ingvarai

Time travel back to 2000

ingvarai    8

I stumbled across a PC Plus Magazine Cover DVD, in my attic, and found a version of C4D CE6. Included were some C4D project files, which mostly loaded fine in my R19. The files are form 2000, the DVD from 2003. I had no idea that Cinema 4D could do these things 17 years ago. It is obvious that I have made a few shortcuts, jumping over some basic knowledge, when purchasing R13 in 2012 and then diving right into advanced features.  I learnt a few things, inspecting these old files! I learnt so much, it is kinda embarrassing.

-Ingvar

c4d-from-2000_2.jpg

c4d-from-2000_1.jpg

3DKiwi    381

Probably the same magazine that I had that got me into C4D. Think I may still have it somewhere. I've also got C4D version 5 kicking around somewhere as well.

hvanderwegen    47

Still have the last issue of Commodore User magazine which sported the last C4D release for the Amiga on its cover disks.  October 1998 - exactly 19 years ago.

That's how I got into Cinema4d. Well, to be honest I had a cracked version long before that - I was young and naive (weren't we all). :wackywink:

http://amr.abime.net/issue_668_contents

12 hours ago, ingvarai said:

I stumbled across a PC Plus Magazine Cover DVD, in my attic, and found a version of C4D CE6. Included were some C4D project files, which mostly loaded fine in my R19. The files are form 2000, the DVD from 2003. I had no idea that Cinema 4D could do these things 17 years ago. It is obvious that I have made a few shortcuts, jumping over some basic knowledge, when purchasing R13 in 2012 and then diving right into advanced features.  I learnt a few things, inspecting these old files! I learnt so much, it is kinda embarrassing.

-Ingvar

Very likely it's the same cloth solver from back then that's in R19 now! Progress!

I was clearing out the loft and I found my old Amiga Lightwave 3.5" floppy disks from 1994, that brought back some memories. I was a junior scientist back then who was paid a pittance and it took me several months to save up to buy Lightwave. Oh, the joys of waiting for 24 hours to render something that would render in better than realtime today.

The only cracked software I ever used was Imagine 3D, I quickly caught the 3D bug watching Tobias Richter's space battle animations on demo-scene disks then Babylon 5 came a long and when I had a job I saved like crazy to buy Lightwave. I thought I hit the big time when Lightwave arrived as I now could use the same software as Foundation Imaging, wow!

I stayed with Lightwave until they ruined it and got on the C4D train at R11 and I've now jumped on the HoudiniFX train.

What do the next 20 years have in store?

ingvarai    8
  • Topic Author
  • I would probably have been a C4D user already then. hadn't it been for the introduction price. Yes, very low, but not free. Daz3D Carrara, OTOH, came free on the cover DVD a little later, so I used Carrara until 2012, when I hit the limitations wall , and coughed up the money for the full C4D R13 Studio.

I was, am and will probably always be a multimedia hobbyist, using C4D for non-profit projects. I make a living, programming.

But pity that MAXON had no free C4D back then, might have saved me all the time using Carrara (which I paid for when upgrades to the free version came along).

Nevertheless, at least MAXON had a cross-grade offer in 2012, which was the kick in the butt I needed to go for it.

-Ingvar

3D-Pangel    246

Interesting.  I see a few references to people using cracked software. Personally, I stay away from that as I have a ton of respect for the people who sweat brain cells making this stuff work and therefore feel they should be compensated (of course, I am always looking for great deals....sorry, you offer me 40% to 60% discounts, and I am yours!)

One interesting story back in the early 2000's.  I just subscribed to Computer Arts and Computer Graphics World and started to download some demo's that were in that magazine in my search to find something better than trueSpace (which really shouldn't have been that hard).   So my email was now out there as someone interested in getting animation software.

Well, I get this email from some group in China offering to sell me pretty much cracked versions of every DCC piece of software out there at the time.  So I forwarded that email to every DCC publisher on their list advising them of what was going on.  

I only heard back from one company...and it was Lightwave.  They were so grateful for me looking out for them that they sent me a free T-shirt!  It wasn't quite the deal I was looking for, but I appreciated the offer.

Dave

P.S.  I did ultimately purchase Lightwave but it was when they were bundling it with Vue Infinite. So as I just purchased C4D, I sold the LW license and in essence got Vue Infinite for free!!!  See...always looking for deals.

• Like 1

hvanderwegen    47
    1 hour ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Interesting.  I see a few references to people using cracked software. Personally, I stay away from that as I have a ton of respect for the people who sweat brain cells making this stuff work and therefore feel they should be compensated (of course, I am always looking for great deals....sorry, you offer me 40% to 60% discounts, and I am yours!)

In the old Amiga times (and earlier) as a teen when the web did not exist, my friends and myself did not have easy access to legal software - neither financially, nor from a geographical point of view :-). Local stores hardly stocked any software, purely because it wasn't that mainstream yet.

I recall the local demo and swapping scene (I was member of a demo/hacker group myself :-P )

The demo (or COPY) parties were a sight (and smell) to behold.

Hundreds of zit-faced teen boys all carrying their own Amiga and hardware, setting up in a large hall for the day, and everyone showing off their art, programming/demos, and of course swapping software. There'd be the odd girl hanging around amidst the swaths of boys - obviously attracting a lot of attention. The police never cared. It would be impossible today.

And then at the end of the day at home examining the 'loot'.

But those were good times. Very different today, though. I count myself lucky that I grew up in that first generation of home computer users. Last week a 20 year old guy I talked with about the C64 asked me about "something called floppies" and "cassettes". He'd never heard of those. I mentioned how a single C64 game would take 4-5 minutes to load up. He just looked bewildered and confused, and couldn't imagine how that worked. I must be getting old :lol:

In my twenties I stopped using hacked software. I recall working on my first real client project with my last pirated version of Macromedia software, and afterwards purchasing a legal version. That actually felt really good. With the internet granting access to inexpensive software, I did not feel the need to use pirated software anymore. Once or twice I did use pirated software, but only if I was interested in evaluating software that had no trial available.

Nowadays the situation is very, very different: in my mind there's just no real reason to use pirated software anymore. The quality of open source software is impressive. Generally software prices have gone down quite a bit (well, excepting Cinema4d ;-P ). Games can be acquired for next to nothing through various legal channels (HumbleBundle, free-to-play, etc.).

And yet, some things never change: I notice on various forums that young teens still use pirated (often older) versions of commercial software, although it would cost them perhaps $10 a month or less/free to use alternatives. Flash comes to mind, for example. You'd be amazed how many young ones still install Flash 8 up to CS3/4 and create their animations with those older version (Newgrounds comes to mind).

It's sort-of strange, because in my teen years accessibility to good software was limited - while now that is no longer the case. Inexpensive and free/open source alternatives abound, and yet... And yet? Odd. Then again, the human brain only finishes maturing around our 26 years of age. I blame ignorance and naiveté. They're kids. I was the same. You don't know what you don't know.

ingvarai    8
  • Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Probably the same magazine that I had that got me into C4D. Think I may still have it somewhere. I've also got C4D version 5 kicking around somewhere as well.

I saved the DVDs, the magazines I threw, too many of them, I regret now. Unbelievable, I had a pile that went twice from the floor to the ceiling. Accumulated from 1994 to 2005. I started with computers as a grown up man, with no Internet the first 3 years. So I was an avid magazine reader, couldn't wait for the next cover CD. This was all about programming, I first started with multimedia in 2008.

-Ingvar

bobc4d    121

I still have my copy of R9 on 5 or 6 CD's, core and all the modules (remember those?) which I got when I took an online C4D class.