Fastbee

Houdini 16.5 looks amazing

Fastbee    54

Houdini 16.5 looked so good I had to share.  I'm really interested in what C4D users who also use Houdini think of Houdini.  Any areas where Houdini shines over C4D and any areas C4D shines over Houdini.

https://www.sidefx.com/products/whats-new-165/

Cerbera    1,274

This has been discussed at great length in various other threads, so I'll summarize...

Houdini is amazing and outshines Cinema in pretty much all the VFX areas. And Houdini Indie is possibly the best value VFX software of all time. But for me at least, Cinema wins hands down for non-procedural modelling and general simplicity / ease-of-use, and for that reason I think the 2 apps work well together rather than being in direct competition. Sometimes you don't need bells and whistles and smoke and fire and you just want to model something, and Cinema remains where I'll be going for that :)

CBR

Greatszalam    77

Yeah, what he said.

The simplicity and ease of use makes C4D super-useful for motion graphics stuff.

There's motion graphics and there's motion graphics...

The aspirational end of mograph aimed at an increasingly sophisticated audience is moving forward faster than MAXON is providing features and performance.

luchifer    34
5 hours ago, Cutman said:

There's motion graphics and there's motion graphics...

The aspirational end of mograph aimed at an increasingly sophisticated audience is moving forward faster than MAXON is providing features and performance.

Sounds as if you believe Mario Tran Phuc or Beeple dont do 'real' motion graphics.

Anyway, I dont see Houdini or C4D. I see artists behind those videos. Really great artists. Also, thanks for the videos, what I love about C4D, is that I can see those videos, and not only be amazed by them, or share them to friends or among peers, I love C4D because everytime I see a pretty cool video, I just KNOW how to do many of those effects with C4D -at least almost all from video 3 and some from video 1 are doable by anyone- because xparticles and Realflow 2.0 (for water and softbodies) are really easy to play, use and learn, and I don't need a team of artists behind me or a ton of knowledge to achieve mi heart's desire, and, XP4 seems to be following the ease of use from XP3 with more tools to play with.

I hope you also know how to do those sophisticated effects in Houdini as well

Kind regards.

p.s. if I remember correctly, Christopher Nolan also didnt believe Okja was a 'real' movie.

luchifer    34

One more thing, maybe this guy isn't an artist because he used legos instead of clay.. like, you know, the real artists do. He/she/they seems to know how to join those bricks , right?

art-of-the-brick-yellow.jpg

nerv    278

It’s like that kid who just got his first nikes and is suddenly yelling at all the other kids wearing adidas or reeboks that they’ll never run as fast or jump as high as he can.

• Like 1

Fastbee    54
  • Topic Author
  • Insulting does nothing for education, but if you must insult than please insult a specific feature of a program.  If you prefer one over the other show it or explain feature by feature why it's better.  Great things can be done with both programs.  There is no need for insults because are all striving to do our best.

From my very little use of Houdini I will say Houdini has a different way of modeling things.  It's like each and every step you take toward modeling something is a big step.  In C4D it's fast to execute tons of commands via keyboard shortcuts and think nothing of it.  On the other side Houdini 16.5 got the new soft selection that looks way better than the mess of a soft selection C4D has.  It can be so cumbersome to use C4D's soft selection I often find myself preferring using C4D's sculpting tools on non sculpting meshes in C4D.  I guess that is the good thing though because the sculpting tools can be used like that.  Having something like NitroFallOff without the need to buy a plugin would also be nice, but that is another subject.

I've heard very little on the character animation tools in Houdini.  If anyone knows would care to share how character animation in Houdini compares to C4D that would be great.

4 hours ago, luchifer said:

Sounds as if you believe Mario Tran Phuc or Beeple dont do 'real' motion graphics.

What is very obvious from your reply Luis is you clearly have chosen to interpret what I wrote incorrectly or simply indulge yourself with a straw man attack. Which is it, you're not too bright or just being malicious?

@luchifer  you've seen a Houdini thread and like a moth to a flame the easily offended and the perpetually butt hurt are drawn to it to, amirite?

I knew this thread would get the natives restless which is why I answered Fastbee in a PM. Look where the slavish support, sycophancy of C4D and the defence of mediocrity has got you, if it weren't for @INSYDIUMwhere the heck would C4D be in the market? They have flattered C4D for the last few years and you should ALL buy XP4 even if you don't use it as a massive thanks for keeping C4D relevant because MAXON certainly haven't. Strip out XP and a few other notable Nitroman plugins and take a cold hard look at C4D Studio and compare that with the other contemporary DCCs. 'Yeah but R20 is blah blah', right?

You know very well I didn't say MTP or Beeple don't do 'real' motion graphics you chose take offence at what I wrote and deflect it in a straw man because I somehow triggered your 'defend C4D at all costs' response because deep down you know C4D is thread bare without the likes of Insydium and Nitroman patching it up.

