Cinema 4D Plugins

Sircharles    1

Hey, guys/gals.. considering getting a new macbook pro 15"

I think this topic is relevant every now and again as there are so much changes going on all the time.

New render engines/new macbook specs/ New iMacs coming out etc.

I'll prob be doing mostly 3d work but love the apple user interface, and a macbook I hope will plug into my existing cinema display 27inch led,

I may look at maya as well or octane for cinema.

Let battle commence,,,

Graham

Sreckom    11

How are you going to use Octane with AMD card? As far as I know new MBP comes only with AMD cards.

Sircharles    1
  • Topic Author
  • Good point. yes they seem to be AMD radeon cards - that general c4d render engine is happy with, 

I may be freelancing with it so After Effects will be used often,

I don't know its hard to get a computer that does it all!

nerv    278

Honestly, as much as I used to prefer OSX, once I started focusing on 3D, it became clear to me I was going to have to switch over to windows. 

Not because of the OS but because of the hardware. Apple simply does not make pro hardware anymore. Their computers are overpriced and underspec’d in pretty much every way. 

I eventually built a very fast, main 3D PC for the price of a mediocre Mac. And windows doesn’t bother me as much anymore. All the adobe stuff works just fine on windows too. 

If you need mobility, there are a handful of great PC offerings. Razer makes the most “Mac-like” PC laptops. 

All that said, I get it. It’s hard to switch. If you are hard set on a Mac, just go for it.  But just be aware of the limitations you’ll be running into. 

Good luck! 

• Like 3

Sircharles    1
  • Topic Author
  • Yes I think a base machine in a house say, a Pc would be good solely for 3d.

But I need it to do everything, design, etc..

I have a good (well was good) cinema display mini dv port - which I'm hoping I can plug into.

everfresh    174

you also have the option to run an external e-gpu enclosure with the new mbp via thunderbolt. but you are limited to one card, so you should put a fast one in there. not an ideal solution, but it works for me, at least for now. as @nerv stated, currently apple doesn't provide any convenient solution for professionals in the CG field. and i honestly doubt that will change in the near future. so i've decided not to wait for an overpriced wonder anymore and to build a hackintosh instead and then sell my darth vader bin. I´ve been using macs for 20 years now, and unfortunately i get a serious rash even looking at windows, so building a windows machine is not an option for me. i've heard more and more good things about hackintoshes lately, most people seem to be pretty happy with their builds.

• Like 1

spiralstair    30
    1 hour ago, nerv said:

windows doesn’t bother me as much anymore

Amen - the greatest success of Apple was the 'think different' campaign in the '90's which brainwashed a generation into thinking that windows was ugly. Seems like the best way to actually think different now is to do what @nerv says. 

• Like 2

Sreckom    11

Yeah, I was in same boat. 15 years Apple user, now have one Hackintosh and WIndows workstation,  and 2 laptops one Linux and one Windows.  I had 2015 MBP with Nvida sold it and  purchased DellXPS 4k, love it. But I would not call them workstations, after using Asus RoG with 980.... Day and night. And one reason I sold MBP is cause I could not have more than 16GB RAM, and for AE that was not enough, at least for my work. So yeah MBP is nice but not for 3D, especailly if you consider amount of $ you need to invest.

• Like 1

I have a studio full of Macs, from Mac Pros, iMacs and MBPs but I recently bought a PC solely for 3D work and wouldn't recommend anything else. Most of my Mac software is cross platform works exactly the same on the PC so it's a doddle get up and running.

While I prefer MacOS to Windows 10 I absolutely prefer the PC hardware for 3D work over any Apple hardware, the bang for buck and shear choice of components heavily favour the PC and that make for sense to me from a business point of view. To Microsoft's credit Windows 10 is a pleasant experience now and it's just not the deal breaker it used to be. I thought I was going to hate it but I don't.

There are plenty of Windows laptops with fantastic styling and specifications at price that will leave you extra cash for eGPUs that will be important when you discover Redshift. Once you discover Redshift you'll be kicking yourself you didn't get a PC laptop with a decent nVidia GPU in it and eGPU. You are wasting your time and money running Arnold on a laptop especially a Mac laptop. I wouldn't do rendering  on a MacBook Pro or an iMac I just don't think the cooling is up to dealing with extended periods of full CPU load.

I must admit I've become a bit disenchanted with Apple, the Pro level computers are a joke and now ridiculously priced and there's no Mac Pro worth buying. I'll certainly be replacing all our Macs with PCs when they come to their EOL and if someone had said that to me a couple of years ago I would've said they were mad.

When I go to a coffee shop every Tom, Dick and twat has a MacBook so I think whipping out a decent PC laptop would be a statement of rebellion against the sheep mentality.

Zmotive    57

I would not buy a MacBook Pro if your objective is efficiency with 3D workflows. If you need a laptop probably the high-end Razer (PC) laptop or similar is going to be a better bet for you. I think Mario from Insydium was using a Razer laptop for his recent C4D / XP demonstration. Should run AE efficiently as well. And really the latest version of Windows 10 is a pretty friendly system / has an OK UI. Not nearly as bad as Windows 8 or versions prior to 7.

MacBook Pros are overhyped and overpriced for this kind of work. They do OK with Final Cut workflows and stuff Apple controls, and they do OK with Adobe workflows that don't involve After Effects or huge Illustrator files, but otherwise not the right choice. You can max out the specs and still end up with a fairly mediocre level of performance.

If you need something now (and not a few months from now for example) either get a high end PC laptop for designers or build a PC desktop.

nerv    278

OS X still wins out on anything audio / music-making related. That was my primary reason for going Mac roughly 12 years ago, and I feel like it still applies.  Windows is not as horrible at it anymore but it’s still lagging. 

Once my focus shifted to visual work, however, it was hard to ignore the performance benefits a well-specd PC provided.