Sign in to follow this  
catnap

Modelling

catnap    2

I have another modeling question for you all.

How in the world would this be modeled (silver base) with clean subdivisions. It's not symmetrical.

I tried starting with a tube but cannot figure out how to add the other extrusions.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

catnap

technics-base.jpg

Cerbera    1,214

You need to start this with a disc object, not a tube. Then you need to delete all the topology except the outer edge ring of polys, and then build new topology inside that will support the various forms in your reference. To be honest, you need to have some pretty good SDS modelling skills to be able to make this - this is something like a 'Year 2' project. However, the method is the same as with any other hard surface project - build the topology into a flat surface so that you have the correct geometry for extruding the main forms. 

The hardest part will be adding control edges without disturbing other curvature, but in R14 there is simply no way round that .

CBR

VECTOR    381
17 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You need to start this with a disc object, not a tube. Then you need to delete all the topology except the outer edge ring of polys, and then build new topology inside that will support the various forms in your reference. To be honest, you need to have some pretty stunning SDS modelling skills to be able to make this - this is something like a 'Year 3' project.

CBR

bloody hell always late to the party! but yep ditch the cylinder, change it up for a disk instead if you look at the object's structure you can see what parts would be supported by the poly flow of a disk, id also try to get most of the base form shapes modelled in while the disk is flat like the holes for example then extrude what's needed afterwards, i'd say the actual modelling part was the easy bit (relatively) it's gonna be how you do your edge loops that will be the most difficult part, imo 

Edit - i see cbr edited his original post ;)

Cerbera    1,214
1 hour ago, VECTOR said:

Edit - i see cbr edited his original post ;)

Yeah - I'm always doing that - I keep thinking of additional stuff later :)

VECTOR    381
2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah - I'm always doing that - I keep thinking of additional stuff later :)

oooh i thought  you may have been inspired by my brilliance ;) same approach as me anyway so clearly we're connected on some higher level :D 

Cerbera    1,214
Just now, VECTOR said:

oooh i thought it you may have been inspired by my brilliance ;) same approach as me anyway so clearly we're connected on some higher level :D 

Oh, I'm always inspired by your brilliance, my friend... and you're the only other person in the galaxy who cares about topology as much as I do :)

VECTOR    381
3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh, I'm always inspired by your brilliance, my friend... and you're the only other person in the galaxy who cares about topology as much as I do :)

:D oh you ;) but yes it does seem that way doesn't it 

Glenster    20

IMHO SDS modeling for this kind of hard surface object is obsolete. SDS does not offer accurate radiuses in shape or size. not only is hardsurface modeling much quicker and accurate it also uses a fraction of the polys SDS does. you have the best poly bevel tool/deformer in the buisness at your finger tips, have a go with it, you might like it ;)

• Like 1

3DKiwi    316

This is the sort of thing that's best done in a CAD modeller or Nurbs modeller. That said Modo's Mesh Fusion could also do it. Modelling it Sub D while possible would take a very high skill level.

I think it should be possible with SDS (though for me it would be quite a challenge :)). I think you just need a pretty high amount of subdivisions in the base cylinder/disc to support the smaller details.

Cerbera    1,214

For me, SDS remains preferable, although as Nigel says, skills are necessary, and as Glenster pointed out, this could equally validly be a hard surface model, and that bevel tool is great, although OP doesn't have it in R14 does he ?! :/

CBR 

VECTOR    381

sds for me too, pretty much sds for everything, it would be more difficult mainly for the placement of the support loops, but if you where skilled enough i don't see it being much of an issue, low poly model the main forms, then if needed, make it editable on whichever sub d level gives you enough geo, and model in the rest of the details 

• Like 1