For the avoidance of doubt I do know how to create generative growth structures with Loops, VOPs and the SOPSolver in Houdini that's precisely why I began learning it because I lost faith that MAXON would ever bring this level of functionality to C4D and I didn't want to learn Python or C4D plugin development. Once again Insydium ride to the rescue and have included some growth like tools in XP4. Insydium's C4D is looking quite good.

@nerv I thought better of you but cheers anyway.

Give my regards to Clothilde.

everfresh    174

guys... really? no need to take anything personal here. everyone here is right to a certain extend, at least that's how i see it. i don't think anyone doubts that houdini exceeds c4d in most areas. but it's always about which workflow is for you, some click with houdini, some don't. for some c4d provides enough functionality, for some obviously not. for the work i do and for my personal projects for instance c4d (in combo with xp and a few other plugins) is just right. sure it would be nice if we had this or that functionality in c4d houdini provides, but that also goes the other way around, maybe not to the same extend, but it does. i addition i think no one here is really really happy with the pace of c4ds development. this makes the arguing even more pointless. we all seem to agree on most aspects anyways. so i really don't get why threads like this have to derail all the time. cheers.

1 hour ago, Cutman said:

What is very obvious from your reply Luis is you clearly have chosen to interpret what I wrote incorrectly or simply indulge yourself with a straw man attack. Which is it, you're not too bright or just being malicious?

@luchifer  you've seen a Houdini thread and like a moth to a flame the easily offended and the perpetually butt hurt are drawn to it to, amirite?

I knew this thread would get the natives restless which is why I answered Fastbee in a PM. Look where the slavish support, sycophancy of C4D and the defence of mediocrity has got you, if it weren't for @INSYDIUMwhere the heck would C4D be in the market? They have flattered C4D for the last few years and you should ALL buy XP4 even if you don't use it as a massive thanks for keeping C4D relevant because MAXON certainly haven't. Strip out XP and a few other notable Nitroman plugins and take a cold hard look at C4D Studio and compare that with the other contemporary DCCs. 'Yeah but R20 is blah blah', right?

You know very well I didn't say MTP or Beeple don't do 'real' motion graphics you chose take offence at what I wrote and deflect it in a straw man because I somehow triggered your 'defend C4D at all costs' response because deep down you know C4D is thread bare without the likes of Insydium and Nitroman patching it up.

For the avoidance of doubt I do know how to create generative growth structures with Loops, VOPs and the SOPSolver in Houdini that's precisely why I began learning it because I lost faith that MAXON would ever bring this level of functionality to C4D and I didn't want to learn Python or C4D plugin development. Once again Insydium ride to the rescue and have included some growth like tools in XP4. Insydium's C4D is looking quite good.

@nerv I thought better of you but cheers anyway.

Give my regards to Clothilde.

Fair enough man but at the same time your comment "There's motion graphics and there's motion graphics... " is making a value judgement, not about the tools but about work created with Houdini vs other motion graphics. Now for sure Houdini is the way to go for advanced, organic, procedural kind of animations. Whether those are better than other kinds of motion graphics is totally subjective. One person may prefer a hand-drawn cel-shaded look to some abstract procedurally generated crystal-cauliflower that goes on for two and a half minutes ;)

Personally I like something like this a lot too:

It is to me not any more or less " motion graphics" than the Houdini stuff. Just different.

I think most people here are well aware of C4D's shortcomings, esp considering it's price.

Ease of use and accessibility continue to speak for C4D, but up to a point of course.

I do feel your comment about "making the natives restless" is needlessly denigrating to people on this forum. As if everyone here is a hopeless, "slavish" MAXON apologetic. And then you complain about people  being "easily offended". Yeah right, maybe you can take some responsibility for how you are presenting your own argument too.  I guess you don't consider yourself a native anymore now that you've switched to Houdini (which you reported on extensively already in your own thread). Which if fine, but there's really no need for making this an "us vs them" situation.

To be clear: I'm totally fine with you are anyone else singing the praises of Houdini and criticizing MAXON. But there's no need for the personal attacks on the users.

Peace :)

• Like 1

VECTOR    393

If this keeps happening threads like this are just going to be locked. There's nothing wrong with healthy debate or comparing features from one software to another, but constantly these topics are just becoming bashing threads for personal insults. @Cutman we're all very aware of your disappointment and frustrations with MAXON and Cinema4D, and while you have made some very valid points to illustrate why you feel that way, your attitude  towards members, and the way you present your opinions are clearly going to rub some people up the wrong way.

We are 3D ARTIST, after all, so we should be embracing all the tools and softwares available, that as artist allow us to do and create the things we want, not bashing people because they choose to support a software package that you yourself no longer favour, and should not be made to feel less worthy because of it, You've been giving off a very negative vibe around here for a while now, and no matter how valid your reasons are you need to take responsibility for your actions, this is a C4D community after all, and if you no longer see yourself as a part of that, then that's perfectly fine, but you should respect the people that are, no matter what your personal opinions and feelings towards MAXON and C4D.

That's not to say you can't express your opinion, as a community we respect the views and opinions of our members, just maybe you could do it in a way that's not so hostile.

V