Leaving C4D-Land.

Igor    507
13 hours ago, spiralstair said:

How fast could you simulate an ocean in c4d? Believe it or not the intro videos you will find peak at around 8 mins to explain it. 

There is a lot of poking fun at Houdini being 'different' and hard - and of course you can frame it that way. But come on people. It's a similar tool which is very very powerful with many overlaps. It's much cheaper to use for most users than c4d and integrates well. Why not just think of it as part of the family rather than poking fun at it in fear of the unknown

how hard is it to change the colour of a jpeg in Microsoft word? How hard is it to spell check in Photoshop? Come on people

No one is making fun of Houdini, there is nothing funny in it, its a powerful tool but not for everyone and like million times said, every 3D app has its own pros and cons. And in the future, that gap will be smaller and smaller, simply because every app aims for being the best. No matter how good one app is, some people will simply prefer one over the other, no matter what, that's just the reality. 

• Like 1

Midphase    12
23 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Man..this would do my head in, seriously. If that's what it's like to do something as simple as a basic table then i can imagine it getting even more tedious as the difficulty of the model increases, Houdini is awesome in many ways, but i just couldn't work that way

I hate that damn tutorial. SideFX should at the very least ask the author to re-title it because it is not what I would call an introductory type of video. I brought up that exact tutorial several months ago (earlier in this very thread) to exemplify why I had no interest in giving Houdini a try since the entire app seemed like sheer insanity to me.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

In actuality, modeling in Houdini is IMHO much more efficient and well designed than C4D. Not for everything of course -- at the moment Houdini lacks the type of clay-like sculpting functions that an app like Z-Brush excels at. But for hard-surface modeling, I think Houdini is vastly superior and faster to what C4D currently offers. The Houdini Boolean tool for instance is what C4D users have been dreaming about for years (think the MeshBoolean C4D plugin, except with good topology).

But to be clear -- modeling in Houdini does not have to involve the ridiculous number wrangling shown in that particular tutorial. Moving points and polygons, extruding, bending, tapering, beveling, mirroring etc. all work exactly the way you'd expect them to work in C4D.  The main difference is that where one would pull up a deformer or effector in C4D, in Houdini one pulls up a node. That's pretty much it!

• Like 1

VECTOR    530
5 minutes ago, Midphase said:

I hate that damn tutorial. SideFX should at the very least ask the author to re-title it because it is not what I would call an introductory type of video. I brought up that exact tutorial several months ago (earlier in this very thread) to exemplify why I had no interest in giving Houdini a try since the entire app seemed like sheer insanity to me.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

In actuality, modeling in Houdini is IMHO much more efficient and well designed than C4D. Not for everything of course -- at the moment Houdini lacks the type of clay-like sculpting functions that an app like Z-Brush excels at. But for hard-surface modeling, I think Houdini is vastly superior and faster to what C4D currently offers. The Houdini Boolean tool for instance is what C4D users have been dreaming about for years (think the MeshBoolean C4D plugin, except with good topology).

But to be clear -- modeling in Houdini does not have to involve the ridiculous number wrangling shown in that particular tutorial. Moving points and polygons, extruding, bending, tapering, beveling, mirroring etc. all work exactly the way you'd expect them to work in C4D.  The main difference is that where one would pull up a deformer or effector in C4D, in Houdini one pulls up a node. That's pretty much it!

Yea that video is very misleading indeed, anyone just watching that in passing would more or less instantly be put off 

Midphase    12

Ok, last post because I don't want to beat this topic to death, but if anyone is interested in what normal modeling looks like in Houdini, I just saw this video and, although it's not the greatest on this particular subject, it shows a bit of what the workflow typically is:

• Like 1

bobc4d    120
12 hours ago, Rectro said:

So does Hudini have direct hands on polygon modelling outside this procedurally driven method? 

Dan

Dan,

yes Houdini does have direct hands on polygon modelling. long time Houdini-ites would say something like "if you change this and that" you could make it procedural

I have this in another thread, it is based on Cerbera column GIF tutorial and the resulting Houdini nodes.  most things were pretty much the same in Houdini as C4D.

column.thumb.png.85e89b6b93cdffbbec33fc9f84847043.png 5ab41a90d80ee_columnnodes.thumb.jpg.4b1dbec71f0b716f3da5e9614efc9cb0.jpg

• Like 1

Cerbera    1,965

Nice to see your result there Bob. I don't think I will ever not model in Cinema, but I do sort of like that stacked nodes approach, and it's great for making tutorials where you can just keep stepping back right to the start.

Talking of which, a Houdini question if I may ? Looking at that node list there, what would happen if you went back to one of the first nodes now, and changed something ? Would that change propagate all the way up the list, or would it do what 3DSMax's stack would, and warn you that you will break later stages by doing this ? Just trying to find out how truly parametric it is !

CBR

bobc4d    120
30 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Nice to see your result there Bob. I don't think I will ever not model in Cinema, but I do sort of like that stacked nodes approach, and it's great for making tutorials where you can just keep stepping back right to the start.

Talking of which, a Houdini question if I may ? Looking at that node list there, what would happen if you went back to one of the first nodes now, and changed something ? Would that change propagate all the way up the list, or would it do what 3DSMax's stack would, and warn you that you will break later stages by doing this ? Just trying to find out how truly parametric it is !

CBR

in general, yes you can make a change in first node and it will propagate that change through the rest of the nodes.  a lot depends on how you modeled the first node.  I hacked up the sphere as you did and that would cause it to not work but if I had gone through and removed the unused parts of the sphere using different and somewhat more complicated method then yes I could make changes and it would work its way through the nodal tree.

thanks for the compliment, it was a fun exercise to do and it helps learning Houdini.

Cerbera    1,965
5 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

it was a fun exercise to do and it helps learning Houdini.

Thanks for the info there - good to know. £300 seems like such a small amount for such power :)

I see you found my Ionic Capital GIF :) I was working on Part 2, but half way through decided it might be better to do the whole column and in fact a whole Greek Temple scene in a video tutorial instead. I am still finding out if I am any good at those, and will release that if it turns out I am ! ;)

CBR

• Like 1

spiralstair    59
10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

£300 seems like such a small amount for such power :)

you don't need to pay £300 - the apprentice licence is freely available. It has restrictions in output and a few of the more advanced features. They want us to use it. Side FX have openly said they want Houdini to replace Maya as the go to 3D/VFX application

• Like 2

bobc4d    120
21 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Thanks for the info there - good to know. £300 seems like such a small amount for such power :)

I see you found my Ionic Capital GIF :) I was working on Part 2, but half way through decided it might be better to do the whole column and in fact a whole Greek Temple scene in a video tutorial instead. I am still finding out if I am any good at those, and will release that if it turns out I am ! ;)

CBR

I would really look forward to that tutorial.  as spiralstair said, Houdini Apprentice is free, it does have limitations in a few areas but overall it has all the same function as Indie and if you don't renew you revert back to Apprentice AND you don't get dinged if you wait a year or two to jump back into Indie.  ;-) 

Cerbera    1,965
11 hours ago, spiralstair said:

you don't need to pay £300 - the apprentice licence is freely available. It has restrictions in output and a few of the more advanced features. They want us to use it. Side FX have openly said they want Houdini to replace Maya as the go to 3D/VFX application

My list of excuses for not downloading that are dwindling fast. I might just have to...

CBR

• Like 1