Leaving C4D-Land.

Zmotive    57

For kicks (it's been at least 2 versions) I downloaded the apprentice variant for 16.0.736 tonight and had a look through the UI (which has definitely improved some but is also definitely still a mile deep) and the feature set. Mind-blowing. I can see now why MAXON made the move of integrating the Houdini Engine: they probably knew there was no way they could catch up. So instead spin it like you need both elements in the workflow. However it's pretty obvious if a person can become proficient with what's here, you'd have need of no other DCC tools save for a few very specialized apps like ZBrush and Substance stuff maybe.

Easily the deepest toolset I've ever seen. So the question for everyone is really one of available time and dedication. Learning Houdini is not impossible but nothing has changed in that it will require a lot of effort (unless you're super-uber-artist who picks up complex apps overnight). Putting in a couple hours every day to learn one small part of the feature set, I could easily see this app taking a year to learn. But on the other hand the payoff you'd get in terms of creative freedom and marketable skillset would be pretty huge.

Still not clear to be how much scripting / coding is a core part of the workflow (i.e. you need to know it to really make the app work the way it is intended) but regardless this app is moving ahead in leaps and bounds. Not picking on MAXON (this applies to Maya or any other app being compared) but this feature set... DAMN.

luchifer    34

If I jumped ship every time a new software or version is up, I wouldn't had time to learned anything. I don't expect r20 to be some kind of messiah, at this point in my life, r20 will be a welcome addition into my skill set, but I don't need it to keep working. I do expect X-particles 4 to be a great plugin like xp3 is, though.

I also know procedural cuts my work in half or more and everyone loves procedural, but I am a traditional artist. I love sculpting, drawing and also motion graphics, and the time I 'lose' doing the same sculpting over and over, I improve, so.. I don't really lose time.

Anyway, good luck friend. I love seeing what people can do with Houdini and im looking forward to see your work.

nerv    278

I consider myself a fast learner but have never really clicked with Houdini, despite multiple attempts.  I don't know what it is about it.

It's undeniably way ahead in terms of the underlying technology and features - but it starts losing its appeal when I've spent two hours trying to figure out how to do something that I know I can set up in C4D in about 30 seconds.  

I've lost count of how many times I've tried to get back into it, then wound up rage-quitting.  

For someone like me, who's also more of an artist than a TD, usability and immediacy are a big deal. C4D still wins this category IMO.  

Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing how the transition goes. 

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, PBarrelas said:

I’ve been thinking about the exact same thing as I’m a Redshift user too! I have to make some math in order to see how much it would cost me to maintain an Houdini seat comparared to C4D. Not to mention the learning curve and how much time to get me where I am at the moment with C4D. 

The node locked Artist seat of Houdini is $4,500 with $2.5k upgrade each year.

I do not intend to upgrade each year. I plan to upgrade every 3-4 years which won't be much more than the current cost of upgrading C4D and all of the vast array of plugins I own.

I have a computer that is just used for 3D work so once we reach the end of our years service agreement the system will be locked down and not updated until we update Houdini. Houdini is  so deep it already does more than we'll ever need so we'll only upgrade when we absolutely have to for hardware compatibility down the line. In 3-4 years Houdini will still be lightyears ahead of C4D.

Once you have a DCC like Houdini or XSI that can actually extend its own workflow by building assets (aka plugins) you simply do not need to be on any yearly upgrade path. You only need to upgrade when there is a compelling business or workflow requirement to upgrade.

Cerbera    1,271
    1 hour ago, nerv said:

consider myself a fast learner but have never really clicked with Houdini, despite multiple attempts.  I don't know what it is about it.

Ditto here. And I positively hate its modelling - takes far too long to do the simplest things and looks almost as awful as Maya in the viewport. Has driven me mad every time I've tried :)

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Zmotive said:

For kicks (it's been at least 2 versions) I downloaded the apprentice variant for 16.0.736 tonight and had a look through the UI (which has definitely improved some but is also definitely still a mile deep) and the feature set. Mind-blowing. I can see now why MAXON made the move of integrating the Houdini Engine: they probably knew there was no way they could catch up. So instead spin it like you need both elements in the workflow. However it's pretty obvious if a person can become proficient with what's here, you'd have need of no other DCC tools save for a few very specialized apps like ZBrush and Substance stuff maybe.

