Guest TeamZissou

Advice on business card texture

Looking great!

7 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

Is there a way to dial up that specular highlight on the outer edges without effecting the entire surface? Or is this only achieved by carefully placed lights?

Specular highlights on the edges would be best done with lighting, generally called "rim" lighting. As long as your material can catch highlights, the light will do the rest for you. Put the lights off to the sides of the card and angled down towards (or up towards) the edges and you should see them.

A fake method if that doesn't work (but it should) would be to make a selection of the polys on the sides and add a slightly different material only to the sides that has more reflection in it.

7 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

I've just noticed a slight issue with the noise pattern on those edges too, at first I thought it might be my model but perhaps it is due to the projection or tiling method?

It's hard to be specific here without seeing your file, but generally, try going to the Attributes Manager for the material and changing Projection to Cubic and ticking Seamless. If that still doesn't give the result you want, try changing the Projection to UVW and keep Seamless ticked and then go into Texture Mode and Enable Axis so that you can rotate the texture so that the seam you see is on the bottom of the card where it won't be seen as easily.

If that fails then you need to do a proper UV Map. Come back and ask if you need any further help with UV Maps, but there are may tutorials online for that.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the prompt response @ABMotion

I did actually have it set to Cubic and Seamless was checked. I tried switching to UVW and rotating the texture as you suggested but that resulted in this:

SS1.jpg

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Ah, I think I may have figured the cause of it. The noise has 'Space' set to 'UV (2D)'

Switching this to 'Object' seems to have rectified the issue. Will this conflict with the projection in the texture tag? I'm not really sure how they interact.

It's hard to be definite without your file, but you can try scaling the texture so it is effectively cubed and rotate it. You can do this using the Length U or V (I can't tell from your screenshots which is necessary as I don't know what orientation your model is, but experiment) or use the Texture Mode and Enable Axis and scale to resolve that issue.

How did you do the texture in the end? Is it an image? As I said in my previous post, you may need to do a proper UV Map and/or edit the texture itself so that it is seamless.

9 minutes ago, TeamZissou said:

Ah, I think I may have figured the cause of it. The noise has 'Space' set to 'UV (2D)'

Switching this to 'Object' seems to have rectified the issue. Will this conflict with the projection in the texture tag? I'm not really sure how they interact.

I'm sorry I missed your next post as I was typing. 

Now that I know you've used Noise and you've resolved the issue, keep your projection type as it is. With all these problems, if it looks right and works, then use that :)

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • I think @deck might be onto something here.

I just made a texture in PS using the colour halftone effect and dropped replaced the noise in my color channel with this. See what you think:

Unfortunate side effect is the now visible aliasing issues, but maybe these will be improved when I bump the render settings.

HT.jpg

Absolutely. It depends how photo realistic you want to go. That suggestion is one way and the half tone print image I posted for you a while back would be even more realistic as it's not perfect. It depends on how far you want to go with the realism. Using Photoshop to generate the half tone pattern is probably a good balance.

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Yeah that stock image would certainly add to the realism, I might swap out to that at a later stage.

I'm back at this edge issue now unfortunately. I have it set to Cubic and Seamless but no matter which way I rotate the texture I seem to have this break on the outer edge in the same place each time.

01.jpg

I'm finding it hard to keep up with what you're doing :)

If you're now using a texture as opposed to Noise and having a seam issue, you need to make the image you're using tileable. See this tutorial for a method:

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • Ah great, thank you!

Just out of curiosity, if I want to scale the texture I have made, for example reduce the size of the halftone, is it acceptable to simply scale it in Cinema or would it be better practice to make a higher resolution texture in PS, effectively having more pattern in the texture and thus smaller dots when applied in Cinema? Hopefully that makes sense.. 

Guest TeamZissou
  • Topic Author
  • It's getting there.. dropped it into my scene.

Looks like the AA issues are no longer visible 

A1.jpg

If you make the pattern seamless as per my previous post, then it will be absolutely fine to scale it down in Cinema 4D. It is really only when you scale up that you may need to work on the texture outside of Cinema 4D to get the resolution required to make it look good.