How Does Autodesk Cinema 4D Sound?

luchifer    34

Let me ask Cutman, you love Houdini, how come did you never considered XSI? It had ICE since 2010 If I recall correctly, It had passes since forever, and it was non-destructive, yet modelling was faster than Houdini's.

Zmotive    57
5 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

:confused:

I think that I will kindly excuse myself from this thread. Obviously I should close down the Cafe, apply for a job at sideFX or AD since I am in total denial of events that will happen. Or already happened according to the article.

Nah! If it's all the same to you, stick around for a while yet. This forum is pretty good I'd say. :)

While it's not unheard of for parent companies to sell assets out from under the noses of the people working for said asset, I agree with your earlier statement that most likely that article is nothing more than fabricated crapola on the part of a web team desperate for page rank and eyeballs in an area where they don't get much.

arail    22
20 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

While it's not unheard of for parent companies to sell assets out from under the noses of the people working for said asset, I agree with your earlier statement that most likely that article is nothing more than fabricated crapola on the part of a web team desperate for page rank and eyeballs in an area where they don't get much.

I'm not sure that Bloomberg Tech can be so easily dismissed as 'fabricated crapola'. In fact, my concern about this is magnified due to the source.

BoganTW    5

my concern about this is magnified due to the source.

Go back and look at the article again.  Bloomberg said the info was stated 

according to people familiar with the matter

which may as well mean no-one.  No-one from Nemetschek would be contacting Bloomberg about it to leak against themselves - and if the people who know the info don't work for Nemetschek, why are they quoted anonymously again?  It's more than likely that the people don't exist.

More to the point, 

I'm not sure that Bloomberg Tech can be so easily dismissed as 'fabricated crapola'

Bloomberg have listed Cinema 4D in the headline as 'James Bond's 3D software' and illustrated the article with a big fat pic of Daniel Craig.  Do you think they did those two things to help impart newsworthy info, or to dredge up clicks?  It doesn't inspire a lot of faith in their intentions with the article.

Fythos    14

Not impossible but i doubt it. And it's useless speculating based on an article with the little info they provide.

So... sorry, not gonna be bothered by some guy with a cardboard sign telling us the doomsday is coming so he can get the kicks with trying to make us  'plebs' freak out and bail just because he dislikes some C4D doesn't have and feels we should follow his path.

"It might rain in 6 months.. be prepared, get shelter now!!!" Be right there buddy, you go on first... *eyeroll*

• Like 1

VECTOR    392
5 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

Some good advice from Cutman, quoting from 11/12/2017:

"Right, that's it from me, I don't want to be THAT person who has moved to a different application and spends the next few years brow beating people who use the previous application. It gets old quickly.

So cheers everyone and see you around maybe over on the sidefx forums if you happen to be in the area. "

that's rather ironic don't you think

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

@Cutman

Judging by your posts I can say that you clearly have no clue about:

A. Software development.

B. Size and scope of companies and products you are referring too in your post

C. Resources needed to write a fully fledged DCC

The only thing you seem to be good about is insulting other members and endless spamming. Didn't you jump ship to Houdini?I now received way more messages which ask me to ban you than I would like, so please, act maturely if you are able to otherwise we will have no options since you violated Cafe rules too many times.

Hrvojie,

Please could you point to examples where I have spammed the forum I am genuinely confused by your insistence that I have? In 3DKiwi's time The Lounge was always the area to discuss general topics and industry announcements and long before I was a member I visited The Lounge as it was a good digest of what was happening in the creative industries. I realise the forums in no longer as busy as it was in those days but if The Lounge is no longer the place to discuss anything other than C4D related subject you might want to change the description.

Well, you've certainly said, on more than one occasion, that I have no clue about certain things but the problem writing off a company like Insydium who have out developed MAXON in their own backyard and provided Motion Graphics artists a reason to stay with C4D while MAXON remained MIA buying up plugins and releasing filler release after filler release with half cooked features. Insydium saw a huge opportunity then and I suggest they will have a battle chest brimmed to over flowing as a result of XP4's release and they will go on to bigger and better things because they've shown themselves to be extremely good at what they do and I hope they're all filthy reach as a result.

There has been no greater impact on motion graphics than XParticles just look what they brought to the table, a multithreaded high performance particle engine, smoke, fluids, VDB etc etc exactly the tools motion graphics artists need on a day by day basis and kept C4D in the game. Even Nitroman brought fracturing to C4D long before MAXON and vital feature for artists to stay relevant. If XP did not exist do you really think as many C4D artists would've hung around so long? I don't.

Insydium may or may not produce a standalone Mograph application but they certainly have the wherewithal as do many small focussed teams with candy attitude and they certainly have a lot of goodwill to trade with. I did not say it would happen overnight and it would take years of work but they have shown they're more in tune with the needs of motion graphics artists than MAXON currently and I would expect them to succeed. As far as MAXON is concerned I'm still struggling to understand why ProRender was chosen and who would benefit from the slowest GPU renderer ever released? This typifies the direction C4D has been going in for a while.

Hrvojie, you don't need to ban me or threaten to ban me if you feel my posts are beyond the pale just ask me to no longer post here and I'll never post again. It's you forum and your rules and if posting anything other than C4D articles is now considered 'spamming' then all you need to do is ask. I might pop by when R20 is announced to imbibe on the palpable sense of disappointment but I won't post ever again. Your call.

