Sign in to follow this  
BIgor

Music Box Help Please... :D

Here's how I did the collision XPresso. Hope you can understand my Manchester accent

• Topic Author
  • 17 minutes ago, jed said:

Here's how I did the collision XPresso. Hope you can understand my Manchester accent

WOW!! Dude this is EPIC!!! :D THX a lot for the effort I will be able to use this knowledge :D Your Manchester accent is not a problem at all, the Xpresso is the problem for me, I can see that it is very powerful but I understand ZERO of it :D Anyway this will be very good for my project :D Now all I need to figure out is how to make the Cylinder rotate at the speed I need it at with the Xpresso you made. The way I have this imagined is like this: I have a video of the song that I want the music box to play and it has a MIDI track on the video. Now the song is 5813 frames long, I want to make the Cylinder make a 360 degrees rotation in that many frames and in the video every frame a note is heard I will make a Striker on the Cylinder at that exact frame. The way I have this imagined this should work... I hope you understand What I am saying. 

That song sounds a bit long - 3 minutes for one rotation. Would you be able to fit all the notes in ? Sounds a bit ambitious to me, but to rotate the cylinder 360 degree in 5813F just keyframe start and end, and make it linear in the timeline. If you prefer XPresso, something like this - I converted 360 to radians for the math.

I made this scene a while ago - it's a tune played on tubular bells in C4D. Might amuse you.

deg2rad.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 25 minutes ago, jed said:

That song sounds a bit long - 3 minutes for one rotation. Would you be able to fit all the notes in ? Sounds a bit ambitious to me, but to rotate the cylinder 360 degree in 5813F just keyframe start and end, and make it linear in the timeline. If you prefer XPresso, something like this - I converted 360 to radians for the math.

I made this scene a while ago - it's a tune played on tubular bells in C4D. Might amuse you.

deg2rad.jpg

Well I probably will make the song last for only a minute or so. Now If you have the time please watch this second explanation video I have made where I show the problem I am having now, I think that after this I will be able to complete this animation.... :D 

It's not a good idea to drive one object (bend) from multiple XPresso tags. I suggest using a Boole OR -

if collision A or collision B or collision C etc > trigger the note.

3strikes.c4d

BTW I looked up music boxes on YouTube and they seem to run for 20-30 secs.

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, jed said:

It's not a good idea to drive one object (bend) from multiple XPresso tags. I suggest using a Boole OR -

if collision A or collision B or collision C etc > trigger the note.

3strikes.c4d

BTW I looked up music boxes on YouTube and they seem to run for 20-30 secs.

COOL!!! Ok THX a lot, this looks very promising and a lot less hassle then what I had originally planed to to :P Yes I will make the animation a lot shorter :D So happy that this actually might happen the way I have imagined it, currently working on the model that is gonna be inside of the music box, don't wanna give to much away, will post it when it is all done, hopefully I will not hit any more problems... :D THX a lot again :D 

You're welcome.

• Topic Author
  • On 10/23/2017 at 10:17 PM, jed said:

You're welcome.

So this is working perfectly, I can hardly wait to complete this project of mine, THX again a lot for the help!!! :D Here is a short test video. Now I need to figure out how to make the audio sound like that of a music box instead of a piano, but I might even leave it sounding like a piano because I like it... :P

I was wondering how you trigger your sounds ?

I used to use Nitro4d's SoundFX, but that seemed to stop working at R18 (R17 is OK). Recently I've been experimenting with the sound node (not effector) switched on with a monoflop using dynamic collision. The monoflop has to have a duration to match the sound length, and I use a memory node to sync things. Then I play the animation in cinema and record the sound on Audacity in real time using my soundcard's 'what you hear'. If the length of sound clip is 'out' a bit, you can timestretch in After Effects.

I sometimes use Cubase to make note wavs, or I record notes with Audacity from a free virtual piano from Chordpulse. There's other sounds in the menu - 013 Marimba is a bit like a music box.

Here's a conveyor belt with a trigger monoflop beep. Needs digital upright font, but default is OK -

beeper.zip

Edited by jed
    added file

• Topic Author
  • On 10/28/2017 at 4:51 PM, jed said:

I was wondering how you trigger your sounds ?

I used to use Nitro4d's SoundFX, but that seemed to stop working at R18 (R17 is OK). Recently I've been experimenting with the sound node (not effector) switched on with a monoflop using dynamic collision. The monoflop has to have a duration to match the sound length, and I use a memory node to sync things. Then I play the animation in cinema and record the sound on Audacity in real time using my soundcard's 'what you hear'. If the length of sound clip is 'out' a bit, you can timestretch in After Effects.

I sometimes use Cubase to make note wavs, or I record notes with Audacity from a free virtual piano from Chordpulse. There's other sounds in the menu - 013 Marimba is a bit like a music box.

Here's a conveyor belt with a trigger monoflop beep. Needs digital upright font, but default is OK -

beeper.zip

This looks very cool but way to complicated for me :P I went a much more simple way, I have the Piano song in mp4 from youtube, and I loaded it in Adobe Premiere, there I set the timeline to show FPS instead of seconds. Now this was just a test, I chose 300 frames from the song, in C4D the rotation of the Cylinder is 360 degrees in 300 frames. In Pr I watch at which frame the note is sounding of and I take 8 frames away from that because that is how much it takes for the Striker to release the Note. At this frame I set a Striker, After that render out a PNG of the animation and just load it in Pr, works great... :P 

To get stuff in sync, you can also add sound in the timeline -

sound.thumb.jpg.c9dec7d199c3944266534c2401dbba48.jpg

To add to @jed suggestion of adding Sound to the Timeline is that you can also add Markers in Timeline>Edit>Marker>Create Marker At Current Frame.

To create markers on the fly you can create a shortcut key for the "create marker" command, press play, make the timeline active and press the shortcut key.