Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

ostraken    0

Hi all

Im having a problem with team render

I'm using two machines a Mac with 64 GB memory with a Terabyte of space and Windows machine with 256 GB of memory with a Terabyte of space

I maxed out the number of threads on each machine to 256 for the picture viewer and renderer and basically maxed out the amount of memory and HD space on both machines.  You'd think that the render would fly but it' took 33 hours to render a scene with GI and Ambient occlusion and it didn't finish.  I'm clearly doing something wrong.  Can someone point me to a tutorial that discusses the settings for faster rendering?  Something that goes into depth about number of threads, memory and HD space allocation for GI and Ambient occlusion?  

GI.png

PYS.png

AMO.png

ABMotion    86

See this thread as it should help you go through some things to check.

There is a video in there by 3D Fluff as well that you should watch.

Note particularly how your machines are networked. Definitely use wired, not wireless and set Static IP addresses, not DHCP.

You haven't said how long a frame takes on one machine without Team Render. You also noted the specifications of the machines by HDD and RAM, but number of Cores and speed of each core (GHz) is important here.

Not sure what you mean by :

19 minutes ago, ostraken said:

I maxed out the number of threads on each machine to 256 for the picture viewer and renderer

Do you mean memory? 256 threads is massive if you're referring to CPU power. Where are you setting that? Literally maxing everything out can cause issues as well as you're not leaving anything or other operations of the computer.

ostraken    0
  • Topic Author
  • hello and thx for replying

The windows machine has a speed of 1.18GHz and a maximum speed is 2.50GHz with 2 sockets and 20 cores and 256 GB of memory

The Mac has 3 GHz 8-core intel Xeon E5.  Memory 64 BG 

Under "Renderer" I set my prefs on both to 256 for "custom number of threads"

Under "Team Render" I set my prefs on both under "Local Settings" > "Custom Number of threads to 256 and Share machine over network is ticked

On the Mac side under > "Memory > "Picture viewer" I have unlimited ticked and Hard Drive (MB) set to 100000000

"Memory" (MB) is set to 64000

On the Windows side under prefs > "Memory" > "Picture viewer" > "Memory (MB) set to 250000 and Hard drive (MB) set to 1000000 with unlimited ticked

Open GL is set to default...kind scared to mess with this.  

One frame without team render takes well over 30 mins...  going on 52 mins and still counting GI squares.  

The windows machine is over a network could that be the problem?

ABMotion    86

You didn't respond with how long that scene takes with just one of your machines. You have given no clue as to what you mean by "scene". Is it a still or an animation with a number of frames? Saying how long a frame takes is irrelevant without something to compare it to. 33 hours is not uncommon at all for a scene if it's animation, but there are so many factors involved i.e. number of frames, what's in the scene etc.

If it's a still, single frame, Team Render assign "buckets" based on the availability and capability of each machine, so if one of your machines is substantially slower than the other, this can also cause speed benefits to be less than you might imagine because it then really is mostly one machine doing all the work and the slower machine will hold it back. It can be even worse problem with an animation made of many frames. It will assign frames and again the slower machine will hold it back somewhat and make a smaller difference to the overall time it would take on a single fast machine.

4 hours ago, ostraken said:

The windows machine is over a network could that be the problem?

If you read through that previous post, it depends how it's networked. It has to be networked, but wireless is undesirable. Wired & static IP's preferable.

4 hours ago, ostraken said:

The windows machine has a speed of 1.18GHz and a maximum speed is 2.50GHz with 2 sockets and 20 cores and 256 GB of memory

The Mac has 3 GHz 8-core intel Xeon E5.  Memory 64 BG 

Under "Renderer" I set my prefs on both to 256 for "custom number of threads"

Under "Team Render" I set my prefs on both under "Local Settings" > "Custom Number of threads to 256 and Share machine over network is ticked

I think there is a definite issue with the number of threads you're assigning.

For the PC, I assume that's a Xeon processor and if you're setting 256 threads, that doesn't make sense with 2 socket 20 core. 20 cores gives you 40 threads. So definitely look into that.

The Mac has 8 cores, so that has 16 threads.

I think you're definitely going overboard with putting everything to its maximum. As I said previously, maxing everything out for RAM and HDD is counterproductive as you're not leaving resources for the OS and anything else that may be running on those machines.

ABMotion    86

To add to my previous post, you haven't given any real detail about your scene, so the length of time it takes might be the way it is.

However, the issue might also be that your scene is not optimized as efficiently as it could be, so thought I'd post this tutorial by Helloluxx that might give you some handy pointers.

ostraken    0
  • Topic Author
  • You didn't respond with how long that scene takes with just one of your machines. You have given no clue as to what you mean by "scene"

I said this in my previous post

One frame without team render takes well over 30 mins...  going on 52 mins and still counting GI squares.

