asaul

Selection question

asaul    1
  • Topic Author
  • Hmm unfortunately, restarting the comp also hasnt fixed the problem. I'll probably just start again in a new window, hopefully it won't act up again. Sincere thanks for you continued help :)

Cerbera    1,274

Actually on looking a bit further, I do have to say this is a bit of a mad hierarchy you've got going on there. Whilst I can d-click pretty much everything, I do concede that the double click doesn't work absolutely everywhere, presumably because you have objects under cloners under nulls, under symmetry, under more objects and more nulls etc etc, and the double-click functionality is only supposed to take you down one level really. I can't blame it for struggling. I would say, in conclusion, that when you have a hierarchy as convoluted as this one, just use the Object manager to select stuff for the bits it is impossible to select in the viewport. I am becoming increasingly sure there is no other way.

CBR

ABMotion    118

As @Cerbera said, it's probably how you'e set up your scene with complicated hierarchies, but it still shouldn't really select like that. Could be worth forwarding the file to MAXON Support.

There are some parts that do select strangely. See this one for instance. Double-click gives me the selection as seen in this screenshot:

Odd-Selection.thumb.png.b886d720f3aa5d9ff3c78ac7a84aa96c.png

asaul    1
  • Topic Author
  • I see- I'll definitely try cleaning up the hierarchy, and if it continues to be buggy I'll consider going to MAXON with the issue. Thank you both, I appreciate it! :)

• Namaste 1

Vizn    42

I didn't know about the double-click function, however the only behavior I have ever experienced since picking up C4D almost 2 years ago has been single-click in viewport selects the child, not the parent. I just tested this with multiple cubes each in a null, then all of those under another null. Cube gets selected every time. This might be due to the fact that I don't use Object mode and only use Model mode. I don't really know the difference to be honest, so I'm not sure if this is part of the issue as I've not come to find the need to switch between the two.