Cinema 4D Plugins

How Does Autodesk Cinema 4D Sound?

Zmotive    57

All things being equal I tend to doubt the veracity of this story, not because it was denied (evidently? anyone have a link?) back in August but because the story itself is very thin on details. Online publications are notorious for posting "might be, could be, we're not sure and you can't disprove it" click-bait when ad revenues are low or other problems. This story, based on timing, length and topic, seems like click-bait to me.

But what Cutman said is true; doesn't matter if MAXON denied anything. Companies lie all the time about acquisitions and mergers. 

That said I wouldn't be totally shocked if it happened. If the parent company feels they're over-diversified and that they stand to make more from a sale than holding onto the company long-term, they'll do it. OR, maybe there's discussions between the parent and MAXON's management where MAXON wants to go a different direction and parent tries to find a suitor.

3DKiwi    321
12 hours ago, Cutman said:

Now we know why the MAXON Blog has fallen completely silent. Very common practice to stop corporate comms when trying to sell an asset.

Very unlikely. The MAXON Blog was introduced after the mediocre R17 to buy MAXON some time until R18 and just beyond. It has served its purpose. I expect R20 to be a significant upgrade i.e. the fast new core, new UV tools, XPresso 2, material node system etc.

Visionnext    71

@3DKiwi - Oh, how I wish you are right! I really love Cinema 4D and invested a lot in plugins and content that I adjusted to it. I'm not eager to change horses soon. I'd love to see Cinema 4D improve further. New core, new UV tools, node system and improvements in character system would be highly welcome.

By the way: Just went through your old BP tutorials again and they are still very helpful.

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Very unlikely. The MAXON Blog was introduced after the mediocre R17 to buy MAXON some time until R18 and just beyond. It has served its purpose. I expect R20 to be a significant upgrade i.e. the fast new core, new UV tools, XPresso 2, material node system etc.

Will R20 be enough to tempt back recent Houdini adoptees or even interest those who are already dipping their toes? I have been surprised by the number of people who have contacted me via PM for info about Houdini so it's clear the mindshare is moving towards Houdini. Will any updated XPresso have the granular controls of Houdini's nodal system? If not then it's not much of an upgrade and certainly won't interest those who have become accustomed to the flexibility of Houdini especially at $200/yr.

Whatever happens to C4D there is one company that will have your back, Insydium. They have more or less single handedly kept C4D in the mindshare of motion graphics artists over the past few years, just look at the sheer number of NAB and SIGGRAPH presentations at the MAXON booth that are effectively XParticles demos. Insydium have their own Mograph system which will get its own nodal system in the future and they have their own renderer so it's not beyond the realms of possibility they could develop a highly focused standalone Mograph application and not be reliant on MAXON.

Back of the fag packet calculations show XP4 is going to make them a shed ton of money in the next few days and I would bet the very smart individuals at Insydium put a lot of it to good use. They have amassed a huge amount of goodwill through the XP plugin and that would immediately give them the standing in the market to go it alone and not be tied to the whims of MAXON development or potential future ownerships.

I bet if Insydium crowd funded this they'd be financed up to the eyeballs for the rest of their working lives. In the hundreds of #dailyRenders posted to Twitter I see XParticles everywhere, later this week it'll be #XP4 all over Twitter and C4D is just the host.

insidious |ɪnˈsɪdɪəsadjective proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with very harmful effects (to the host)

HSrdelic    655
    15 hours ago, Cutman said:

A denial is not in anyway shape or form debunking of anything

Hm, that is odd, then everyone in the company, including CEO's don't know anything about it for months :lol:

Let me simplify - whoever posted this simply invented that story, there is no substance to it at all.

• Like 3

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, HSrdelic said:

Hm, that is odd, then everyone in the company, including CEO's don't know anything about it for months :lol:

Let me simplify - whoever posted this simply invented that story, there is no substance to it at all.

You don't say which CEOs.

We'll see if the story has any legs in due course but if anyone doesn't think an interested buyer with the right amount of cash wouldn't tempt Nemetshrek then you're kidding yourselves. There's no loyalty in business to staff or customers only to the markets and ROI.

The feel good story would've been Nemetshrek had been approached by company X and had rejected the offer and stated categorically that C4D was not for sale now or ever. But that no one is actually interested in C4D? Ah, well. I can hear violins... :lol:

HSrdelic    655
    3 minutes ago, Cutman said:

You don't say which CEOs.

The ones that make such decisions.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. Sure, every company can be bought or sold, but in this case it seems to me you are deliberately trying to unsettle people with this false story of acquisition. It is simply not happening. Can it happen? yes, everything is possible and it is also possible that people will stop spamming on forums :)

At the rate MAXON is growing in every aspect and given the Nemetschek success over the years I think it is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 30 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

The ones that make such decisions.

It makes a difference whether you're saying MAXON CEOs or Nemetshrek CEOs.

I've seen at close quarters how parent companies operate and below that board level not one single person would necessarily know if their company or asset was about to be sold.

Spamming now, eh? I'm pretty sure your page impressions spike when I post something, the natives can't resist clicking.

luchifer    34

Well. time will tell. while is easy to remember all the software Autodesk buried and discontinued (my beloved XSI was one of them), we must not rush into a conclusion... the article, while maybe true or not, doesn't indicate Autodesk is gonna buy MAXON. If / when its on sale, who knows? maybe we end up with Blackmagic, Adobe, The Foundry or even SideFX? At least Blackmagic could be good news for us, or an approachable Houdini within a C4D interface? (the pipeline is already there, right?)

Lets be optimistic. The first XSI update under Autodesk was good, and is still usable, and lets be realistic, XSI didnt have a huge userbase before Autodesk (although they did nothing to grow the userbase).

If Autodesk would want to end MAXON supremacy over ease of use, they should buy Insydium instead.

luchifer    34
    8 hours ago, Cutman said:

Insydium have their own Mograph system which will get its own nodal system in the future and they have their own renderer so it's not beyond the realms of possibility they could develop a highly focused standalone Mograph application and not be reliant on MAXON.

Insydium does not have its own render, they have a bridge to Cycles, but they dont develop it.

Also, while nodal xparticles is a must buy for me, it is a long way from low level access that Houdini have. I dont even know if MAXON / insydium want or can provide us with the same level of control. Not sure if even Maya can (its seven years after autodesk adquired ICE and they still cant implement it)

Fastbee    54

I've seen companies deny looking to sell then soon after it sells.  They won't say when they are up for sale and will deny claims they are up for sale.  Truth is every company is up for sale.  Go up and offer them enough money and it's yours.  That is how sales like this go.  No one knows about it, but the top brass.  I can imagine it being sold because Autodesk wants a monopoly.  I'd say what is keeping Autodesk from buying is that they would have to buy modo, Houdini, and C4D at the same time and even still people would go to blender after that.

Here is to hoping it's all a lie and R20 is be biggest release ever.

Cheers