On 11/21/2017 at 3:05 AM, Cutman said:

FCPX has over 2 million users and it's used in places that other NLEs have never been able to penetrate i.e in corporate communications where media creation has become a role performed by non techy people. FCPX is by far the most high performance and best editing experience of any NLE and the fact it is shunned by Film and TV is a reflection of those backward industries not FCPX. FCPX is a shining light at Apple, it's what the old Jobsian Apple was good at, thinking radically different and having the balls to buck the trend. I don't think FCPX would be released under this new management they're more like accountants than risk takers and original thinkers. FCPX is the only thing that will keep me buying at least one Apple computer....but not an iMac Pro!

haha 
Fair enough! I honestly haven't used it in quite a while. But it's good that they've continued to develop and refine it (and retain customers in the process). And tie it to hardware in a way other apps aren't — certainly improves the longevity of any recent iMac, MacBook Pro or even trashcan (?) people have purchased in recent years.

On 22/11/2017 at 6:54 PM, Zmotive said:

haha 
Fair enough! I honestly haven't used it in quite a while. But it's good that they've continued to develop and refine it (and retain customers in the process). And tie it to hardware in a way other apps aren't — certainly improves the longevity of any recent iMac, MacBook Pro or even trashcan (?) people have purchased in recent years.

Apple's investment in their Core APIs which are highly multithreaded and utilise Metal for compute really make relatively modest hardware outperform much higher end kit. My 2015 iMac running FCPX would run rings around the much more powerful PC we have running Premiere Pro especially for realtime playback of media and export.

But the really big advantage that FCPX gives the editor is the media management and the ability to deal with hours of rushes. On a 2-3 day shoot I may bring back 15-20 hours of footage for something as short as a 5 minute promo even more for a 10 minute brand film. Gone are the days where shooting ratios are in the single digits and I dread to think how I'd cope digesting all that footage and making sure I had got all the best most relevant clips into the production with Avid. With FCPX it's a breeze to find the proverbial needle in the haystack which frees you up to just concentrate on the creative side of editing.

If you're interested here's one of the few film editors who uses FCPX talking about its strengths. It's an interesting talk about editing a film even if you aren't the slightest bit interested in FCPX.