Sign in to follow this  
kbar

Lets make a movie using C4D: Indie4D

Would everyone at the Cafe be interested in collaborating to create a movie using primarily just C4D?

To start with I have created a website called http://www.indie4d.com to explain the idea.

I would like to have a nice showcase for what C4D can do, similar to how the Blender crowd have created their tech demo movies.

For myself, I would like to create the website that helps everyone collaborate and streamline the process for creating a film. It would allow people to connect, upload ideas for scripts, models, sound, character design etc...  create lists of tasks and jobs for all the shot breakdowns, let people put their names to a job, basically keep track of everything including all the assets used for the creation of the movie. I also have a plugin that will allow everyone involved to be connected directly in C4D (like Skype), allowing you to directly communicate as well as drag and drop anything in c4d to your fellow movie maker friend (images, models, presets, stamps, objects from the OM...). This would also be hooked into the website to allow everyone to download content from the website directly into their scenes (model, textures, full scenes, music, light setups, layouts, presets etc...)

If people would be interested in this idea then just let me know and I can start building the full website.

This may work in well with the new Filmmakers club. Were everyone can discuss techniques about how to make films, and apply those skills to an actual film in the process.

Sounds good to me, and I'm up for making some models in between other projects...

CBR

That is a good idea but it’s also very complicated to manage. I saw similar ideas born and die after awhile because people can’t commit to the tasks they applied for, either for professional reasons, no money involved or simple loss of interest, etc...

I’m not saying that it isn’t possible and do hope that, if enough people get interested, this gets through but I just wanted to let you know that similar projects went down the drain.

One tool that I use with some studios overseas that I collaborate with, is Trello. This is very good for everyone involved to get access to everything and keep track of what’s going on in one place. Personally having Trello and a team created in Slack, would be more than enough for this to work in terms of management! The website could be used just to post information about the project to the outside world, like WIP and previous projects, etc..., assuming that this will work.

For now, you can count me in but I need to be honest: there will be times that due to my professional overload my participation will have to pause. I also need to identify with the project. This is paramount to everyone involved in order to keep the motivation. 

This is awesome this would be something i'd like to join even tho i don't think there's space for a noob like me lol, however great project i hope everything goes well for your project keep it up bro 

I have made a few short stories in the past. And have shelved a few as well, due to the time it took for a single person to do everything. Others have already said the main thing, so I won't repeat. But, yes, interested to join if the subject has  me motivated.

Nice idea in theory but like pbarrelas pointed out will be difficult to manage and would need a decent art director with a strong vision to define the style and direction early on and keep everyone moving in the same direction.

This is easier said than done though I can potentially see people dropping out due to other commitments like work or personal life leaving others to pick up where they left off and so on. 

Not to discourage anyone wanting to take part in such a project but just a little heads up that most community projects like this have gone down the toilet with may be the exception of Big Buck Bunny.

I'd definitely be interested in chipping in some time/ models etc...

So you have firm idea of the story?

Cheers,

Nick

I'd definitely add my name to the 'totally in - depending on circumstances'.

I think it's a cool idea, and if I get any bonus time on top of work and kids, I'd be up for chucking a few hours in if I can be useful. Big couple of 'if's mind you... ;)

I get the impression you haven't got anything concrete yet, and that you're trying to create the story together as well - is that right? Have you got any idea how best to organise creating, picking and scripting the story as a group? Or have you got something in mind already?

Cheers for the push, good work!

i would also be in, but only if i can identify with the story and aesthetics in some way, and only if there's a talented and experienced director having the final word on everything. having something like votes on important decisions will lead to a nightmare.

i've worked on community projects before and have a rather bad experience, people being too kind to each other and approving low quality work from participants just too keep the "good vibe going". if something is not good, people need to be called on it, regardless if it might hurt their feelings. otherwise the outcome only can be a pile of .

also i would suggest to keep it really short, something around like 3-5 minutes. the shorter it is, the higher the possibility of delivering a top notch piece and being able to finish it.

i could help with character design, modelling, texturing, rigging, animation, lighting, comping and sound design. the time i can dedicate of course depends on my work load and how much i'm into the story and mood of the project.

• Topic Author
  • Really great to see people are interested in the idea.  At the moment there is no story. I am just gauging the interest level here on the cafe to see if people might be interested in such an idea.  This will take a long time, as mentioned on the website it could take a couple of years. During that time I expect people to drop out of the project. In fact I expect people may pop in for a day/week and then leave. That is also fine.

For now there is enough interest that I will go ahead and put together a website to help deal with the project. Since it's the project management and organisation part that I am most interested in creating. A place that allows for indie film makers to connect and collaborate on projects together. Trello will not work for this project since it is going to get very large and complicated, Trello is fine for smaller projects, but I have found for anything bigger it gets very messy.

I will start planning things out and will look to have more information about how this would work next year.

To begin with I will create a place that lets people say who they are, what interests they have in the project (writer, director, editor, 3d modeler, sound designer, look dev, animator etc...), what software they have or know (C4D, Katana, Renderman, Octane, X-Particles). We then need to define a story, design the visual look, break the story down into shots, define sets/props/characters etc... and only then can we start to actually do any work in C4D itself.  

Each scene could potentially use a different renderer, to utilise the existing hardware/software we each have. So teams working on a group of shots for a scene could have their own look. Or we may settle of a standard renderer such as Renderman, since the non-commercial version could be used for this project. I could also ask Pixar for some licences for this project.

We need previz assets and final assets. So even if someone is only learning modelling, we can still use their creations for previz and look-dev, swapping out assets later on for the final high quality versions. So everyone is welcome to contribute. 

I personally am also interested in lookdev and would like to see how many people have, and know how to use, Katana. Particularly with a Renderman pipeline. We could then look at handling a few very large scale scenes. The Foundry may also be able to offer us a couple of licences when we get to the point that we need it.

I can also handle setting up renderfarms on AWS and write custom software, tools, applications and setup a good pipeline.

Thank you to everyone for your interest. More information will come next year. But if people have ideas for scripts then feel free to post here, or start a topic in the new Film Makers Club. 

5 hours ago, kbar said:

Thank you to everyone for your interest. More information will come next year. But if people have ideas for scripts then feel free to post here, or start a topic in the new Film Makers Club. 

@kbar  Could you clarify what you mean by "a showcase for C4D"?  Do you mean a very loose narrative that crams as much cool C4D functionality into a few minutes?  Or is the point to create a really compelling, high-production quality movie, that happens to have been made entirely with C4D?

I would be happy to contribute to story development, but if the real goal is to highlight the fancier functions of C4D, someone would literally have to explain to me what those are before I could attempt to weave it into an interesting story.

It has already been mentioned that over the past years a few attempts have already been taken at getting a similar project started, here at the Cafe.

I personally think it would be best to start with a very short and simple story, in order to test things out, before trying to jump into the deep water from the start. As such, I am more inclined to ditch the idea of this "pilot project" as being a showcase of fancy features and technical prowess.

Doesn't mean we need to keep it at one single movie/short/project. But starting with a simple and small project will let us handle encountered obstacles more easily (in my opinion).

I suggest to have a starter to wet our appetite ... and see which obstacles we encounter, and learn from that for the next one ... and so on.