Simmy    53

So I ordered a Colido Compact 3D printer tonight. A good size for my little office a decent price and acceptable print size. 

It arrives Thursday and I'm excited to get it all set up. I am sure I will have difficulties with it at first but I will share my experience and prints here as I go along.

TheJimReaper    19

Hi Simmy,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you cancel the order?  I hope you did lots of research on different printers before purchasing Colido Compact?

The Colido was my first printer, I had it for about 4 months and it spent more time getting repaired than I spent using it!!

I may have been unlucky and got a dodgy machine, but if I knew then what I know now, then I never would have bought it.

I'm using a Creality CR-10 now, it's far more superior and it's only about £50 more (going by the prices on Amazon).  For what the CR-10 has to offer, the extra cash is well worth it.  It's currently taking the 3D printing market by storm and for it's price, it's the best on the market.  

The base machine can print out some amazing quality models, better than the Colido, and there are loads of upgrades that you can print out and buy for it, which make it even better.  You can't upgrade the Colido!!

Please check it out if you haven't already.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Cheers

Jim

Simmy    53
  • Topic Author
  • That's disappointing to read. It does appear to be too late. It's on route. The minimal info out there on it all seemed fairly positive and the size of it was appealing as no don't have too much room. The CR-10 looks like it may need too much room

What kind of issues did you have with it?

TheJimReaper    19

I thought it would be great when I first read about it and I saw it being demo'd on Create and Craft on the TV.  As my wife is a member of the club they have I got 10% off the price and could pay for it in 4 installments, which we thought was great.

Creality who make the CR-10 make a whole range of printers.  If you want one  of a similar size to the Colido they do one called the Ender-2 mini, which is 150 x 150 x 200mm for £229 (on Amazon)

As far as the Colido goes, I'll give you the main issues I had as there were so many!  I suffered with it constantly clogging, it wouldn't feed the filament properly through to the nozzle and I was having to unscrew covers to clear it (this happened with all filaments including their own).  When it was printing it wouldn't use the entire build plate, it would miss 1/2 an inch to 1 inch off one of the axis, so I was getting incomplete prints.  I also had a problem with the build plate moving whilst it was printing. It's supposed to stick with suction! but I could never get it to stick well enough so I ended up taping it to the platform and cutting it free once the print had stopped.  One of the last problems I had with it was the build platform would just suddenly drop whilst it was printing and the nozzle would carry on as if nothing was wrong.  If you weren't there when it happened you'd end up with a tonne of wasted filament that looked like spaghetti!

Tech support didn't really have a clue how, what, and why these problems were happening and would just have me send it back to them to look at and when it came back to me it would have another issue.  Luckily one of the Print-Rite offices is 30mins up the road from me so I could drop it into them and collect it when it was done, which saved me a lot in postage costs.  Which reminds of another point to warn you on.  If you do have to send it back to them to be fixed watch where they tell you to send it to.  They'll expect you to cover the cost of sending it to them for repairs!  Firstly they wanted me to send it to their factory in China, and then it was Italy, before they gave me the UK office which happened to be in Nottingham where I live.  When it came to sending to them I refused to send it to either China or Italy as it would have cost over £100 in postage!

Since having the CR-10 I can pick a lot of other faults with the Colido, most of which are design issues.

Levelling can be awkward as you don't have much room to get under the platform to turn the knobs, and if you don't have a mini spirit level, there's no real way of telling if the build plate is level.  And even then you can't really tell until you start printing something!  You might also find you have to start the print 3 or 4 times before you get the filament to stick to the the build plate.  I found that cheap hair spray helped a lot with that!

The photos are of 2 of the issues I had with it, I did have more but can't seem to find them.

As I said before, I might have just been unlucky and had a bad machine, so you may not have any of the problems I did.  Bu tI thought I should give you the heads up about possible issue that might arise.

Jim

Plate move 5.jpg

PLA Stick 1.jpg

Simmy    53
  • Topic Author
  • I appreciate the info. All research on the compact although sparse is pretty positive so thought I was safe. As I can't cancel I will try it. If it appears not to function as advertised i will attempt to return via Amazon. They've been good in the past and get the ender mini. 

I am cautiously hoping you got very unlucky but time will tell. 

I shall report back here with whatever may happen so the next c4d print enthusiast gets all the info

TheJimReaper    19

I'm not sure about cancelling an order once it's on route, but you can return unopened and unused items for a full refund. So you do have that option if you want to take it?

If you do try it, I'd definitely be interested to hear how you get on with it.  Fingers crossed you get a better machine than I did.

Good Luck!

Simmy    53
  • Topic Author
  • First experiences...

Set up was quick and easy although the little thumb drive they provide didn't work at all. Luckily everything I needed was on their website.

It connected fine and without hassle. Test printed loaded and sliced without issue and the printer got it right first time.

Loaded up c4d and made some simple things to print which were small. And that worked fine.

Made a slight more complex model with over hangs and it struggled with it a bit and the finish wasn't so good. I understand the lack of a part cooling fan may be the problem but you can help it with a usb desktop fan to improve this.

I did leave this printing and went to spend some time with the other half. Somewhere half way through the print it had gone wrong and I had a mass of stringy plastic built up. 

I extruded some lettering and tried printing that but some letters seemed to lift from the bed and move about which is no good. 