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, luchifer said:

Let me ask Cutman, you love Houdini, how come did you never considered XSI? It had ICE since 2010 If I recall correctly, It had passes since forever, and it was non-destructive, yet modelling was faster than Houdini's.

Yes I did. But we were an all Mac studio at the time and Windows was going through rather a troubled time and there were rumours of AD killing off XSI so we didn't buy it and low and behold AD killed XSI.

I did remark at the time on a soft image forum that if AD killed off XSI it would still be 5 years ahead of C4D. I can see I was very wrong at the time it was more like 10 years ahead of C4D at the current rate of development and is still at least 5 years ahead right now.

MAXON sent their Cineversity people to the forum to try and drum up interest but the XSI people either stayed with XSI or went to Houdini. I don't know of anyone there who bought C4D.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for.

Jimh    0
    2 hours ago, Cutman said:

Well, you've certainly said, on more than one occasion, that I have no clue about certain things but the problem writing off a company like Insydium who have out developed MAXON in their own backyard and provided Motion Graphics artists a reason to stay with C4D while MAXON remained MIA buying up plugins and releasing filler release after filler release with half cooked features. Insydium saw a huge opportunity then and I suggest they will have a battle chest brimmed to over flowing as a result of XP4's release and they will go on to bigger and better things because they've shown themselves to be extremely good at what they do and I hope they're all filthy reach as a result.

There has been no greater impact on motion graphics than XParticles just look what they brought to the table, a multithreaded high performance particle engine, smoke, fluids, VDB etc etc exactly the tools motion graphics artists need on a day by day basis and kept C4D in the game. Even Nitroman brought fracturing to C4D long before MAXON and vital feature for artists to stay relevant. If XP did not exist do you really think as many C4D artists would've hung around so long? I don't.

Insydium may or may not produce a standalone Mograph application but they certainly have the wherewithal as do many small focussed teams with candy attitude and they certainly have a lot of goodwill to trade with. I did not say it would happen overnight and it would take years of work but they have shown they're more in tune with the needs of motion graphics artists than MAXON currently and I would expect them to succeed. As far as MAXON is concerned I'm still struggling to understand why ProRender was chosen and who would benefit from the slowest GPU renderer ever released? This typifies the direction C4D has been going in for a while.

Sad but true. I really, really, really... hope that R20 is the big "wow" release that many are expecting it to be as this may be the tipping point for some if it is not. 

luchifer    34
    4 hours ago, Cutman said:

Yes I did. But we were an all Mac studio at the time and Windows was going through rather a troubled time and there were rumours of AD killing off XSI so we didn't buy it and low and behold AD killed XSI.

I did remark at the time on a soft image forum that if AD killed off XSI it would still be 5 years ahead of C4D. I can see I was very wrong at the time it was more like 10 years ahead of C4D at the current rate of development and is still at least 5 years ahead right now.

MAXON sent their Cineversity people to the forum to try and drum up interest but the XSI people either stayed with XSI or went to Houdini. I don't know of anyone there who bought C4D.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for.

I dont remember windows going through dark ages, For 3d work I have used SGI and Intel, Irix, DOS, Windows NT and what we have today. (Explorer, Parallax Matador, Softimage 3D, Alias Wavefront, Maya, 3dstudio 4.0, XSI, and today) Working in Mac never crossed my mind, C4D was the first 3d software I knew that worked on Mac without issues.

I bought C4D after XSI went EOL, some forum members bought it too -Noseman made a really cool intro of what C4D was capable of on si-community, Brad from Luxology wrote a love leter to XSI, and Houdini created a forum for people to transition. It was and is still ahead of the competition in many areas but sadly not all of them, it lacks fluids inside the app (and no plugin to compensate). I remember the rumors started on XSI mailing list in 2012, but at the time we got really great updates from Autodesk, including Face Robot (a really expensive plugin) and Lagoa Multiphysics for free at the top of my mind, so many of us didnt believe the rumors.

I moved to C4D because of the work I was doing at the time -although I never really left- XSI didnt have a proper Type Tool (If I recall it lacked a lot of functionality), the splines tools were subpar at best (again, no plugin to compensate), and C4D copy/paste from scene to scene helped with  my work really fast.  Mental Ray was quite slow -and it wasnt the latest version- and Redshift wasnt there at the time (or maybe I didnt knew it existed?). I still miss XSI partition system.

As the UI doesnt scale properly, is hard for me to stay working with it (a 4K monitor with XSI is unreadable)

Im not even gonna ask what compelled you to talk about C4D being behind Houdini on a Softimage forum hehe.

Cheers.

luchifer    34

Anyway, back to the topic... why Autodesk would want to buy MAXON? If they did people would flock to Houdini, Modo, Blender. Plus, they already have Mash, and actively working to implement it. It doesnt make sense to buy a 3DD app that can do motion graphics to compete with Maya. What they dont have at the moment, is a node based procedural software they could buy that they cant compete with.... I wonder.....

grain    107
    4 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Anyway, back to the topic... why Autodesk would want to buy MAXON? If they did people would flock to Houdini, Modo, Blender. Plus, they already have Mash, and actively working to implement it. It doesnt make sense to buy a 3DD app that can do motion graphics to compete with Maya. What they dont have at the moment, is a node based procedural software they could buy that they cant compete with.... I wonder.....

If you were a cynic you might think they'd want to kill it, Softimage style..