Sign in to follow this  
kbar

Introduction to Katana with Cinema 4D

I am going to be creating a bunch of tutorials to explain how Katana can be used for Look Dev. I will be using Cinema 4D to create all the 3d content in the tutorials and I will be using Pixar's Renderman for the renders (non-commercial version).

This first video is a basic introduction to Katana that uses C4D to create an Alembic file. Then all materials, lights and cameras are applied in Katana. It is then rendered using Pixar's Renderman. 

In future videos I will go over texturing and how to do look dev for large scale scenes. If you have any questions then just ask. If you would like any specific tutorial videos then also just let me know.

• Awesome 1

Thanks for this introduction.

I personally don't see me using this expensive piece of software, but it's nice to know what's out there.

katana is looking awesome from what i've seen so far. the first time i've seen a demo of it my jaw dropped straight to the floor. but i have my doubts the whole katana/mari/renderman and probably nuke workflow is practicable for your planned community film project. the way i see it you might be stuck then with one or two people having to do all the look dev / texturing/ rendering and compositing. even if you can get the foundry to give away a few temporary licenses, people would still have to put some time and effort into learning a software just for that one project, and probably will never be able to use it again because they simply can't afford it. i have my doubts that you can get many people here excited about that. i get that you want to establish a professional film studio pipeline for this project, but i think you might be shooting a little too high here. i don't want to be negative, just trying to be realistic. most people here are comfortable with C4D, and some with 3rd party renderers like arnold, octane, redshift and such. you wrote in another post that you can imagine different scenes being rendered with different renderers, how are you going to make sure the look is really consistent throughout all the shots. not that it's not doable, just means it will be again an extra effort that has to be made and probably will slow things down. again, i don't want to talk anything to death here, and what do i know really, those are just my thoughts on it, maybe others see it completely different.

• Topic Author
  • 47 minutes ago, everfresh said:

but i have my doubts the whole katana/mari/renderman and probably nuke workflow is practicable for your planned community film project.

I made the video since people may not know what Katana is or how its actually used. And I do not expect anyone here will actually have a copy of Katana, or even want to have a copy at all. Mostly this is used in large studio pipelines, although some smaller studios are also now using it.

The videos are just to show what it is and how it can be used.

This post has absolutely nothing to do with the film project post. But to answer your questions, the idea for the film project is that it can look different for different shots. I don't actually expect anyone to have Katana, or even want to use it. But I personally am interested in creating a scene with it, so that is my direction of interest. Different shots can use different renderers and different workflows to help cater to those c4d users who have Octane, while others might have Arnold or Redshift or even use the Standard and Physical renderers. We could even make the movie a montage of different pieces. I think you are jumping the gun a bit since at the moment I am just looking to see who is interested. We are a long way off actually getting started. But for now there are some people interested in the idea, and thats good enough for me personally to start thinking and planning. No one else needs to do anything at all at this stage.

i'm sorry if i misunderstood. like i said, i didn't want to sound negative, i just assumed since you were talking about using katana as well in your film project post it was directly related. my bad. 

1 hour ago, everfresh said:

i'm sorry if i misunderstood. like i said, i didn't want to sound negative, i just assumed since you were talking about using katana as well in your film project post it was directly related. my bad. 

Don't feel bad. I had the same assumption when I started watching.

But halfway through the video I realized that such a workflow/pipeline is not something a hobbyist (*) would be using. And after looking up the details of Katana at The Foundry's website ... especially the cost, I understood this video was as the title suggests: an introduction. No more, no less.

I appreciate the intention, and understand it wasn't focused on the ongoing/near-future collaboration project at the Cafe.

(*) I use "hobbyist" as a general term for non-professional usage, which I understood the whole idea of forum collaboration could be categorized under.

The worldwide users of Katana can be measured in the hundreds I just wonder how many C4D users are would be users of Katana?

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, everfresh said:

No problem at all. I just think Katana is a really interesting workflow and thought others might like to know what it is. 

• Topic Author
  • I have created a new topic in the Sculpting and Texturing club where I will post all the new videos for this tutorial series.

The last price I heard Katana was going for was over $8000 per seat although The Foundry no longer carry the price on their website, presumably if you need to ask how much the answer is you can't afford it. Who knows what price it is now?

If anyone is interested in the workflow kbar is demonstrating there is an alternative application called Clarisse that will do compositing, rendering and look dev for a tenth of the cost of Katana. Go here, https://www.isotropix.com/clarisse This is still way beyond my requirements but there is a PLE version to dabble with.

The major value of applications like Katana and Clarisse is that they allow certain creative decisions to be delayed as late as possible in the post production workflow. If you've got a director that can't make up their mind there's no need to re-render and relight whole scenes based on a director's whim simply delay the process until the compositing stage and get the director to sign off on the look prior to hitting render. The other obvious benefit is the ability to act as a focal point for the VFX pipeline where disparate assets are combined in the one application and the line between 2d compositing and 3d compositing is blurred.

I think these workflows will be what separates bottom feeders like me from the high end.