Tarn

Some frames rendering black

Tarn    0

Hi,
I'm a noob to anything 3D. I have a 300 frame animation and the first 93 frames are all rendering as pure black. Every frame after 93 looks great. The animation is a flyover and the landscape I created has a loooot of polygons. The early part of the animation has most of the polygons in frame and the later part zooms in on an area.

My computer is an old machine - '09 macbook pro, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

I sent some stepped test frames to a render farm (frames 0, 30, 60, 90, 120 and, sure enough, the first 4 frames came back black but 120 was fine.
Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've attached the file for anyone to have a look at it. I'm using R17.

Cheers, Tarn

Landscape_small.c4d

Rectro    527

Hello Tarn.

Before anyone can help with the rendering issue you have other issues,  that one being you have an insaine amount of polygons in your scene.  Before you even think of animation you need to adopt a workflow that is optimising your scene.  I open your file on my laptop and it runs out of memory, and crashes. Now my laptop is not the state of the art but it can handle most scenes, more so animation scenes.

You have tools in C4D to allow high detail rendering, while having moderate amount of polygons.  You have access to the SDS tag to smooth geometry, displacment mapping, normal mapping, Xrefs, retopology tools via the Polygon pen.

I would look deeper into your file, but I cant open it long enough.

Dan

Cerbera    1,214

That is some scene scale you've got going on there !

The problem here is the water disc. Hide it, or make its radius 63 km or less and everything's fine. But why it's a problem is slightly more mystifying. Initially I thought the camera was under it, and some tests corroborated that, but others didn't. I am investigating further :)

Rectro    527

I cant even open it without it crashing, there must be a SDS tag on a high poly object or somthing?

Dan

Cerbera    1,214
Just now, Rectro said:

I cant even open it without it crashing, there must be a SDS tag on a high poly object or somthing?

Dan

There is - he has Levl 3 SDS on a 500 x 500 landscape in the viewport ! ;)

Rectro    527

Ahh right.  May not be a issue on a dekstop pc then.

Dan

Rectro    527

I managed to get the file open, just, and found when removing all materials the problem goes away so am wondering if there is some key frames or some issue with some materials, as instantly it renders when materials are deleted?

PS: Water Animated material seems to be the issue.  Maybe you can look deeper @Cerbera as my laptop is struggling?

Dan

Cerbera    1,214
58 minutes ago, Rectro said:

PS: Water Animated material seems to be the issue.

You are right Dan, and more specifically, it's the transparency channel causing the problem, more specifically still the absorption settings. Set that to white and everything renders fine. Still very confusing though, because the camera doesn't appear to be under the water, so that shouldn't have an effect, even though it definitely does in this scene for some reason... very odd.

CBR