jed

Legoman plays whack-a-mole

jed    213

This week's bit of Python WIP is legoman playing whack-a-mole. There's a null on the vehicle that targets the mole, then the vehicle turns by that H angle and heads for his quarry. When distance to mole is < some value, the mole jumps to a new location.

The sounds are played by sending 1's to sound nodes from the Python at the relevant time. I recorded the sound in real-time using Audacity and 'what you hear' from my sound card, with 'all frames' in C4D off. The resulting wav was only out by 2 frames, which I fixed in After Effects using time stretch, so the sync's not bad, considering.

If you don't already use Audacity audio editor, I recommend you check it out - it's free, and Windows + Mac.

http://www.audacityteam.org/

might amuse someone

• Like 3

digitvisions    51

Hi, I don't usually automate animations but I must say your brilliant work as tempted me to have a go at some automated rigging. I am trying to rig a car with the xpresso ray collision and base80, but I am not sure if the set up you had for the unicycle  without  the Python script can be used on four wheels? I can use Aline to spline for the path, but I want the four wheels to move independently and follow the contour of the landscape.The other option will be to use your tutorials for the mini rig using the dynamic rig.

jed    213
  • Topic Author
  • @digitvisions and @everfresh thanks for the likes. I've jazzed up the 1st legoman so he has a hammer to whack the mole -

here's the scene + code, if anyone wants to have a look - there's comments

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tin82tjylbd35li/legomanmole.zip?dl=1

The Python clocks through some hidden placeholders that the mole jumps to when whacked, then a targeted null detects the angle to the mole, turns the vehicle accordingly and legoman sets off to get him. There's also a bit of camera target smoothing, and autozoom.

Still WIP.

• Like 1

jed    213
  • Topic Author
  • On 11/15/2017 at 5:43 PM, digitvisions said:

Hi, I don't usually automate animations but I must say your brilliant work as tempted me to have a go at some automated rigging. I am trying to rig a car with the xpresso ray collision and base80, but I am not sure if the set up you had for the unicycle  without  the Python script can be used on four wheels? I can use Aline to spline for the path, but I want the four wheels to move independently and follow the contour of the landscape.The other option will be to use your tutorials for the mini rig using the dynamic rig.

I think dynamics and wheel suspension works best for cars on bumpy terrain. In this file I used ray collision to locate the target the car is following onto the surface. The base80 wheel only sees 'sea level' distance AFAIK, so doesn't react to height. When I used the base80 wheel with the unicycle on terrain, it was a bit of a con really (Roll-It reacts to distance on an incline BTW).

terrain.zip

• Like 1

digitvisions    51
    7 hours ago, jed said:

I think dynamics and wheel suspension works best for cars on bumpy terrain. In this file I used ray collision to locate the target the car is following onto the surface. The base80 wheel only sees 'sea level' distance AFAIK, so doesn't react to height. When I used the base80 wheel with the unicycle on terrain, it was a bit of a con really (Roll-It reacts to distance on an incline BTW).

Thanks Jed, Yes I came to that conclusion after long hours of experimenting with the base80. I have managed to rig my car with your dynamics tutorials for the mini. It works well . I will have a look at your new rig and see what that can do for me. Excellent tutorial I have learned a few new xpresso set ups that might come in handy for future projects. And I must say you have an infectious laugh, every time I switch your tutorials on at the part were you laugh my wife bursting into laughter.

i do need the car to react to the terrain contours, and suspension movements. I will post my results later.