TheOtherOne

HIGH SIERRA upgrade and Cinema 4D R19

Hello

I'm mac user and I upgraded to the High Sierra recently. Because I was curious of how High Sierra gonna impact on the render time I set the simple scene with GI+ Secondary Method: Ir. Cache , Motion Blur, Focus and Medium Sampling Quality.

Now. Before the upgrade rendering took 29 minutes, after 38 minutes.

My question is. Does anybody have similar experience with High Sierra as well as previous Mac OSs ? What would you guys do? To be honest I'm considering downgrading.

Thanks in advance

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Topic Author
  • *Quick Update*

It may be caused by Cuda. I just found out that there are no drivers for it on High Sierra.
    But there is a way to step the problem around described here:
    https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-drivers-for-macos-sierra-10-12-1-367-15-10-15.205568/page-2#post-1357600

I upgraded my old Mac Pro, a 2009 (4.1).  I wanted to install a Nvidia 1080ti so I upgraded the firmware to make it a 2010 (5.1) and I was able to install High Sierra.  Next I found the drivers for the board as well as CUDA on Nvidia's website.  All installed, and I'm rendering on it right now with R19.  Runs circles around my new 2013 Mac Pro.  No issues.  Which Mac are you running?  Most do not have Nvidia which means you are using OpenCL.

Mark

12 hours ago, lopakam said:

I upgraded my old Mac Pro, a 2009 (4.1).  I wanted to install a Nvidia 1080ti so I upgraded the firmware to make it a 2010 (5.1) and I was able to install High Sierra.  Next I found the drivers for the board as well as CUDA on Nvidia's website.  All installed, and I'm rendering on it right now with R19.  Runs circles around my new 2013 Mac Pro.  No issues.  Which Mac are you running?  Most do not have Nvidia which means you are using OpenCL.

Mark

Thanks for sharing, you give me much hope Mark! I've been considering a PC build for C4D and Octane since Apple has been using AMD gpu's recently, but I'm very reluctant. I'm going to look into a refurb '09 / '10 Pro, and see if that will suit my needs. – Cheers!

3 hours ago, carlodiego said:

Thanks for sharing, you give me much hope Mark! I've been considering a PC build for C4D and Octane since Apple has been using AMD gpu's recently, but I'm very reluctant. I'm going to look into a refurb '09 / '10 Pro, and see if that will suit my needs. – Cheers!

I would go with a 2010, if the price is close to the 2009.  Two reasons for this:  The 2010 does not require a hack to upgrade the firmware (not hard but I have no idea if this may cause me any unforeseen issues) and secondly it will be easier to upgrade the processor.  The 2009 uses a different shaped processor that is hard to come by.  This will not stop me from trying.  I already purchased a pair of 3.46 6-cores on eBay to attempt to upgrade my 2,26 8-core to a 3.46 12-core.  Its possible with some washers, I think!

If this works, my 2009 will take the place of my main computer, replacing my 2013.

Mark

• Topic Author
  • On 10/21/2017 at 4:30 AM, lopakam said:

Mark

Thanks for the response!
     I got Late 2012 iMac with 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB ( so shouldn't be any problems there)

There was a small update though.
    Recently I updated CUDA drivers and after that, the scene I mentioned previously took 24 minutes to render( 5 minutes less comparing to the same rendering before upgrading to the High Sierra and 14 minutes less comparing it to the after upgrade)

But there are still some differences between Cuda and the OS- I'm still getting this window which says the update of CUDA is required while there are no newer drivers available :) I've attached the screenshot.
     So I think it's a matter of time.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 13.40.51.png

Looks like you have the latest CUDA drivers, this is my screenshot...

59ecb19172b93_ScreenShot2017-10-22at9_54_31AM.thumb.png.8e2cef0370b1c06b37cda68e6601ef53.png

But I noticed that I have a newer GPU driver.  However, I think you should be OK.

Good Luck!

Mark

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 15 minutes ago, lopakam said:

Looks like you have the latest CUDA drivers, this is my screenshot...

59ecb19172b93_ScreenShot2017-10-22at9_54_31AM.thumb.png.8e2cef0370b1c06b37cda68e6601ef53.png

But I noticed that I have a newer GPU driver.  However, I think you should be OK.

Good Luck!

Mark

Thanks, m8
     You too!

I'm encountering a horrible bug, since I updated my mac to High Sierra a couple days ago. I didn't really wanted to update, but in order to use some newer software it was necessary. I have a MacBook Pro from early 2013, model identifier MacBookPro10,1 and I'm running C4D R17.

Anyway, each time I click the "v" key to call up the contextual menu and switch to a different document, something very strange happens and the C4D interface seems to "insist" on staying on top for several seconds even if I switch applications, sorry for the bizarre explanation, I just have no idea how to describe it better.

Please take a look at the attached screenshots, you will notice that despite being on Chrome, the contextual menus from C4D continue to appear on top, badly disrupting the workflow. I have also distorted some objects by inadvertently clicking on them while trying to work on another app. It's like the cursor is stuck on C4D and will react to it regardless of which application is on the front.

Anyone else experiencing this? High Sierra straight up sucks.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 7.43.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 7.43.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 7.43.02 PM.png

• Topic Author
  • That must be annoying. But mine works fine- maybe it's R17's thing?
     Don't want to give obvious advice but maybe reinstalling of the C4D would help? If not I would contact MAXON support.

• Topic Author
  • Hello

It's me again. I've updated the OSX yesterday to OS Mojave and I putted to the test the same file as always( the same just like at the beginning of this thread). And it took only 17:29 mins. 

Anyone having any thoughts on the Mojave OS so far?

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.55.51 PM.png

Your tests are very interesting how the OS changes CPU render speed. Didn't expect it to change at all. Maybe I should do some test renders to compare High Sierra and Mojave.

I have Mojave on a 2013 Mac Pro, and I'm finding the interface laggy compared to High Sierra. Like moving around the viewport, there is a small lag which is annoying.

Also dark mode doesn't work in open / save windows so kind of feels half done to me. So yeah not really into Mojave and now wishing I hadn't formatted and clean installed it onto my Mac.