AniMarcus

Easily accessing mouth poses to keyframe

Hi everyone!

As I also talked about in my last thread, I'm creating this human rig and right now I'm in the process of creating mouth controls. I have a setup where parts of the lips are linked to a pose morph who are linked to a controller. That is going fine. Though I thought that if I want to do some lip syncing, it would be annoying to remake the mouth pose for every frame. Even if I copy and paste the keyframe I would still have to remake the pose in the beginning.

In After Effects, when you want to lip sync a character (at least how I would do it) is using a composition layer with all the different mouths and then apply a time remap to easily call the needed positions.

In the picture I attached I show the way I would like to have the time remapping-like feature. When I click and keyframe one of the buttons, the corresponding pose morph slider goes to 100% and the others fall back to 0%.

I have to use Xpresso for this but have trouble figuring it out (I know only some basics of it).

Could someone help me with this?

Thank you very much!

Marcus Hamelink

Cafe (2).png

you can use a time track to do this. 

In the timeline under special tracks you can apply the time track. Every animated property in the timeline has a spot in it's properties to link it to a custom time track. So I like to create the time track on a null object called "Time" and then drag that time track into the time track slot of each animated track that I want to follow along with it.

this explains it i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6AuonzrDJ4

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • @Alec Hi!

Thanks for your response!

I just don't understand how using a time track can help me with what I'm doing. I'm looking to have it so that in my user data I get to click on one of the options (the A sound for the mouth for example) and then in the pose morph the slider for A goes to 100% and the others go to 0%.

I hope it's clearer now.

Thank you!

Marcus Hamelink

Oh okay. I thought you just wanted to know of a time remap feature.

Not too sure about this one. Your user data button would have to set several values and put down keyframes in a single click in order to be useful. Maybe you could do this with a python script but I don't know enough about that to offer any advice.

• Topic Author
  • @Alec No worries i appreciate the help anyway. I actually had no idea of the time track and time might be useful for future things :)

This tutorial might help you get a result.

It is intended for use with the LipSyncr2 plugin for AE (https://aescripts.com/lipsyncr/), that can be used as links to Cinema 4D with Xpresso but you will still be able to use the information to build your own Xpresso though without the use of LipSyncr2. You may be able to justify buying the plugin if you do this sort of thing often as it converts sound files to mouth phonemes automatically.

Here is a link to the project file for you as well http://www.mediafire.com/download/6oy43odm5dnbzd6/lip_syncr_expresso_setup.zip

Good luck with your project.

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • @ABMotion Hi thanks that tutorial really helped a lot!

I finally have the buttons controlling the different poses. Though when I keyframe the data I get a choppy look because the transition from one pose to the other is sudden. There must be a way to fix it but unfortunately it is beyond my understanding of Xpresso haha.

Does anyone here know whether there is a forum or something specified for xpresso help?

Thanks!

Marcus Hamelink

For smooth transitions, the simple way of doing it without Xpresso is to make two keyframes for every move instead of one. Over, say 10 frames, keyframe from 0% to 100% for the new pose and 100% to 0% for the old pose.

The Xpresso way would be to use a MonoFlop in Single Shot mode and do your action over time of morphing from one pose to the other. To see how to use a MonoFlop, the effect can be seen in this Music Box tutorial the @jed produced for someone, but can be used for your project. https://player.vimeo.com/video/239485684 

This is the original post thread if you're interested.

If you get stuck with Xpresso, @jed is a very good guy to speak to and ask questions around here, so perhaps PM him, or he may see his name referenced here and answer for you.