DanielCFilho

UV - Multiple objects, single texture

Hello, guys.

After taking the time to watch the magnificent tutorial about Bodypaint from 3dKiwi, I was able to finnaly unwrap a fairly complex model with lots of objects. But the thing is I wanted to arrange the separate uvs in single maps according to materials, i.e, all metal objects in one single map, all plastic objects in another single map and so on. I was able to finish the task after reading some threads here, but I was wondering if I'm missing something.

The process I used for each desired map was:

1 - Unwrap each object separately (no problem with that, thanks to 3dKiwi)

2 - Put all the objects under a connect object (disable the welding and set the phong mode as manual)

3 - Make it editable (Current state to object)

4 - Go to the UV Edit layout and use the realign command to arrange the uvs (enabling the equalize island size)

5 - Select each separate object (using the fill selection command in polygon mode) and split one by one into a new object

6 - Then pasting each resulting uv tag to the respective original object

The problem I encountered with this proccess was that after splitting the objects (step 5) some resulting uvs couldn't be used on the original objects:

1 - their uv poygons didn't match the respective original model polygons,

2 - In some cases they would indeed match but the uv polygons were disconnected (they looked ok in the map but after using the realign command as a test each uv polygon was separately arranged, meaning they didn't form a single island no more)

3 - In a few cases, both things happened.

Whenever that was the case I just used the splitted object from the connect directly in place of the original instead of just pasting the uv tags, cos' with the splitted objects the uvs resulted ok in all cases. But that was a problem, cos' I had to rearrange the axis and correct the phong on each one.

As I said, I was able to do it and i like the result very much (It's my first unwrapped model ever), but I got the feeling that this proccess seems like a kludge (I don't know if this is the adequate term... In Brazil we have the word "gambiarra" for things like that, for when a strange and messy improvised measure is used in the lack of a formal solution). So I was wondering if you guys have any tips for solving this matter in another way (without using another software).

Thanks.

PS: I'll attach some images of the aforementioned model.

Control_Panel.jpg

06 (20 passes) (3-3-2-4).jpg

Standard_Metal.jpg

Well, I personally use my Seamilar plugin for this.

But to comment on your workflow: you don't need to perform your step 3. You don't have to make your connect object editable.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, C4DS said:

But to comment on your workflow: you don't need to perform your step 3. You don't have to make your connect object editable.

Really? How can I realign the separate uvs into only one map without making the connect editable?

25 minutes ago, DanielCFilho said:

Really? How can I realign the separate uvs into only one map without making the connect editable?

Simply open a second Texture view, and drag your connect object into this view, then lock the view.

In the original texture view you can then select the UVs of one object, while in the new texture view you can see all objects.

Navigate the UVs in the first view and check in the second view if you don't overlap with other objects.

Unfortunately, there is some lag in the second view since it only shows the update after you release the mouse.

This is one of the reasons why I created my Seamilar plugin, which allows to see all objects in one view, and navigation shows real-time changes.

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, C4DS said:

Simply open a second Texture view, and drag your connect object into this view, then lock the view.

In the original texture view you can then select the UVs of one object, while in the new texture view you can see all objects.

Navigate the UVs in the first view and check in the second view if you don't overlap with other objects.

Unfortunately, there is some lag in the second view since it only shows the update after you release the mouse.

This is one of the reasons why I created my Seamilar plugin, which allows to see all objects in one view, and navigation shows real-time changes.

I had already found this instruction on other threads here, but the problem is that you have to manualy scale everything. When you make the connect editable you can then use the realign (with equalize island size) and the uvs will be automatically resized maintaining the overall relative proportion. That seems simple, but in a case with a lot of different objects it would take a long time to get all their uvs proportional using your method, and the ultimate result would be just an aproximation.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:41 PM, DanielCFilho said:

I had already found this instruction on other threads here, but the problem is that you have to manualy scale everything.

but in a case with a lot of different objects it would take a long time to get all their uvs proportional using your method

Sorry, overlooked your description of using the realign command.

But if the native tools don't provide this feature, then I "simply" create my own tool

(available in next update of Seamilar)

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, C4DS said:

But if the native tools don't provide this feature, then I "simply" create my own tool

(available in next update of Seamilar)

Must be a good tool that of yours, man. I'll check It out one of these days. Thanks for the help anyways.