Cerbera    1,274

Hey Cafe

I guess there'll be a few trek-heads here, and I'm definitely one of them. Whilst I'm not a great fan of what they're doing in Star Trek Discovery at the moment, I am enjoying Seth Macfarlane's rival space saga 'The Orville' on Fox considerably more. It was only a matter of time before I felt the need to model that ship, but apparently I am one of the first to do so, because there is real lack of decent reference images and blueprints, so I have been furiously screencapping the episodes until I had enough to work with.

So here we are, near the end of stage one, when I am less fussed about immaculate topology than I am finding the basic shape, although I am at least all-quads.  

5a1f8da3e1de1_TheOrville0603-4.thumb.jpg.c34262c7b87763c6adf3e0831cdc9c24.jpg 5a1f8db35cf95_TheOrville060side.thumb.jpg.447b89fa01fb191f6f909040deb65a1f.jpg 5a1f8f2d25ee9_TheOrville060Bridge.thumb.jpg.ad1a91655ce07902677fec16715bb422.jpg

5a1f8daed9823_TheOrville060Front.thumb.jpg.9251d32fc07ba0fecf5181d9f0db33ce.jpg 5a1f8dbaa6fed_TheOrville060Underside.thumb.jpg.ef904eae21054591d386c8e93a7d719a.jpg

There's still a lot of tweaking to be done to get even the main shape perfect, but I thought I'd post a fairly early stage so I can share how it changes as it develops. There's some pretty challenging panelling to be cut in everywhere, so that'll be next, after I've built the main center section and major armour plating panels. I'm trying to do alot of it with OpenSubDiv, but it remains disappointing that I still have to limit this to sections I can texture with standard projection, because it still doesn't work with UV's in R19.

Hopefully I'll be taking this all the way to photo-real render, but as I'm fitting it in around other work it may take a little while...

CBR

• Like 7

ABMotion    118

Awesome work already, and as I see you preach here, really clean geometry everywhere...nice!

Have you had a chance or interest in modeling with the MAXON Coons Mesh generator for modeling yet?

• Namaste 1

Cerbera    1,274
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks AB. I have got the coons mesh and all the lab stuff, but haven't been using it here so far - but you're right - it could be ideal for this sort of thing.

When I've nailed the form I may well go back and retopo it before doing the paneling, and will have a decent chance to try it then.

CBR

DanLSK    39

I was never into Star Trek, but Wife and I watch first few episodes of The Orville the other night and actually liked it.

Ship is shaping in nicely, stellar work as always. 

• Like 1

Pretty cool! I'm a real trekkie but I've never heard of Orville. Need to check that out I guess. Will you createa scene for the ship to be put in ?

Edit: nevermind, lost interest when I read comedy series on google. I'llstick with Discovery :)

Cerbera    1,274
  • Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Edit: nevermind, lost interest when I read comedy series on google. I'llstick with Discovery :)

Nope - not a comedy, though it is much more self-aware and light-hearted than proper ST, and there are some jokes early on. For me it feels far more like 'real' Star trek (TNG, Voyager etc) than Discovery does !

14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Nope - not a comedy, though it is much more self-aware and light-hearted than proper ST, and there are some jokes early on. For me it feels far more like 'real' Star trek (TNG, Voyager etc) than Discovery does !

You're right! I so hate comedies and when I saw it written on IMDB I thought nevermind but after watching the trailer I got really excited to watch it. Unfortunately FOX The Netherlands does not broadcast it yet. Ah well perhaps in 2 years like usual :(

Cerbera    1,274
  • Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, PrivatePolygon said:

Ah well perhaps in 2 years like usual :(

I think you'll enjoy it when it gets there. Fox don't seem to know what a good thing they've got, so aren't promoting it properly yet, hence lack of rollout and rubbish reference availability - hopefully they'll sort that out and get it everywhere !

CBR

VECTOR    393

do they not have an online streaming service?

14 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

do they not have an online streaming service?

They do have an app for tablet but it wasn't available in my country. And if it were, you won't be able to watch the first 2 episodes. Probably broadcasted too long ago.

VECTOR    393

you can stream online on their website, maybe try using a vpn ? what we used to use with netflix, before they made it more difficult, it cost me 10 pounds a month and the uk service really sucks in comparison to the us selection.

lopakam    41

Wow, I thought I was the only one that liked this show!  The SciFi writing is very good, and the humor fits in nicely.  It's old school Star Trek with modern/edgy humor.  

Your modeling is great, I would have a hard time doing that without any good reference.  Amazing, really.  I read that they film most scenes of the Orville from a model, and not CG, more old school.

Your work is always very good and I'm excited to follow this!

Mark

• Namaste 1