How Does Autodesk Cinema 4D Sound?

...or even Adobe Cinema 4D?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-01/nemetschek-is-said-to-explore-sale-of-james-bond-s-3-d-software

Now we know why the MAXON Blog has fallen completely silent. Very common practice to stop corporate comms when trying to sell an asset.

No smoke without fire etc etc. A story like this isn't just invented there has probably been feelers sent out to test the market if not a formal approach.

Adobe would be the obvious port of call but Nemetswhatsit probably over value MAXON's IP so it's going to be a question of how much they really want to get shot of it. We know MAXON has taken on more developers and have spent some time, several years, rewriting the core of C4D this is 'investment' which Nemetswhatsit will be looking for a return on. Parent companies are looking for growth so how much has the C4D user base grown as a result of the 'investment'? If Nemetswhatsit are really looking to offload then the growth is beginning to plateau or already has done or not projected to meet the required targets.

Always advisable to have a foot in another camp....

grain    107

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

One thing is for sure: I really wish I bought some Nemetschek stock a couple of year ago. :ohmy:
Almost 10x value increase in 5 years.

stock.JPG

Cerbera    1,271

That would also be the sound of me of defecting to Modo, Houdini or Blender ;) I will never take part in Autodesk's monthly rental scam scheme. 

CBR

• Like 2

PBarrelas    8

I’m already learning Houdini! If AD puts its hands on it, then I’ll simply speed the learning and will base my pipeline on Houdini!  

• Like 1

BoganTW    5

“No smoke without fire”?  If I had a buck for every bogus story that had appeared this year on different subjects referencing anonymous “people familiar with the matter”, and no other evidence, my money troubles would be happily over.

That said, it’s obviously something that can’t be ruled out.  Nemetschek has denied it, for whatever that’s worth.

The timing of the announcement is weird.  It came out the week of the R19 announcement at Siggraph, just a couple of days after R19 was announced online.  If Nemetschek were ‘exploring’ a possible sale, they would have spent longer than 72 hours doing so.  And then some helpful character decides that regardless of where that process is, or isn’t, the best time to leak the story is just as MAXON are attempting to whip up excitement about R19.  Strange.

Fastbee    54

That news of Nemetschek being sold is sad if true.  I would hope AMD or any company, but Adobe or Autodesk would buy up Nemetschek and really make it better than it ever was before.  I have hope for AMD because they are branching out a little, and due to Prorender getting in C4D, and a video of AMD using Cinebench in a video recently on their threadripper.  If Adobe or Autodesk buys it they will give us a decent welcome package to begin with then sh** on us.  I'm going to have to accelerate how fast I learn Houdini.  Even if Nemetschek is not sold Houdini has some cool tools that will help me work faster.  Houdini's UV, retopo, character rigging and animation tools look amazing.  The more I learn the more they seem to compliment each others weak points.

As for the story being true or not it's really hard to know because companies don't openly advertise I'm up for sale.  Sales of companies happen very secretly.

Zmotive    57

Autodesk: there would be no C4D; they'd cannibalize it and kill it off within one release cycle. At the end they'd offer everyone a "special discount for the first year" of their BS subscription model to keep everyone on board (with Maya or MAX), then after that back to rip-off central.

Adobe: price of subscription would jump to $650-$750 for the suite (good excuse for them to raise it — which is inevitable) and within a couple cycles the quality of the software would start trending down as they added out-of-scope features and unnecessary changes and integrations.

Foundry: same as Autodesk

Black Magic: might work out... might even use their pricing model of $299. That would be pretty great. Not sure if they're big enough to make this kind of buy / absorb a development and QC team the size of MAXON's. 

Can't think of anyone else in the industry with the kind of money and resources required to make that acquisition work, who would also do it right. Worst case would be Facebook or Apple, with the intent of converting it into a purely VR/AR content platform. They'd dumb it down after a couple cycles to fit their respective UI religions and that would be the end of it.

HSrdelic    655

:lol:

Folks, that "news" is debunked already some time ago, Nemetschek denied it back then, not really much to talk about... C4D is growing on every front, business wise it doesn't make any sense also.

@Cutman

You might consider stating facts in your posts, that is usually much better than some fabricated presumptions based on your personal disposition.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 33 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

@Cutman

You might consider stating facts in your posts, that is usually much better than some fabricated presumptions based on your personal disposition.

You first!

A denial is not in anyway shape or form debunking of anything. I'm sure if we all think about it long enough we could cite an example of a company denying it was seeking to acquire a company or sell a division only to go on to do exactly what they denied they were doing some months later.

The story comes right out of left field so it would be a strange story just to be invented. It could be a rumour started by a potential buyer to test the waters to see if there's any interest in a sale too.

As to my disposition, it's perfectly fine thanks and it always pleases me to hear how well C4D sales are doing given that it's generally now considered a host for XParticles and various 3rd party renderers. :lol:

BoganTW    5

That is actually funny, and I’m glad this thread is running over the topic in good spirits.

To be honest it doesn’t make much sense for Nemetschek to sell C4D if it’s a steady earner, but I’m not them and I don’t know why they do the things they do.

I’d also probably be one of the few happy if MAXON announced some joint Adobe partnership where development continued as normal but everyone with an After Effects sub got the full version chucked in with their CC subscription, but that’s just me.

i just noticed the Lynda site has a ton of recent Houdini training by a guy who seems to know what he’s talking about.  I’m going to watch all those then let them ferment in my brain for another year or two before I peek again at what the crazy Houdini guys are up to.  I met a hotshot Houdini / VFX trainer at some Aussie festival gathering a few years back.  His encouraging words to his students when telling them to get working on their reels was basically “Blow something up!  Blow up a building!  Blow up Melbourne!”, which was pretty funny and quite different from the world of lighting an extruded logo or something.