RenderStorm Farm

Leaving C4D-Land.

spiralstair    55
On 08/02/2018 at 7:08 AM, Midphase said:

BTW, for anyone interested, Houdini Indie now supports animation rendering up to 4k resolution (and stills is unlimited) and upped it to two licenses (so one can run it on a desktop and laptop). Price went up slightly to $269 for 1 year or $399 for a 2-year subscription.

Not so fast!!!

This shift is good and bad in equal measures. I have been operating a workflow on an indie licence for a few weeks between c4d and houdini. I have been building fluid sims in houdini and exporting as alembic to render in c4d. 

But all of a sudden (withouth even updating to the new build) my licence has been downgraded so I can't export alembic files. No documentation about this on side fx site. 

Hmmmm - they want us to do all of the work inside houdini and not take it elsewhere  - a month of work ruined :cry:

Sreckom    13

I do not think it has anything to do with license. Something else happened there. You might used digital asset  from Apprentice or something like that.

spiralstair    55

I have just received an email from sidefx and it seems that all indie users need to update to new daily build to refresh the system. Doing this now, hopefully it will work

southpaw    39

Does the Indie licence work the same way as Adobe's subscription model?

Whereby if you stop paying the annual fee you can no longer use the software?

Or is it similar to MAXON's MSA.

briankoko    5
16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Does the Indie licence work the same way as Adobe's subscription model?

Whereby if you stop paying the annual fee you can no longer use the software?

Or is it similar to MAXON's MSA.

It’s more along the line of adobe’s model. Once your subscription runs out you can no longer use your indie version. It’s good to have a free apprentice version to learn with. It’s more of a learning edition. More restricted, can’t use it for clients or to make money but perpetual. The full version of Houdini FX you can own the license you buy forever. You can get on an upgrade plan similar to MAXON’s MSA. But it costs allot more. 

southpaw    39
48 minutes ago, briankoko said:

It’s more along the line of adobe’s model. Once your subscription runs out you can no longer use your indie version. It’s good to have a free apprentice version to learn with. It’s more of a learning edition. More restricted, can’t use it for clients or to make money but perpetual. The full version of Houdini FX you can own the license you buy forever. You can get on an upgrade plan similar to MAXON’s MSA. But it costs allot more. 

Ah OK, thanks for the clarification. Think it will be apprentice for a while to evaluate.

bobc4d    115
On 2/6/2018 at 12:02 AM, Midphase said:

I think Houdini users fall into two types. The "insider" type of user is the one who I honestly don't relate to -- the one who is not afraid to start typing code and doing some serious math to get things done (i.e. see the Entagma guys). What I am finding however is that there is an "outsider" type of user who relies on the many useful shelf tools to get pretty advanced results from tweaking parameters and having a basic understanding on what node does what. 

I think many old-school Houdini users tend to fall in the insider category and seem to scoff at people who have no interest in building everything from scratch -- however SideFX obviously differs since they seem to be packaging more and more shelf tools into the app. 

I could be completely wrong on this, but I suspect that SideFX understands that in order to attract new users and eventually dominate the field, they need to give people more instant gratification and easier paths to getting high end results without needing to code or build insanely complex node trees. It wouldn't surprise me if Houdini 17 (or whatever number comes next) will continue the trend and create additional shortcuts for more complex tasks. Perhaps even introduce some sort of uber-nodes that can replace and simplify the process. 

Then again, maybe I'm just delusional! ;-)

there are old-school C4D "masters" who scoff at using plugins (like GSG topcoat) to accomplish something which "could" be done without plugins. when I used C4D I used those plugins because: 1 - I was a hobbyist and would go many weeks without firing up C4D  and 2 - it saved me time.  I am learning Houdini, it is a steep learning curve but I like the procedural modeling.

bobc4d    115

another aspect of Houdini is their tech support.  I used to think MAXON's was great but SideFX is superior. after hours and weekends you can get answers usually with an hour if not much more quickly. they have amazing bug reporting , send it in and you'll get a response saying "thanks we'll look into it" or "this is how you can work around it until we get it solved" or "not really a bug, this is how you do it", not silence. 

