Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Rendercore Lab

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

Sign in to follow this  
rezmajom

Hair density on Sphere w/ Proximal

rezmajom    1

Hi forum,

Looking for a solution for distanced-based hair density/length control, would really appreciate any pointers or alternative approaches.

- I'm building an earth-like planet (SubD > Sphere > Displacement);

- Terrain is colored with Proximal gradient from center point (control null for ref), closest points are brown for soil, mid are green for foliage, furthest are white for snow.

Now I am trying to  grow vegetation in the mid region, cleanest solution seems to be hair, but none of my approaches worked for mapping the region I want it on.

What I have tried so far:

- Used the same proximal from the terrain colors to drive hair length/density, does not produce functional results (could be a scale issue but it would seem logical that the scale is preserved from the terrain colors in this context too)

- Tried a spherical gradient to map out distance in space, didn't get the result I was looking for.

I don't want to manually paint guides, looking for a procedural solution cos it is doing my head in when I am 110% sure it's doable.

I'm attaching the scene file, I deleted the hair and the ref geo for size reduction, but basically I would just make the SubD editable and use that geo for hair ref.

Thank you in advance for any info on the subject!

rezmajom

EDIT: in the hair material included there is a shader map in the Length slot, ideally that would be the surface area I'd want to grow the hair.

planet_015.c4d

Edited by rezmajom
extra info

westbam    35

I am totally no hair expert, but I saw some dude (can't give credit, I don't speak Polish) placing the proximal shader in the Length of the hair material. So you basically only have hair with any length on the places the proximal say it can grow. I tried in your file, no success, I tried in a new file, moderate success. 

Tweaking values in proximity shader is super hard, don't be afraid to go over 100%.

Why you use that Null for the Proximal and not the actual sphere?

ProxiHair.thumb.jpg.96e9cefebcfe0388354bd0a54e9c1261.jpg

rezmajom    1

Thanks for looking into it, I saw the tutorial but I couldn't get it to work and I gave up. I ended up baking the proximal shader for now, filtered it in photoshop and used the bitmap for length control. Haven't given up on the procedural solution yet...

Btw I used a null in case I'd want to play with the offset to have more snow/flatland in some areas.

• Like 1