Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Cinema 4D Plugins

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

kikic

Help with importing tree models

kikic    0

Hello,

I'm having some trouble understanding how to import tree models and apply the textures. I am specifically trying to learn how to do forest scenes. I only have c4d and can't get some of the plug-ins like forester at this point. I found a couple of free trees.  the files of these models usually come with a .c4d file and also a lot of tif files (others come with jpeg) When i try to import, i go to  file->merge objects. The tree will come up with no textures and there will be some empty materials that will automatically open. I'm having trouble understanding how to apply all of the materials. there seem to be a ton of textures some in black and white, some color etc. I am also  having trouble finding tutorials/articles on how to do this. I am uploading an example of what happens when i merge the file. and a couple examples of the textures and all the textures that are included with this particular model to give you an idea of what im talking about. When i open the .c4d file on its own, every texture seems to be applied already. Can anyone help explain what to do, advice for forest scenes,or if you know of a good tutorial on this particular topic to refer to me to. I really appreciate it. thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 3.41.18 PM.png

ABMotion    21

Unfortunately, free models can have that issue, particularly if the are not specifically C4D files, and it depends on the quality of the work the person who created the model/s.

Having said that, you can sometimes get lucky and use the following techniques to relink textures:

If that doesn't work though, you need to manually do the work of finding what textures go where. There is no "standard" way of naming textures, so as you can see in your screenshot, it can be a very manual process.

Here is a quick list of some names/variables that may be used and where they go, but there are no rules unfortunately:

Diffusion:  diffuse, albedo
Reflectance (Specular): specular, spec, s
AO: ambient occlusion, ao, occlusion, lightmap, diffuseintensity
Normal: normal, nrm, normalmap
Bump Map: bump, bumpmap, heightmap
Luminance: emission, emit, emissive
Alpha: transparency, transparent, opacity, mask

• Like 1

kikic    0

thanks for the tutorial and info!! I actually just  found another question in this forum that was similar. I got some of the textures applied under edit.project info.textures tab, and entered the tif files manually. i am now trying to figure the best way to do forests in the box, with no plugins... if anyone has ideas! thanks again

ABMotion    21

Here is a tutorial for using Hair to generate trees:

You may also want to learn about Instances as an alternative for creating a number of items without slowing down your viewport as much as possible:

Finally, if you don't want to spend money on plugins, and you're not too fussed about the type of trees, you could also try the free Laubwerk Plants Kit http://www.laubwerk.com/store/plants-kit-freebie/ for creating a scene with trees.

• Like 1

kikic    0

Thanks so much for these tutorials. I will definitely watch them :)