I basically gave up after 60 mins.  It's an animation but I rendered out one frame as a PNG file  just to see how long it would take without team render.  I did find this tutorial and it helped.  Unchecking the blurriness under options cut the time.  One frame took 6 mins.  I set it up the full animation (181 frames)  to render before leaving for the day.   I'll check it out in the morning to see how long it took to render.  My workstations are using CPU for rendering so that's a big problem according to my research today.   The optimizing Scenes in C4D looks promising.  

Thanks for the help and sorry for not being specific.

ABMotion    86
    26 minutes ago, ostraken said:

I'll check it out in the morning to see how long it took to render.  My workstations are using CPU for rendering so that's a big problem according to my research today.

If you're using the in-built Physical render engine which I believe you are from your first screenshots, then CPU is all that's used.

It is only if you're using a 3rd party GPU renderer like Octane or Redshift or the new ProRender engine where GPU is a factor.

You need to be careful which video tutorials you take advice from. Not everyone who makes tutorials knows what they're talking about and the video you linked to is not the best, especially regarding threads allocation.

Did you look into and resolve the issue I mentioned about the number of threads you were using?

The number of threads you have available to you is far less than you've mentioned. You are not allowing enough resources for the OS and any background programs running on your machines. This can cause issues and actually slow the machine down to a crawl if it is conflicted in how to allocate resources.

ostraken    0
  • Topic Author
  • You are right about tutorials.  I normally go with GSG or Rob Redman.  They're both very good.  I did bump down the threads to 20 on both machines  according to the last youtube clip I posted and unchecking blurriness really did help.  I have Vray and considered purchasing a gpu option.   Thanks for the help

ABMotion    86
    1 minute ago, ostraken said:

I did bump down the threads to 20 on both machines

That is still too high for you Mac. You Mac only has 16 threads available in total. You need to set it less that 20.

Your PC has 40 threads available, so if you're going to manually set it, that could actually be higher.

Honestly, I'd leave the preferences alone and let the software work it out. In other words, don't manually set the number of threads at all. Not sure where you got the need to do that.

Did you also check and reset the RAM to ensure that is not set too high where it leaves no resources for the base OS and background?

6 minutes ago, ostraken said:

according to the last youtube clip I posted and unchecking blurriness really did help

That of course depends on your scene but could drastically affect the way your image looks. It will speed it up as you are totally disabling blurriness, but I wouldn't suggest that good advice overall nor the first place I'd suggest to make a difference. It's too blunt. DOF, motion blur, roughness levels on materials, absorption depth on transparent materials, GI etc. all add up. Sometimes you can reduce sample settings to speed up scenes but see very little visual difference. Different methods for Physical Renderer can make a huge difference as well. The video I linked to from Helloluxx (a very respected company) will definitely help you learn what to change and why.

ostraken    0
  • Topic Author
  • My final render took 44 hrs.  I'll have to check the settings.  

here are a few shots of my tests and final renders

Shot 3 Still Dish was the desired profile but is simply didn't finish rendering the animation 

Shot 4 I pulled back on the ambient occlusion but it was kinda splotchy 

SHOT 3 STILL DISH.png

SHOT_4_PLATFORM_UP_F16-90test33.png

ABMotion    86

Based on what you've said in your other posts, 181 frames at 44 hours is 14-15 minutes each. You haven't mentioned the resolution of your final animation, but that's not a crazy time per frame. I do think though, looking at the images posted above, you can definitely speed that up and it will all be little tweaks in your render settings and possibly in how you've created your materials.

Definitely watch the video I linked to and check through your Render Settings and how you've created materials. In your first screenshots, you have Custom Sample Count set for GI in Render Settings. Check that isn't too high. I also noticed you set SSS and Blurriness Samples higher. If you have SSS in your scene/materials, that will definitely slow things down along with any transparency you may have in the scene, particularly if you use Blurriness in it.

If you haven't done so already, I would read through and understand the advice I've given about the number of threads you're applying and amount of RAM. If possible, just let the software decide and stop manually entering numbers yourself. Except for specific reasons, there is no need to touch those and I think you may have taken advice from a video I consider incorrect.

Render settings are hard to truly understand and get right. It is always a balance of speed vs quality. It is worth the effort of educating yourself on them though as they can save a large amount of time when you get them right.

I wish you all the best for your project.

• Like 1

ostraken    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks,  you've been a great help.

I'll seek your guidance in the future.

Be well