I also had the bed completely move at one point so will use tape like you did.

I didn't have enough time to do too much printing so this weekend I will do more. I have been asked for a specific shaped cookie cutter so will see if I can successfully do that.

Watching it print is hypnotic. Also the software isn't bad and easy to use. 

More to come.....hopefully

TheJimReaper    19

Sounds like your off to a good start.

I don't know how much you know about the settings used when slicing the models, but I'll give you some pointers which will hopefully help.

What slicer are you using?  If I remember correctly the Colido comes with Cura 14. something?  There's now an update for that to Cura 15.04.  There's also a different version of Cura which is Cura 3.0.2. I don't know why there's 2 versions as they're both free and both by Ultimaker!

As far as slicers go there's Cura 15.04, Cura 3.0.2, Slic3r, and RepeteirHost which are free. Then there is Simplify3D which is £113. There are others, but these are the top ones.

For slicing Cura 15, Slic3r and RepetierHost I would say are adequate when you first start out. However both Cura 15 and RepetierHost give you better control of the printer itself than the others.  Cura 3.0.2 is more advanced, it gives you a lot more control over how the model is sliced.  Then you have Simplify3D which is slightly more advanced again with a better user interface. I've use Cura 15 for when I need to control the printer when connected via usb, this allows me to move the bed and nozzle, heat either or the bed and nozzle.  I can also send various commands which controls certain things whilst it's printing.  And then I use Simplify 3D as I get a lot more control over how the models are sliced and I can alter the gcode if I need to.

I would suggest printing from the sd card, for the simple reason that if your computer goes down for any reason your printer will carry on, but as the Colido doesn't have a screen I'm not sure how that would work! Unless you start the print from your computer and then disconnect?

Anything more than a 45° - 50° angle usually require supports.   I say usually because on some printers you can bridge a gap, so you can go to a 90° angle without supports.  I don't know how good the Colido will be at bridging, it's not something I tried.  It also depends heavily on what cooling fans you have and how the airflow is directed.  

Stringing happens when the nozzle moves from one point to another without printing in between.   If you don't retract the filament enough you get strings between the two parts, but if you retract to much it can miss a bit when it starts printing again.  I've got mine set at retraction 7.5mm at a speed of 1800mm/min and with that I have no problems.

Prints lifting off the bed and moving is down to bed adhesion. I used cheap hairspray when I was using the Colido, but glue sticks also help.  I'm currently using PEI, it's amazing stuff.  I got 2 300 x 300 sheets for £25, it sounds expensive!, but I've only used 1 sheets so far and have done around 75+ prints on it and it's still going strong. You can even dig a scraper in to it with out affecting it's performance.  All you have to do is wipe it over with nail polish remover every couple of prints!  With the size of the Colido's bed you should get a few pieces out of 1 piece.  The only problem I see is I don't know how well it will work on a none heated bed!

Hope this helps.

Have fun over the weekend.

Jim

• Like 1

Simmy    53
  • Topic Author
  • Amazing info thanks Jim. I heard that people put some masking tape on the bed for better adhesion. There was also a top to raise the extruded temp to 200. 

TheJimReaper    19

For the Colido bed you should have masking tape on first, then either the glue stick or hairspray.  If I didn't have a heated bed I'd need to use it as well!  The PEI gives an amazing finish to the first layer.  It's almost like mirror like, so smooth and shinny!

The nozzle temp varies for what your using.  For pla anything between 195 - 220 is good.  I have mine set at 210 with a bed temp of 60.  I've stuck to PLA for the time being, but will be trying flexible pla, wood, nylon and petg when they arrive.  If you want to try abs, you'll want to try it in the shed or garage!!  It smells whilst it's printing, and it's not very nice, it can stink the house out.

You mentioned earlier about making a cookie cutter.  Just something to be weary of although a lot of people use pla for them, pla isn't the best material and it's not dishwasher safe, it will warp!!

You also have to consider the layer size as food particles can get stuck between the layers, which will then lead to other problems!

Simmy    53
  • Topic Author
  • Ok, will look into the cutter. You mentioned extra support being required earlier. Should I model easy to remove support where I think it's needed or should the print software recognise where it's needed and built it automatically? 

TheJimReaper    19

You can add them in manually and I would have thought you could even do that in c4d.  For this I would suggest leaving 0.05mm of a cap between the support and your model and try and make them as small as possible without it affecting the integrity of the model.  I've always used the slicers settings to add the supports, so if your going to do them manually I'd also suggest watching some youtube videos on it.

Simplify3d has the option to either manual add supports or automatically add them, and there's a couple of different sorts.

You could do a couple of tests in different slicers before actually printing anything.  After the slicer has sliced the model you get to see what it will look like when it comes off the printer so you can judge how easy they're going to be to remove.

It's a bit hit and miss, some slicers add far to many, others don't add enough!  If your not ready to purchase simplify3d, then download all the free ones and slice the same model in each of them with the same settings.  And try different support settings as well, that can make a difference.

If you haven't got them already, I'd suggest getting some sandpaper, sharp craft knife, scrapper, wire snips or scissors, and tweezers.  A dremel works well too.  They'll all help no end when removing prints from the bed and the supports, and cleaning it up afterwards.