Rendercore Lab

DeCarlo    31

It's time for me to learn Hair. I toyed with it when it first came out, but never actually used it in a project.  I've still got R17, and Hair is turning out to be rather complicated and frustrating. Are there any major updates to Hair in R18 or R19 that are going to make learning it significantly easier?  I wanted to get one more project finished before making the big upgrade next summer, but I could try to make it happen sooner if it means learning faster.

Cerbera    1,214
17 minutes ago, DeCarlo said:

Are there any major updates to Hair in R18 or R19

Er... no, AFAIK, that remains unchanged :/ It is complicated, but it kind of has to be to be as flexible and powerful as it is. I recommend cafe maestro @Rectro's excellent and thorough video series on the subject...

Here's 1 of 11...

CBR

• Like 1

Rectro    527

Thanks @Cerbera

For easier access here is the link to the whole play list. (Access from top left of video)  Hair is a very difficult thing to work with in general, but C4D is one of the more easier systems to work with, and iv worked with Carrara, Maya briefly, and Modo.  Id say  If anything it needs just a few more features for more complex hair styles, but iv found what is has is enough, which has got me some nice results recently.  Nothing has be changed in the Hair system for a very long time now, which just goes to show how well that modual was made when it was sold seperatley at one point in the past.

Dan

• Like 1

DeCarlo    31
  • Topic Author
  • Great series, @Rectro!  I knew a lot of the mechanics, but the methodology of using multiple hair objects and as few guides as possible completely changed my process. Worlds of difference so far!

Here's the initial build of the hair for my character: 8 objects, 26K hairs, x5 clones.  Now that I've got the layers assembled, I can get to work on phase two: blending the layers, styling, trimming, refining the hair material, etc., etc.

hairTest.jpg

hairTest02.jpg

Rectro    527

Great start.  Once you have the layers, then you have control to work them in together.  If you change the colour of the guides for each layer its easier to see how your blending them together.  Tiny bit of frizz, length variation, smooth brush your good to go.  When you work with the hair system more your start to get a workflow down and its gets easier.

Dan