Cerbera

IQP Drinks Bottle Challenge - Results

Hello elitists :)

Disappointing amount of entries for this one, but thanks to everyone that tried, and especially those that made it to the finish line.

We have finished the judgings for this challenge:

First Place - @mrittman

Second place - @Ciarma

Judges Comments

Both contestants did a pretty damn reasonable job of this model, which had some tricky little modelling dilemmas to solve.

But neither were perfect either ! Mr Rittman had done what we thought was the better overall modelling job, particularly on the top section, which was what I'd call very close to A* perfect, but in his grid mesh we did find some unwanted boundary edges across the middle, and we did spot that the central post was a fair way off centre :) But his otherwise excellent modelling and edge flow design more than made up for this.

5a016a041cba2_mm2.thumb.jpg.fb441f0265ad7e5a2343261b311eeb06.jpg 5a016a013d1ff_mm1.thumb.jpg.c6428bfdcaa2e3568455bd7cb4611eb3.jpg

Ciarma has also done a pretty good job of the top, but we feel it's just not quite as good an edge flow as MR's mesh, specifically around the join with the drinking spout. Here's the 2 side by side. Note Mr Rittman's control loops are an uninterrupted line around that section.

5a0169fbd2e26_ciarma2.thumb.jpg.939bba8af1a458a4e9fd8acd514daecc.jpg 5a016b93a35ec_mm3.thumb.jpg.f84a56692d0bbe304a074aeef46bd301.jpg

Personally, on MR's mesh I would have added one more control loop the other side of the seam to really tighten that area up, but the edge flow is superb.

Ciarma also had a few complex poles (some really complex, with lots more than 5 points) in his model. Whereas MR was all-quads, and only (max 6 point) complex poles where he absolutely had to. 

5a0169f75c0a1_ciarma1.thumb.jpg.814e8badecf2615c230cbeaf44819b2d.jpg 

So well done again to the winners, and we'll be back with Elite modelling challenge 3 (I've seen it and it's a cracker!) when enough people ask us :)

CBR / VECTOR

• Like 3

Yeah man, i was no where near the level for this one, even looking at this meshes a have a hard time figuring out where to begging. Wish i had more time to at least try.  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for this score that honestly was unexpected to me.

I have learned so much after looking at other participants' edge solutions. 

In fact the join with the drinling spout mentioned above has been one of the biggest head hacke and I ended up with a solution on which I was not too confident myself.

Ciarma

• Namaste 1

• Topic Author
  • 34 minutes ago, Ciarma said:

In fact the join with the drinling spout mentioned above has been one of the biggest head hacke and I ended up with a solution on which I was not too confident myself.

That's totally cool, it's all a learning process and hopefully you will be able to nail a joint like this next time you have to do one. The key difference between his one and yours was that he used the control loops for the horizontal edge as part of the main geometry of the spout, whereas you joined your control loops into the ones running the other way, interrupting the edge flow around it

CBR

Congrats on the winners. Too bad Han Solo couldn't make it to the finals thread as his attempt seemed to be quite good as well. I will do my best to participate in the next one again!

Oh wow that is awesome!! Thank you so much for the very kind comments :) It's really encouraging to hear! Haha for some reason I thought the cylinder on that mesh was intentionally offset! Whoops! Thanks again, and I hope more people will be able to take part in these challenges in the future!

• Like 1