll definitely clean up the poster a bit since it'll suffer a lot closer criticism. :)

everfresh    174

if you're doing a short completely on your own, perfection tends to kill productivity, so one needs to make compromises here and there, perfectly understandable... been there a couple of times ;)  

ninjad    9

I agree with putting the title at the top of the poster, it gets kind of busy with the credits at the bottom.

I would also light his face a little brighter to make it more even with the hand. It doesn't have to be physically accurate and his face is important so should grab your attention more. Right now it's like his hand is the main focus and his face is a background element.

Also a rim light on the top of his head to outline it from the background, though if you move the text it might be a different situation.

Good luck with it!