Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dapa

Equirectangular video from outside

• Topic Author
  • Hey, I have kind of a tricky task to tackle. For a project we're gonna get one of these spherical led screens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBbm2udgK8
    We would like to create a digital 3d globe which gets mapped onto this globe, consisting of several elements like the map itself, but also particles and rings etc, which are offseted from the base globe. So I would like to set this up as an actual 3D globe in cinema 4d however in the end we need to provide an equirectangular video. So how would you best render this out to get all sides of the globe into this video? Currently the only way I can think of is to put another sphere around the globe with 100 percent reflectance and than bake the texture. Is there maybe a smarter way to do this, especially one that would utilize the picture viewer renderer since I am a little bit afraid of rendering out a long sequence of an animation via baking. I am currently on R18 and I know know that R19 has the spherical camera included. However this one only renders out from the center of the view, right? or can you scale this camera up and render basically inwards like in the approach mentioned above? Thanks in advance!

Cineversity has a plugin toolbox called CT-Toolbox.  From this plugin, you can download a plugin called CV-VR cam.  This will allow you to render an equirectangular image/image sequence.  This is lightyears better than baking a texture because it will utilize all cores of your machine, and also opens up the ability to render across a network.  This results in the same thing as the spherical camera in R19.

No, you won't be able to "scale up" the camera.  I have not attempted what you're describing yet, but giving it some thought, try thinking about it backwards.  You want a globe projected onto the pufferfish sphere, and you're looking at it from the outside.  360 animations are basically animations projected on the inside of a sphere that you can look around within.  What if you could get "outside" of that sphere?  You'd see the image, but backwards.  So to get the globe to project onto the pufferfish, you'd want to map an image of the world onto a sphere, then invert it's X coordinates (Y should be the same).  When the image is projected onto the pufferfish, viewed from outside, the world should be correct.

Getting the particles to render should be a matter of creating the effect just on the inside of the sphere w the inverted map of the world.  Once projected, this should appear to be on the surface of the globe.  I am not sure how to get the offset effect, however, of the particles/globe.

All of this is based on some critical thinking about the method, and using my experience creating 360 animations.  Hope it gives you a starting point.

Eric

• Topic Author
  • Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have access to download the vrcam (I am not a cineversity member yet). I was also thinking, of the reversed engineering approach you where describing but I don't know if that would give me too much headaches, especially since I maybe really couldn't see whats happening inside the sphere exactly, haha. But I had a look at the videos and I was wondering if I can maybe build something like this myself but with 6 cameras around a cube with a spherical projection of the map, the cameras facing inwards, creating basically a cube map, which I could convert to an equirectangular image later on in fusion or ae (in this case I could maybe eben work on a sphere and just for final rendering referencing the cube instead). i am not 100 percent sure, whether this will look as intended but a quick test with just a part of the map worked just fine. is it possible to render all 6 cameras at the same time in c4d and have them stitched together like in the case of the cineversity vrcam? i mean the workaround would be to just setup layers for the different cams, render them separately and arrange and stitch them together in fusion as well but maybe there's a more convenient way?

See this article http://www.story2pixel.com/page-vr/ down towards the bottom of the page under the heading VR Camera for Cinema 4D.

It has a YouTube tutorial and a free Cinema 4D setup file for creating a mono Spherical VR camera in Cinema 4D so that you can render out a equirectangular video.

Good luck with your project.

If you've paid for MAXON's MSA, you have a free membership to Cineversity.  Just email MAXON and ask for your coupon code.  Otherwise, without some coding, you won't be able to render 6 cameras at one time.  

If this is for a paying job, and you don't have the MSA/free Cinversity membership, I would think this might be worth the expense of a Cineversity membership.  Or justification for upgrading to R19.  Work smarter not harder!