Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hebeinpj

railroad tracks building on

• Topic Author
  • Hello C4Ders,

I have been trying to replicate a project I saw, where a railroad track is being built on, as it moves across screen. I am having a difficult time coming up with a solution for this. I want the track to expand, with the end of it bent up, to make it seem like it's constantly laying track, as well as the railroad ties appearing in place. I have some methods for doing this, but I cant seem to get the bend to move along with the rest of the rack that is expanding. I hope this makes sense. I will include a still. If you need anymore explanation, please let me know. I know it will have to be something with xpresso, I just am not sure.

thanks in advance!

Peter

railroad.png

You could use a cloner object, to clone your railroad track pieces along a spline, so you can use effectors with a falloff to animate them on (scaling from zero and moving in the Y direction). 

You didn't say how the expansion of the rails is solved. But assuming it's Extrude with growing movement in one axis, you can use it as a driver for a position of a bend deformer. You can even dynamically change subdivision of that Extrude or control position of you track effector – one which drops sleepers at the front.

rails.thumb.jpg.21138fc49e21c50faaf34aab983dc14b.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tipgcmj6bt3q08/rails.mp4?dl=0

• Topic Author
  • Wow, Thanks for the quick response guys! I will be checking both of these out, and let you know how it works out! The expansion of the rail is the major issue, and then getting them to animate with one controller, but that is not too pressing. I will put this to work. Thanks again!