• Like 1

Midphase    11

Just wondering how the transition was going for some of you?  I'm curious about the struggles or the satisfaction of adapting your workflow from C4D to Houdini's.

Reading up on the R20 rumors reminded me a bit of how low everyone's expectations are for the next version of C4D and if more people will consider different options when R20 is finally released, or if some people will return to C4D from other platforms?

Rectro    646
2 minutes ago, Midphase said:

Reading up on the R20 rumors reminded me a bit of how low everyone's expectations are for the next version of C4D and if more people will consider different options when R20 is finally released, or if some people will return to C4D from other platforms?

For me there is no other options.  C4D ticks too many boxes that no other app can, so even if r20 isnt what I hoped it to be the worse case would be I stick with r20 and leave it at that and not bother to upgrade again.  I know people using r10 still and they are doing just fine.  I wouldn't take much notice of rumours.  Houdini is way to complex for me, id be going backwards making life harder for myself, not easier even if the tools produce better outcomes.

Dan

• Like 4

spiralstair    55
On 17/03/2018 at 5:57 PM, Rectro said:

Houdini is way to complex for me

Dan, I think you would do really well with Houdini. I'm still a novice, but my feeling is that it feels more scary than it is. The great thing about c4d is the easy to use interface that we all fell in love with. But you, like many others on this thread are using the advanced options in c4d and so far in my experience it can be harder to use c4d for some advanced things than Houdini (which runs with specactular efficiency in comparison). Take for example dynamics - Houdini is hands down the best application for dynamics and although the shelf tools may seem daunting at first, i have found so far that with many of these things there is an initial steep learning curve and then ... it just works. There are some sweeping statements here, but I think it's good not to discount it. And side fx want us to learn it and so give it for free. 

The node structure in houdini looks complex at first, but it's less complex than xpresso and far far more elaborately powerful. And most importantly it is often a graphic visualisation of all of the operations you would do in c4d.

I think houdini is the future and I agree with @Midphase that the users here are expecting too little of R20.

i think R20 should be fully multithreaded at very least

• Like 2

Rectro    646
13 hours ago, spiralstair said:

Dan, I think you would do really well with Houdini. I'm still a novice, but my feeling is that it feels more scary than it is. The great thing about c4d is the easy to use interface that we all fell in love with. But you, like many others on this thread are using the advanced options in c4d and so far in my experience it can be harder to use c4d for some advanced things than Houdini (which runs with specactular efficiency in comparison). Take for example dynamics - Houdini is hands down the best application for dynamics and although the shelf tools may seem daunting at first, i have found so far that with many of these things there is an initial steep learning curve and then ... it just works. There are some sweeping statements here, but I think it's good not to discount it. And side fx want us to learn it and so give it for free. 

The node structure in houdini looks complex at first, but it's less complex than xpresso and far far more elaborately powerful. And most importantly it is often a graphic visualisation of all of the operations you would do in c4d.

I think houdini is the future and I agree with @Midphase that the users here are expecting too little of R20.

i think R20 should be fully multithreaded at very least

I will certainly give it a try end of this year.  Im getting used to nodal systems more these days now Im using Natron (Nuke clone) I have been hitting some brick walls recently while on a bigger project in C4D.  The view port has had some major slow downs, and have found many limitations with NLA motion clips that have lost me hours of work.  R20 needs to be significant, and I dont mean shiny new features as such, but speed, more reliable dynamics. 

To elaborate on this a bit.  I have long reeds as instances to hair.  I went with this as I wanted wind to blow over 400 of them around a pond.  By now we should have it so the geometry can self collide.  Using forces hair to hair, Hair to surface takes such a  huge hit that I was getting during cache 1 frame every 5 min.  muscle self collision, jiggle with self collision to name a few.  Im very happy with most of what C4D gives me, but iv had a taste this month of what can bring it down.

Thanks, Dan

• Like 1