4 hours ago, nerv said:

OS X still wins out on anything audio / music-making related. That was my primary reason for going Mac roughly 12 years ago, and I feel like it still applies.  Windows is not as horrible at it anymore but it’s still lagging. 

Once my focus shifted to visual work, however, it was hard to ignore the performance benefits a well-specd PC provided. 

That's a good point Windows is light years behind MacOS for audio you take for granted how well midi is covered in MacOS.

---

On the Hackintosh front, I personally, would steer well clear for professional use. I know there are examples online where people have seemingly got a great deal on hardware, they have MacOS running and there appears to be a match made in heaven. However, if you search through the forums of OSX86 and Netkas etc you find that the overwhelming experience is of an extremely subpar MacOS experience fraught with audio issues and niggling incompatibilities. For a computer you're using for generating income it's surely better to have a reliable and supported Windows experience than a poor MacOS experience. There's always the worry Apple could clamp down on Hackintoshes and render a lot of your operating system useless with a silently pushed update.

I cannot wait to see just how ridiculous the pricing of the iMac Pro is when it is released later this year (if it arrives that is...). $5k for the base model is already in stupid territory when you can build a Threadripper based system with dual 1080Tis for much less and be set for CPU and GPU rendering for the next couple of years. I know a few friends in the business have been holding on to their upgraded 2010 Mac Pros to see if Apple will come through for them but come mid December I expect a few calls asking for the details of the PC I have... I do understand why they held out for so long, so did I but the release of Ryzen and Threadripper completely changed the landscape and made the PC a no brainer.

Noise is another consideration, our PC is all water cooled and sits there quietly and only gets slightly louder when on full load for an extended period, it is in fact much quieter than the iMac on my desk when it is on full load. I dread to think how loud that iMac Pro is going to be with a much higher TDW CPU and GPU it could be unusably noisy in a quiet office like mine.

Stupid doesn't begin to describe the cost-benefit analysis of the iMac Pro. Easily the biggest ripoff Apple has ever offered, including the trash can. That's assuming they keep the $5K base tag. Normally they don't announce pricing many months in advance of a launch so it's possible they were seeing the reaction / what they could get away with. But if it's anything close to that as a base price. Awful. There's no other word for it.

Well I went ahead and bought a 2nd hand 2016 high spec MacBook Pro 15" (Face in hands)!

I know, but I do like it so far.

Will let you know how it handles renders once I've got the necessary cracked software running, cough, hmm, I mean legit software.

Graham

Will install Ae CC 2015, Ai, PS, etc

Cinema R17 or maybe R18

Autodesk maya 2016

9 minutes ago, Sircharles said:

Well I went ahead and bought a 2nd hand 2016 high spec MacBook Pro 15" (Face in hands)!

I know, but I do like it so far.

Will let you know how it handles renders once I've got the necessary cracked software running, cough, hmm, I mean legit software.

Graham

Will install Ae CC 2015, Ai, PS, etc

Cinema R17 or maybe R18

Autodesk maya 2016

If you are using cracked software you should be ashamed of yourself. There's simply no excuse with amazing free software like Blender and cheap alternatives to AE and PS.

Frankly, I hope you get some malware.

16 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Stupid doesn't begin to describe the cost-benefit analysis of the iMac Pro. Easily the biggest ripoff Apple has ever offered, including the trash can. That's assuming they keep the $5K base tag. Normally they don't announce pricing many months in advance of a launch so it's possible they were seeing the reaction / what they could get away with. But if it's anything close to that as a base price. Awful. There's no other word for it.

I/we use iMacs for editing with FCPX and they are fantastic, there's nothing that comes close to the performance that Apple gets out of their own APIs. I can edit UHD XAVC-I from our Sony cameras like it's HD. FCPX only starts dropping frames with the 5th stream of UHD which is more than I'd ever use in a normal production anyway 3 streams of UHD is typical from a crossfade and an overlay. So a 2015 iMac is already more powerful than I need for 4k editing so I don't see editors rushing to buy this iMac Pro. In fact, I struggle to find a user group that this iMac Pro is aimed at. I don't think 3D artists are going to be drawn towards this machine for the reasons stated in previous posts, photoshop and illustrator can easily be done on a standard iMac. Subsequent iMacs will soon match the iMac Pro in a year unless Apple decides to cripple them.

So what is the target market for the iMac Pro? Apple are making a big deal about it having Xeon processors which is quite hilarious because it's the QuickSync features on i7 CPUs that accelerates h264 editing and provides such a performance boost which is lacking on Xeons. Most midrange Professional cameras record to a flavour of h264 so this could be fun to watch the rollout of the iMac Pro in NLE circles.

