Sign in to follow this  
kidznc

Linking rigged character onto a bicycle

Hello all:

First off - I was not entirely sure whether I should post here or directly in the newbie thread. Though I've worked in C4D lightly for my own personal projects (mostly motion tracking onto live-action footage through AE), I've never had a project requiring character rigging - until now. Worked myself into it.

I've attached a photo of what I'm working (wrestling?) with. The end goal is to use the bicycle and human model for a 30-second video (not a game) hence the bicycle's wheel and pedal rotations are linked directly to the bicycle's motion within global space with Xpresso.

So far, the bike has been fine. It's when I've tried to make a rigged character ride it that's been a problem (note, the rig is an unmapped test object for now - figured there was no point in making it nice until I knew what I was really doing). I was having some trouble with the human object's initial rig (with conventional joints), so I removed it entirely and decided to give Cinema4D's automatic character rig a try. I've had no problem getting the rig into place on the bike (which I fear may be the wrong way of going about it), but my main problem has been trying to link the controllers with the objects on the bike (or nulls tied to those objects). 

Unlike a rig with a conventional walk cycle, I need the foot controllers to follow the pedals with every rotation of the crank. I assumed this would be possible with nulls, but I can't add a null to the controller - and even without the null, I can't get the controller itself to link with the pedal motion with Xpresso.

think I know where this is headed - that I can't use the Cinema4D auto-rig for anything other than a walk cycle. I don't mind reverting to the previous IK rig, though as I recall, that gave trouble as well (though I don't remember if that was out of my own novice knowledge of rigging initially). But I also don't know if that type of rig is compatible with my idea either.

Would anyone happen to have a recommendation as to how I should move forward, lest I spend more time trying to achieve something the wrong way?

Thank you!

-Kurt

bicycle-rigged.jpg

" but my main problem has been trying to link the controllers with the objects on the bike (or nulls tied to those objects). "

Add constraint (such as PSR or Parent) to your controllers link to your object (seat, pedal, etc). Can you share a scene file?

Here is a simple set up.  Much like bentraje said.  I added IK chain to legs, but used a custom null as the goal positioned at the ball of foot.  I made a null for each pedal and positioned that on the pedel geometry as a child of it.  I then use constraints PSR, from IK goal of foot to Null of Pedal.

Well tried to pose a giff but it wasnt working on this forum now?

zXbILXe.gif

bicycle.c4d

13 hours ago, KiDZNC said:

think I know where this is headed - that I can't use the Cinema4D auto-rig for anything other than a walk cycle.

Not true you can use the rig to do anything you like.

Only issue you may have with the character tool is locating the right controller that is the goal of the IK for the legs, and adjusting the IK end to a different bone other than ankle but to the Foot.  Its a bit of s nest in there and can take a while to work it all out.  For this reason if the character is just going to be sitting on a bike id rig it from scratch and not use the character tool.

Dan

As Rectro already mentioned,The basic rig is a lot easer to connect, but if you really want to understand the character object rig and you are up for a challenge here is an example I made. You will have to ignore the bike animation as it was done free hand and key framed, the bike is not rigged. The character is constraint to the various part of the bike with constraint tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhvmbUn1Yw

I didn't alter anything, I have constrained the foot controller to the pedal in position only.

i also constraint the pedal to the foot control in rotation only.

15 hours ago, bentraje said:

" but my main problem has been trying to link the controllers with the objects on the bike (or nulls tied to those objects). "

Add constraint (such as PSR or Parent) to your controllers link to your object (seat, pedal, etc). Can you share a scene file?

I just tried both types of constraints with no luck; the bike and crankset will animate forward, but the character will remain in place.

There is one thing that comes to mind now that I think about it though (again, bear with me, still #noob) I can only put a constraint on the component object (R_leg) - not the actual controller, R_leg_foot.

bike-pedal-constraint.thumb.jpg.387d80746d3f49c917e4540e9cd6f0c1.jpg

Also, this only happens with the animate tag clicked under character object properties, and the IK disconnects from the model skin if anything else is clicked, so I think the binding got screwed up somewhere (or I'm just not aware of how this thing really works).

At any rate, here's a cut down version of the scene file with the basics intact: https://miami.box.com/s/49yeue9whumkkqdkn9vwwjbm5qjq7gbo

FYI, I've already changed the manner by which the pedals rotate (or, rather, don't rotate), but I did so on a separate scene file with just the bicycle. I haven't bothered to update the bike model that I'm using for these tests.

6 hours ago, Rectro said:

Here is a simple set up.  Much like bentraje said.  I added IK chain to legs, but used a custom null as the goal positioned at the ball of foot.  I made a null for each pedal and positioned that on the pedel geometry as a child of it.  I then use constraints PSR, from IK goal of foot to Null of Pedal.

Well tried to pose a giff but it wasnt working on this forum now?

zXbILXe.gif

bicycle.c4d

5 hours ago, Rectro said:

Only issue you may have with the character tool is locating the right controller that is the goal of the IK for the legs, and adjusting the IK end to a different bone other than ankle but to the Foot.  Its a bit of s nest in there and can take a while to work it all out.  For this reason if the character is just going to be sitting on a bike id rig it from scratch and not use the character tool.

Dan

Dan, I'm really tempted to go back to the simplicity of a manual IK rig like this, but your beautiful example looks like this on my side. The crankset is pointed along the Z axis over here unlike your video, which shows the model pedaling along the X axis.

rectro-model.thumb.jpg.af36c8b8d8884925e5bf0db3c1afe9a8.jpg

At left, before running animations. At right, running the animation.

Seems as if the coordinate system is getting confused, I assume? I'm now more intrigued to find out what's preventing your model from running correctly on my system before anything else, out of fear that something is wrong in my C4D.

1 hour ago, digitvisions said:

As Rectro already mentioned,The basic rig is a lot easer to connect, but if you really want to understand the character object rig and you are up for a challenge here is an example I made. You will have to ignore the bike animation as it was done free hand and key framed, the bike is not rigged. The character is constraint to the various part of the bike with constraint tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhvmbUn1Yw

Do you have a picture that shows how/which character controllers are constrained to each object?

EDIT: Just read your additional reply to Dan. Would really like to see how you accessed the controllers to constrain, as opposed to the components in the objects manager. It's probably something I haven't figured out with C4D yet.

Thanks again. 

-Kurt

P.S.: Really feels wonderful to be a first-poster and a newbie and not get talked down to for being either - super refreshing change of pace from most forums. Thank you!

To access the foot/arms/waist controllers on the characters object you need to go to>character >object>display >components>Full hierarchy. Be aware there is a health warning for viewing the full hierarchy for the first time.

its nearly teatime here will be back later if more explanations are needed good luck.