Sign in to follow this  
Guest JKhali

Cinema 4D Rigging & Character Tutorials?

Guest JKhali

Good day everyone!

My name's Justin. I'm a AB-Animation student all the way down east in the Philippines.

I recently purchased/learned and also had a seminar all about Cinema 4D (our teacher was Mr. Lars Scholten) and I plan on using it to complete my thesis.

My thesis is a 3D animated movie short.

I was wondering if anyone here knew where I could find tutorials and even paid classes where I can learn more about the program? It's actually really hard to find tutorials about character animation and environmental design. Yet, you can do it pretty well in C4D.

Any help from any good Samaritan would be most appreciated!

Cheers everyone!

Hello and welcome to the cafe...

There are lot of character animation tutorials, both free and paid, and a good few environment design ones as well if you know where to look.

Generally there is always a free option available on youtube or vimeo somewhere but you have to watch a lot of individual disparate tutorials to gain a decent overview. But the free video channels are very helpful when you need to know about something specific, so then it's just about choosing the right search terms...

But if you want step-by-step, thorough / comprehensive courses, then the paid options are probably the way to go.

You should know that in order to work with character animation you also need to be competent at modelling, UVing, texturing, lighting, and animation first, so perhaps watch some of the more comprehensive beginner series' to give you a program overview before you pay for more advanced stuff. Greyscale Gorilla have a good few of those.

After that, first up has to be MAXON USA's Cineversity, where you will have free premium membership if you bought the MSA with your version of the software, but can pay for it separately if you didn't. 

Then, Pluralsight have several CA and environment tutorials, as do cmivfx

Hopefully that's enough to go on for now...

CBR

Just to add to @Cerbera suggestions, I can specifically point you towards Bret Bays as a tutor for Character Rigging. He has tutorials on Cineversity (some require paid membership) (https://www.cineversity.com/learn/character_rigging) and his own Vimeo channel - free (https://vimeo.com/user7783224).

I can highly recommend the following talks from Siggraph 2015 called Creating a Character Rigging Pipeline in Cinema 4D and Weighting Workflows for Cinema 4D Character Animation - free to watch (https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/character_rigging_techniques_siggraph_2015_rewind/)

Good luck with your journey of learning.

Thought I'd add another suggestion as well. If you are getting into Character Animation, a great book to purchase is called The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams. It is nothing to do with Cinema 4D but is a great book on the fundamentals of animating characters properly.

x2 on Richard Williams' book.  What that doesn't teach about animation ain't worth knowing!  

I stumbled across this channel on Youtube the other day which might be useful to you.  Whilst it's not C4D there's some nice simple explanation of animation principles in there - and most, if not all, of the information can be translated into C4D:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4oFFjKQKHj_fCOkBLH61w

Good luck!