So who's left? Anyone wanting a highly multicore CPU would surely prefer a workstation and the ability to upgrade the GPU over the life of the product. So I can't think of any group that would say, yep, that iMac Pro is exactly what I want.

7 hours ago, Cutman said:

If you are using cracked software you should be ashamed of yourself. There's simply no excuse with amazing free software like Blender and cheap alternatives to AE and PS.

Frankly, I hope you get some malware.

Get over yourself will ya, half the community on here will have cracked software.

Its how you learn the tools to the indiustry.

We use them in the workplace then on paid for workstations/software.

Hoo boy.  Amateur hour.  

5 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

@IgorI i feel a ban coming on in my trigger finger

Yes me too.

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Yes me too.

Times like these i wish i had Admin Privileges 

16 hours ago, Cutman said:

I/we use iMacs for editing with FCPX and they are fantastic, there's nothing that comes close to the performance that Apple gets out of their own APIs. ...

FCPX itself has become pretty much a niche product, hasn't it? Didn't they lose a lot of customers during that year or so right after FCPX came out with their over-simplified UI and missing features (several of which I think have been brought back)? That's always the performance calling card for Mac "pro" hardware, though — look how great it is with Final Cut, with Logic, etc. Certainly that's all true and valid. That type of setup is basically a closed system. But the iMac Pro is something else, a first for Apple, really. They've created the illusion of a pro machine to appease a group of people who are ready to jump ship and were never iMac customers to begin with, by adding a Vega card and Xeon processor, basically. Oh and making it black. lol

My only point is, any way you slice it... any apps you're using, any platform method you choose (Mac, Hackintosh, PC)... the cost-benefit, the value you're getting for that $5K is terrible. I mean they've never done anything like this before; even the trashcan as originally envisioned had some merits this machine doesn't. Not saying it will perform poorly. It will be a decent computer. I'm saying no rational person should pay $5K or possibly much more, for that level of performance (and built-in obsolesence).

Like you said, "who is it for"? The only answer I can surmise is: really gullible people with 5K burning a hole in their pocket, and vanity computing people. "Look at my awesome iMac Pro on this new $6000 hardwood desk we just purchased. You should see how fast it emails people. Honey, come show him how fast it emails and loads YouTubes... he won't believe it."  lol

But seriously, look at the standard possibilities:

A) Closed ecosystem users like Logic and Final Cut? Just as well-off with a decked out 2017 iMac (like you say) and it will still be less money.

B) 3D / VFX? Inarguably you're better off going PC or Hackintosh; $5K would buy you a tremendously powerful machine. Performance-wise, long-term-value-wise, the iMac "pro" would lose on all counts. The only downside is those other methods are not plug-and-play out of the box but nobody in forums like this care about that. We're all savvy people who can spend and hour or two setting up a computer if we have to and not break a sweat.

C) Trash Can users? Why in God's name would we? We waited this long fer chrissakes... so we wait an extra six months and get the computer we actually want or get a Hackintosh / PC now if we can't wait (or get one then if the new Mac Pro disappoints).

Honestly, beyond gullibility and vanity I cannot find a single reason to buy one. Will be interesting to see how people react. I know one company I work with regularly will buy one — they buy every Mac that comes out to test with their product — but I don't know anyone personally who's even considering it.

4 hours ago, Zmotive said:

FCPX itself has become pretty much a niche product, hasn't it? Didn't they lose a lot of customers during that year or so right after FCPX came out with their over-simplified UI and missing features (several of which I think have been brought back)? That's always the performance calling card for Mac "pro" hardware, though — look how great it is with Final Cut, with Logic, etc. Certainly that's all true and valid. That type of setup is basically a closed system. But the iMac Pro is something else, a first for Apple, really. They've created the illusion of a pro machine to appease a group of people who are ready to jump ship and were never iMac customers to begin with, by adding a Vega card and Xeon processor, basically. Oh and making it black. lol

FCPX has over 2 million users and it's used in places that other NLEs have never been able to penetrate i.e in corporate communications where media creation has become a role performed by non techy people. FCPX is by far the most high performance and best editing experience of any NLE and the fact it is shunned by Film and TV is a reflection of those backward industries not FCPX. FCPX is a shining light at Apple, it's what the old Jobsian Apple was good at, thinking radically different and having the balls to buck the trend. I don't think FCPX would be released under this new management they're more like accountants than risk takers and original thinkers. FCPX is the only thing that will keep me buying at least one Apple computer....but not an iMac Pro!