Easily the deepest toolset I've ever seen. So the question for everyone is really one of available time and dedication. Learning Houdini is not impossible but nothing has changed in that it will require a lot of effort (unless you're super-uber-artist who picks up complex apps overnight). Putting in a couple hours every day to learn one small part of the feature set, I could easily see this app taking a year to learn. But on the other hand the payoff you'd get in terms of creative freedom and marketable skillset would be pretty huge.

Still not clear to be how much scripting / coding is a core part of the workflow (i.e. you need to know it to really make the app work the way it is intended) but regardless this app is moving ahead in leaps and bounds. Not picking on MAXON (this applies to Maya or any other app being compared) but this feature set... DAMN.

Yes, Houdini is massively deep that's why there are artists that focus on one area of expertise i.e. rigging or fluids or dynamics. There will be parts of Houdini I'll never understand or use and I don't plan on understanding it all only the areas that relate to my work.

I have been learning Houdini for about 16 months with the Indie version and it's been a hard slog to get into. But once you get your head around the different workflow it's actually C4D that feels strange. It's analogous to using a nodal compositor like NUKE or Fusion and going back to AE and finding it sucks. I've wanted to use Houdini on the last couple of jobs but the Indie license is too limited so we decided that when 16.5 is released we'd take the plunge into a full commercial license. We've not decided on a whim to jump ship based on a slick marketing video, this move has been in process for 16 months.

The motion graphics work I do can be described as data visualisation and with Houdini it's very easy to import datasets and manipulate these data as every vertex can hold pretty much any data you wish it to hold then transfer that data elsewhere to any surface or texture etc etc. MAXON has not updated XPresso or TP for a decade, need I say more?

MAXON makes a tiny update to the Voronoi Fracture tool and it's one of the HEADLINE features of R19, this would not even get a mention in a Houdini update. 

• Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, bentraje said:

Hi. For reference,

this site is dubbed as "Greyscalegorilla" for Houdini. 
    http://www.entagma.com/category/tutorials/

Entagma AKA Aixsponza once darlings of the C4D scene.

See also,

https://vimeo.com/search?q=houdini+tutorials

Look for Peter Quint and Rohan Dalvi tutorials for Houdini on Vimeo and YT.

A very basic playlist of tutorials to get started, 

MIX Training has a wide and varied set of tutes sometimes sprawling but he's very generous with his knowledge, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC65D7DvzyyGEqIJVxK-XhDg/feed?disable_polymer=1

regnas    25
    8 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

As for 3D painting does anyone still use Bodypaint?

Someone told me that Bodypaint is very popular among the game developers in China... not sure how true is that.. :lol:

spiralstair    29
    23 hours ago, ABMotion said:
    23 hours ago, spiralstair said:

You can achieve this for Windows with the DirectControl plugin: https://c4dplugin.com/product-dc

Thanks again @ABMotion - have you tried the plugin? Any comments. It looks great - I would like to download a trial but don't have a games controler - will look into it

p

ABMotion    118
    16 minutes ago, spiralstair said:

have you tried the plugin? Any comments.

We used it a while back for a client demo. No issues. The benefit of that plugin is that it also integrates with Xpresso so you can essentially control anything you need to with a gamepad.

In the meantime, have you experimented with the Virtual Walkthrough in Cinema 4D? You can navigate through your scene controlling movement with your keyboard and record the movement as well. Not quite the same as a game controller, but may suit your needs.

Virt_Walk.thumb.png.3829786b7d387bcbee67d8432fbd7475.png

• Like 1

bobc4d    90

I sold my C4D license couple of weeks back and started learning Houdini Apprentice. this FREE version is not really a "lite" version aside from you can't use an outside renderer and is great to learn on. After learning it I will be getting the Indie license and at only $200 a year is a hell of a deal.  It has taken a lot of effort to "unlearn" C4D's way of doing things and get into the procedural mindset.  Once you get used to it, it really does make a lot of sense.  Yes some things take a lot more effort to accomplish in Houdini than a series of clicks in C4D.  There are random crashes but their tech support is pretty quick to follow up. If you have a suggestion for a tool, a quick email to their support and they do get back to you. they had two releases this year H16 in February and just released H16.5  From watching the H16.5 release they seem like they are moving focusing on FX to all aspects of CG.  All in all I like Houdini. 

• Like 2