Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Rendercore Lab

King of Snake

modelling practice: Wacom pen holder

King of Snake    22
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for thecomments and for not vaporising :)
    I have to say making 100% quads in the non-subdivieded poly mesh is not the ultimate objective of modelling. The objective is to make a good model. I didn't make it editable, just made a screenshot with the sub-d object at 1 subdivion to show what Cinema 4D is doing behind the scenes with the sub-d object anyway. For me. it is not cheating, or using any tool in C4D to change your mesh would be cheating just as much. In the end there is really nothing wrong with an n-gon in that spot in the non-subdivided mesh. It has no adverse effects on the edge flow or resulting render at all.

I had an earlier attempt that started with more edges in the base mesh (in the end I felt it was too much as it made the curvature harder to edit) that didn't have the n-gon but then tried again trying to use less edges, which resulted in that n-gon.
    As for the curvature...well it doesn't seem too bad to  me compared to the actual object, but as I  said it has curvature in all directions and I found it quite difficult to get it right (fixing one angle of curvature messed up another one again), so it probably could be even better.

jed    213

Off-topic, but Wacom related - I recently got an entry level Wacom tablet + pen (23 x 17 cm £80) that I use with Windows Ink on a second monitor, to sketch out ideas, work out math, XPresso + Python etc and I don't know how I ever managed without it. Windows Ink is quite basic, but that's all I need - and it runs full screen. Comes free with Win10.

> my $0.02

• Like 1

King of Snake    22
  • Topic Author
  • haha, yeah whenever I see people do 3D, After Effects or anything else design-related with just a mouse I go like :ohmy:

My old intuos 2 is still going strong. I had one pen die on me at some point so I hope this one holds out for a bit longer as they are impossible to find (or you pay a lot) and sadly pens are not compatible in between different Wacom tablet versions and variants.

Igor    467

I have me Wacom Intuos 4 M for 6y now, still works like day I got it. Amazing! :)

• Like 1