Leaving C4D-Land.

Isleofgough    7

C4D has advantages of stability, intuitiveness, ease of creating models, simplicity (of things like mograph), NPR rendering, fur/hair, etc. For things like modeling a human, I would use this (or Modo or Maya or 3Ds Max) any day over Houdini, as Houdini is going to save every edit as a node. Where Houdini excels are things like particles, fire, fluids, etc. Its parametric paradigm means that one can substitute complex models for simple objects after the fact. One can do a bit of this with cloners in C4D, changing spheres to teacups etc., but unlike C4D the substitution is much more flexible and not limited to some subset of the program. For example, one can create tentacles of an octopus with something like a sweep nurb, but in Houdini, one can then select certain polygons and create bevels like the suction cup parts. The original curves are still there, so they can be animated, yet the sweep is much more complicated than C4D allows without converting to a polygon object.

In addition, points can have an infinite number of attributes, not just position in space over time. One can create an attribute that is based on some function over time (like sin(time)) or add an attribute of some randomness between 0 and 1. These additional attributes can be used to drive models, particles, etc. Unlike C4D, you seldom paint yourself into a box. For instance, (excluding the bevel effector in C4D), if one creates a complicated bevel and wants to reduce the number of polygons, it just requires a click in Houdini. One has to do a lot of remodeling in C4D. The rendering system (Mantra) in Houdini also allows much more complicated shaders. However, all this comes at an expense of complexity. For instance, creating a spring (sweep nurb of circle along a helix) is a couple of clicks in C4D but requires several not completely intuitive nodes in Houdini.

3DKiwi    321
10 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

but its lack of history state and parametric features (beyond very elementary) made it not workable for my needs.

Have tried out the new procedural modelling in Modo? There's now very little where C4D is ahead.

everfresh    174

as mentioned by myself and many others in this thread ease of use is still c4ds main strength. it seems to be particularly popular among designers and generalists, also people who usually don't have that much of a technical mindset. as for myself i've learned to like the technical aspect of things through learning c4d, and only because of that i have the perspective of being able to flirt with houdini. if it wasn't for c4d, i'd be scared sh*tless even looking at it. what makes c4d still worth every penny for me is that i'm able to produce stuff very quickly, so the money i make by using it doesn't remotely compare to it's price. so at least to me c4d is still a very good deal, although i'd also like them to step up their game. i don't do much vfx stuff for work, or have the need to incorporate the most fancy procedural eyecandy imaginable to the stuff i usually do. sometimes a little bit more funcionality would be nice, but i can usually get by with a plugin or another idea to solve the issue. even though i'm not that happy with c4ds pace of development these days, i'm still happy to use it every day.  i believe houdini can be a huge time saver for complex stuff,  but for the simple things c4d is still unbeatable in productivity IMO. so right now i don't think houdini is that much of a threat to c4d, even though a lot of c4d users have picked it up, i believe most of them still use c4d for the simple day to day work. for me it isn't an either or kind of question, i see houdini as an addition to my toolset, not really a replacement. if houdini ever manages to get near the ease of use of c4d it will be a threat, for now it's more like apples and oranges. others with a more technical mindset and more sophisticated needs might see it differently, but the fact that c4ds userbase is still growing tells me there's still a place for it. 

• Like 4

luchifer    34
2 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Have tried out the new procedural modelling in Modo? There's now very little where C4D is ahead.

I thought modo procedurall was still very basic for mograph users (as in no editable text for example), or NLE. Do they implemented it?

Sreckom    11

Thing is that in C4D you can hit limits, and that is it, can 't do much about it, with Houdini only limit is your imagination. As soon as you get to that stage you will appreciate Houdini even more, Entagma guys are living examples.  Houdini is not 3d app it is 3d OS :D  I was using C4D for couple years and than sold my licence, for me it was too expensive to keep it. All the modeling, rendering, texture painting stuff I do in MODO , Blender or 3DCoat, because their feature set is ahead C4D (exclude modeling). I am even modeling in Houdini more and more.  VfX and some MG I do in Houdini, there is no app that is close to it, period. Paired with Redshit ... I was using Houdini even before purchasing C4D license, so I was familiar with it, but I do understand that people just do not have time to learn it. I believe that MAXON needs to do something with their pricing, and communication, I was owner from C4D 16, upgraded to 17, all these releases were weak, including 19, for the price I had to pay. Especially if you compare to Houdini. I talk to Foundry representatives and Houdini devs on weekly basis (Forums, Slack, Discord, emails), except person that did license switch I never talked to C4D dev or representative. There are few coming here, say something from time to time. ALsoe no official forum, how is that even possible in 2018?  No Linux version is huge drawback for me. And add FREE Blender into equation ...

• Like 1

luchifer    34

Limits have existed since the beginning of time, yet countless movies have been made without Houdini.

I would be using Houdini too but its alien for me (I can follow most tutorials to a point)... Also, I work in broadcast, every work is different and the deadlines are extreme. C4D is unbeatable when one day you need to recreate a car crash, the next day a plane crash and the following week you have to do a medical recreation. In my spare time I sculpt in Zbrush, so... I dont need parametric and I simply dont have time to build a parametric tool I dont need (how many planes crash in a year? Two? Three?)

Sreckom    11

Thing is that you can be much faster in Houdini than in C4D. That is the point. You build tool once, and rebuild it and improve if needed. You can tailor it your requirements, thus make it even more faster. With C4D you get tools tailored to what most artist use, zero effort on your side, but as soon as you need more, you are stuck. Someone will never get to that point, and it is perfectly fine, but for others it is different. Most of XSI user base did switch to Houdini, most of C4D TDs I know switched or are in process of switching to Houdini. Indie made many hobby artist do the same. You just can not ignore that momentum. 

Most of large game facilities are using Houdini to QUICKLY build their worlds...

Yeah, movies were made before Houdini, but today no one will make Jurasic Park the way it was made first time.... Things evolve you know.

nerv    278

I think we've already entered "beating a dead horse" territory here. 

• Like 1

3DKiwi    321
9 hours ago, luchifer said:

I thought modo procedurall was still very basic for mograph users (as in no editable text for example), or NLE. Do they implemented it?

Procedural text is now possible in Modo. Procedural modelling in Modo is a long way ahead of C4D now.

luchifer    34
1 hour ago, 3DKiwi said:

Procedural text is now possible in Modo. Procedural modelling in Modo is a long way ahead of C4D now.

Thats great to hear. Adding X-particles into the comparison how does Modo stand against C4D + XP ? I use quite a few plugins here, but the last time I downloaded Modo demo it was too clicky for me, but very well organized and artist friendly.

I also apologize for beating the horse.

bobc4d    90

I sold my C4D license for reasons completely unrelated to costs of MSA or the seemingly lack of quality upgrades.  I believe C4D is unequaled in its intuitiveness and ease of use. My leaving was a very personal reason which only a couple of people here know.  I looked at Blender, I just couldn't get into it it just didn't feel right to me. Then I tried Houdini. Something about Houdini just clicked for me. Maybe it is the complexity and having to jump though a dozen hoops to do simple things in Houdini but it feels comfortable to me, frustrating, but comfortable and with what I have going on in my life I needed the focus and patience it takes to do those simple things.  If it weren't for what I have going on I would still have R19 and be banging the drums of R20.